Lukas666

Anyone else have this annoying issue?

20 hours ago, Lukas666 said:

I noticed while assembling and centering the servo that the spine drive was always off to one side in the centered position. Pull it off and try to correct it and it’s off to the opposite side. Weird. 

It probably wont fit in the centre without adjusting the steering trim, my servo does that, the splines are off to either side, it's worse with my absima radio gear as there's not a lot of steering trim adjustment, I have to have it at 15 degrees to one side before its centred, i think it's due to the position of the splines in the servo horn. 

On 2/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, LeftyAl said:

I have found that the metal splined servos tend to need a fine thread screw. Are you using the screw that came with the Savox or the course thread one from the Hornet kit.

When diagnosing issues like this I would take the servo saver apart, feel for any burred edges (smooth out of need be) and reassemble. When tightening the screw you should get no back and forward movement from the servo saver (it should be a good tight fit).

image.png.07b29cddc46793f6ff3d408b9899cc3b.png

Sometimes the screw can be too long or too short. If too long you can put a extra spacer in with P1.

Does P5 or P6 fit your Savox servo?

It could be the servo, I've had brand new servos misbehave and I found out the hard way that ebay had plenty of fake Futaba S3003 servos. Do you have another servo to check against? 

P5 fits the Savox servos both on my lunchbox and the Hornet. But I did notice on my lunchbox I used a different screw and I used a leftover steel washer from the kit and the whole assembly moves very effortlessly by hand. I’ll need to check this today it’s bugging the badword outta me.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, LeftyAl said:

I have found that the metal splined servos tend to need a fine thread screw. Are you using the screw that came with the Savox or the course thread one from the Hornet kit.

When diagnosing issues like this I would take the servo saver apart, feel for any burred edges (smooth out of need be) and reassemble. When tightening the screw you should get no back and forward movement from the servo saver (it should be a good tight fit).

image.png.07b29cddc46793f6ff3d408b9899cc3b.png

Sometimes the screw can be too long or too short. If too long you can put a extra spacer in with P1.

Does P5 or P6 fit your Savox servo?

It could be the servo, I've had brand new servos misbehave and I found out the hard way that ebay had plenty of fake Futaba S3003 servos. Do you have another servo to check against? 

I used P5 on both my Hornet and lunchbox. I just noticed the lunch box I used a different screw with a washer and it seems to rotate by hand way more effortlessly. I need to re check this again, what a pain. 
I installed a different machine screw left out of the Hornet kit with a washer and the spacer from the steering parts tree and this fixed this issue totally. The servo saver moves very freely now and it drives straight as an arrow and stays that way. The black Allan head machine screw I used that came with the Savox servo was causing the issues. Maybe it was the large diameter shoulder on it I dunno but it’s fixed. Thanks for your help guys this thread didn’t need to be this long but if it helps someone else out down the road also then great.

• Like 2

I'd toss the stock servo saver right away, and replace it with a High Torque or Kimbrough. The stupid plastic "spring" is too weak and sloppy to center correctly and consistently after a hit, and decent metal gear digital servos center pretty well. You won't have to worry about the servo gears - if that servo can withstand a 12 lb crawler cartwheeling down a long hill, it can withstand a 3 lb buggy bumping curbs - but the stiff servo savers will protect the plastic suspension and steering parts.

Most of the "steering won't center" issues I see are weak or worn-out servo savers; the rest are either bent steering parts, binding suspension, excessive slop, or a failing servo.

27 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

I'd toss the stock servo saver right away, and replace it with a High Torque or Kimbrough. The stupid plastic "spring" is too weak and sloppy to center correctly and consistently after a hit, and decent metal gear digital servos center pretty well. You won't have to worry about the servo gears - if that servo can withstand a 12 lb crawler cartwheeling down a long haul, it can withstand a 3 lb buggy bumping curbs - but the stuff servo savers will protect the plastic suspension and steering parts.

Most of the "steering won't center" issues I see are weak or worn-out servo savers; the rest are either bent steering parts, binding suspension, excessive slop, or a failing servo.

That’s fine and makes sense.... I plan on running this car and seeing the weak points and what wears out and or breaks first and then going from there. A lot of components in these kits are pretty light duty.