Ryz82

Rims & Tyres ... why so hard ?!?!

OK.

So what are the common dimensions out there ? Trying to find the right combination, and its driving me nuts; as most times the website doesn't list the dimensions, only that it (the rim) can be used with these (tyres) or vice versa and neither usually listing the dimensions.

From what i can see Tamiya typically runs with 26mm width and a diameter of ? 50ish ?? Along with 24mm, but then I'm also seeing some listed as 25mm ?

I think my problem stems from, and this is completely subjective, but not wanting chrome - or don't hate me if this is your thing - "ricer" drift rims.

I've been looking at the following combinations for my TT-02 - and as you'll see, the rims in particular aren't traditional touring car style rims, but i like their look and think they might work for what i want to do paint and body wise. 

IF anyone is running any of these, either in combination already, or simply has them and can verify dimensions etc before i pull the pin on an order, would be greatly appreciated - also open to recommendations for tyres for carpark style bashing, so preferably not slicks, as likely to get chewed up too quickly; or non-spoke dark rims.

Tyres:

- Tamiya Racing Semi Slick (50810) 26mm width ?; diameter unknown?

- Tamiya Celica GT4 (50419) 26mm width ?; diameter unknown?

- Tamiya 4WD/FWD M2 Radial (53227) 26mm width; diameter unknown?

in combination with either of the follow

- Tamiya Wheels for F350 (19335460) 26mm width; diameter 52mm - probably will have too big a diameter, but i really like the look of them

- Tamiya SW-01 Mini Lunchbox (47450) width unknown? diameter unknown? - probably too small a diameter as racing truck style, but again like the look

Im just trying to find some wheels that aren't your run of the mill plastic 5-10 spoke.

Good luck bro. I'm having the same problem trying to find some rims for my Tamiya radials right now. Been trying to find ones that are similar to the XXR wheels I had on my Evo. Seems unpossible. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

OK.

So what are the common dimensions out there ? Trying to find the right combination, and its driving me nuts; as most times the website doesn't list the dimensions, only that it (the rim) can be used with these (tyres) or vice versa and neither usually listing the dimensions.

From what i can see Tamiya typically runs with 26mm width and a diameter of ? 50ish ?? Along with 24mm, but then I'm also seeing some listed as 25mm ?

I think my problem stems from, and this is completely subjective, but not wanting chrome - or don't hate me if this is your thing - "ricer" drift rims.

I've been looking at the following combinations for my TT-02 - and as you'll see, the rims in particular aren't traditional touring car style rims, but i like their look and think they might work for what i want to do paint and body wise. 

IF anyone is running any of these, either in combination already, or simply has them and can verify dimensions etc before i pull the pin on an order, would be greatly appreciated - also open to recommendations for tyres for carpark style bashing, so preferably not slicks, as likely to get chewed up too quickly; or non-spoke dark rims.

Tyres:

- Tamiya Celica GT4 (50419) 26mm width ?; diameter unknown?

- Tamiya 4WD/FWD M2 Radial (53227) 26mm width; diameter unknown?

in combination with either of the follow

- Tamiya Wheels for F350 (19335460) 26mm width; diameter 52mm - probably will have too big a diameter, but i really like the look of them

- Tamiya SW-01 Mini Lunchbox (47450) width unknown? diameter unknown? - probably too small a diameter as racing truck style, but again like the look

Im just trying to find some wheels that aren't your run of the mill plastic 5-10 spoke.

I don't think you need to over think this, touring car wheels and tyreshave been the same since the 90s, as long as they're 12mm hex. I have touring car wheels from the 90s that fit my modern touring cars.

This may help, it shows the dimensions and the list of suggested wheels

https://www.rcjaz.co.nz/tamiya-50810-sp810-racing-semislick-tire-p-3888.html

You should be ok buying anything for touring cars with a 12mm hex. If the offset is wrong you could change the hexes (but it may look funny...)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You should be ok buying anything for touring cars with a 12mm hex. If the offset is wrong you could change the hexes (but it may look funny...)

Thats the first instance ive seen of the store listing both the track width and inner dimension; on anything. Which was nice to see, however ...

41 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This may help, it shows the dimensions and the list of suggested wheels

Its the 'suggestions' that always tend to be your generic looking 5-10 spokes. The few of those types of rims ive seen (Tamiya or otherwise) that arent fully chrome or "ricer" looking - again subjective - usually have a massive offset as they deemed 'drift' rims; and im pretty sure sticking 6+ offset on TT-02 with a 190mm body is going to look a little ridiculous; based on my XV-01 with the Tamiya rally rims, im thinking +2/3 offset is about the limit with that chassis/body width before rubbing or obsurdity kicks in.

Perhaps i should've bought an M chassis, some of those rims actually look good :(

1 hour ago, Willsls1 said:

Good luck bro. I'm having the same problem trying to find some rims for my Tamiya radials right now. Been trying to find ones that are similar to the XXR wheels I had on my Evo. Seems unpossible. 

Tell me about it. Im even extending my search to cheaper brands and rims, in the advent i could at least possibly spray them. But alas, nothing grabbing my fancy as yet.

3 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

Tell me about it. Im even extending my search to cheaper brands and rims, in the advent i could at least possibly spray them. But alas, nothing grabbing my fancy as yet.

so shelf or running?

I never really car about the rims, its just something to drive on.

basically I like OEM look of cars and devide rims by, Europe, America and Asia. the are different, asian style rims look rice on european cars but custom on american or jdm.

European rims are kind of modern look and lightweight while american rims can be heavy and old skool ish or just some are terrible.

but its a subjective view. basically touring car ris are size wise 24 or 26mm some are 32mm.

tires from MST are really good, looking like a 17inch low profile tire.

also their rims are very good.

look for MST

7 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

I've got a TT02-R. This is with the stock 24mm wheels and slicks
IMG_2025.jpg

This is with some fancier 26mm wheels and the Semi Racing Slicks

6C24FCEA-F14C-48D3-A9C4-A3BCA35FD02A.jpg

In the photos that 2mm doesn't seem to make much difference but with the car to hand the 26mm do seem bigger

The wheels are 'Tamiya Red Plated 2-Piece 6-Spoke Wheels 26mm Width + 6 Offset 54553'

That offset is fine for that M3 body but it doesn't work so well on the Supra

B2F0FEBC-94FC-4A25-92BA-3920A585914F.jpg

My favourite looking wheel so far has been these

BC697219-EC25-4023-A971-3D6621C5B2EB.jpg

They're 26mm, on a set of the Semi Racing Slicks.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-rtr-wheel-26mm-gunmetal-6mm-offset-2pcs-/rc-car-products/378704

I think (it was a few years ago)

I've found myself running on lower grip surfaces - asphalt, concrete etc. To me the Semi Racing Slicks are fun and fine on those surfaces, but my amateur senses did notice the difference when I put on some racing slicks, even if they were rated for higher temperatures.

So I'd second @Fabia130vRSs MST recommendation, they do lots more interesting wheels. I've found they tend to be 26mm, whereas a lot of the Tamiya ones are 'narrow', so 24mm.

Hehe i was starting a simillar post where i tried to figure out what will fit my Agrios (execpt where it say it will fit txt-2 ofc), same goes for my buggies. It would be so much easier it they could write down the standard meassurments for tire/rims, if that even exist.

I got Zero replies in my post so i will trye and see if i can pick up something i  your post even though your not using same chassis.

@Fabia130vRS will be a runner, and yes even though rims in this case dont mean much, id still like something less generic "stock kit" style rims.

I've started looking at some MST rims, are they predominately large diameter (since they are targetted at drift, which tend to run low profile tyres vs what the Tamiya Semi Slicks look) ? Am open to any Tyres if that fit the rims; as long as rubber and good on concrete/asphalt and racing and not drifting.

@jupitertwo wow, i thought the 6mm offset would be much worse than that. Initially ill be running the Tamiya Mustang GT4 body, so im thinking with its design it will probalby be similar to your BMW, so i might be able to get away with larger than 3mm - and yes, have noticed a lot of Tamiya rims are their medium/narrow or 24mm and not 26 - which was again part of the reason for this post. Its just frustrating when searching and it doesnt mention, and you have to constantly search for the 'suggested' rim or tyres listed against them; hoping one will tell you the dimensions.

As is, the Tamiya Semi Racing Slicks are 26mm and then 45mm inner which as far as i know pretty much counts out any possible "drift" rims, MST or otherwise, as they are from the few i've managed to obtain dimensions of 50+mm inner diameter, as drift tyres seem to be super low-profile.

I dont mind these options from MST or Yokomo, but the Yokomo ones clearly state 52mm diameter - where as the MST ones have no diameter measurements

https://www.rcmart.com/yokomo-enkei-rp-03-drift-wheel-tw-2413-00026865

https://www.rcmart.com/yokomo-racing-performer-offset-6mm-high-traction-rim-2-pcs-titanium-for-1-10-rwd-drift-car-rp-6313t6-00078549

https://www.rcmart.com/mst-236-rim-offset-5-4-pcs-flat-sliver-for-1-10-rc-drift-832071fs-00084310

https://www.rcmart.com/mst-5-spokes-offset-5-rim-4-pcs-flat-silver-for-1-10-rc-drift-832004fs-00082844

I have seen those red rims, if they were available in a matte black or gun metal id probably pick some up; the red definately wont go with the particular paint scheme i have in mind haha.

1 hour ago, simalarion said:

Hehe i was starting a simillar post where i tried to figure out what will fit my Agrios (execpt where it say it will fit txt-2 ofc), same goes for my buggies. It would be so much easier it they could write down the standard meassurments for tire/rims, if that even exist.

I got Zero replies in my post so i will trye and see if i can pick up something i  your post even though your not using same chassis.

Hopefully it helps you with some ideas/suggestions also ...

I don't have any larger scale monster trucks, so i cant help you out with the Agrios; but i would've thought they would be more standardised e.g. pick either 1.9" - 2.2" rim size, and track width wouldn't change ?

17 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

@Fabia130vRS will be a runner, and yes even though rims in this case dont mean much, id still like something less generic "stock kit" style rims.

I've started looking at some MST rims, are they predominately large diameter (since they are targetted at drift, which tend to run low profile tyres vs what the Tamiya Semi Slicks look) ? Am open to any Tyres if that fit the rims; as long as rubber and good on concrete/asphalt and racing and not drifting.

The mst tires that look like real one are very good for asphalt and streets.

totally recommend.

The tires fit on any touring rim.

https://driftmission.com/mst-realistic-rc-touring-car-tires/

5 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

The tires fit on any touring rim.

Will check them out, do you know what the inner diameter is ? As mentioned in my reply above with the few MST and Yokomo rims I've looked at, the Yokomos clearly state 52mm diameter (which im assuming is normal/standard for 1:10 "Drift" rims) where as the MST have no dimensions that i can find listed anywhere - even on the MST website :(

20 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

I've started looking at some MST rims, are they predominately large diameter (since they are targetted at drift, which tend to run low profile tyres vs what the Tamiya Semi Slicks look) ?

I think you'll find that all modern (read: made after the 90's) 'touring car' wheels/rims/tyres are the same diameter. There are some exceptions like the HPI vintage and tamiya racing trucks, but most are the same. 

I think it cripples the hobby when manufacturers don't make this information readily available. To me it's totally baffling - it should be the first thing you tell people. The other dimension is wheelbase for the shells, why would they *not* list that. The only manufacturer I see do it reliably is Proline.

2 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

Will check them out, do you know what the inner diameter is ? As mentioned in my reply above with the few MST and Yokomo rims I've looked at, the Yokomos clearly state 52mm diameter (which im assuming is normal/standard for 1:10 "Drift" rims) where as the MST have no dimensions that i can find listed anywhere - even on the MST website :(

No, but as said all touring car rims fit by inner diameter, just tire width can be choosen. Even 26-24 will fit on each.

2 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

No, but as said all touring car rims fit by inner diameter, just tire width can be choosen. Even 26-24 will fit on each.

Key word their is "touring" ive found a lot of those rims to be the generic type im trying to avoid; but the alternatives in the drift category are looking like larger diameter, and find non plastic or hard (drift) slicks for them then becomes the problem ... but again with not many sites listing this diameter its just frustrating :(

Maybe i am just too fuzzy, or maybe ill just have to bite the bullet on some options and just see what works ...

19 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

but the alternatives in the drift category are looking like larger diameter,

As I say, I think you'll find they're the same (standardised) outer diameter. The centre diameter might be different - i.e., there might be more or less of a lip which makes the wheel look a different diameter, but the outer diameter is standardised.

I have a few sets of 'drift' rims that luckily came without tyres, or the hard plastic tyres that they came with come off, and regular rubber touring car sized tyres (like the ones you listed in the original post) will fit. Can't be sure that's the case for all drift wheels though.

And as has been said before, 24, 25 & 26mm 'touring car sized' tyres and wheels all fit on each other (rubber is flexible)

42 minutes ago, rich_f said:

I have a few sets of 'drift' rims that luckily came without tyres, or the hard plastic tyres that they came with come off, and regular rubber touring car sized tyres (like the ones you listed in the original post) will fit. Can't be sure that's the case for all drift wheels though.

Well that gives me some hope, i think im just going to have to bite the bullet on a set or two and see; and since @jupitertwo has some larger (6mm) offset rims running on the TT-02 without it looking hideous (body obviously makes a difference) hopefully it all works out.

1 hour ago, isomer1 said:

I think it cripples the hobby when manufacturers don't make this information readily available. To me it's totally baffling - it should be the first thing you tell people. The other dimension is wheelbase for the shells, why would they *not* list that. The only manufacturer I see do it reliably is Proline.

Ive found it to be more consistant on the bodies, though i have often times still missed the clearly listed dimensions; like when i bought the 250mm 240z body for my 257m XV-01 hahah at least the TT-01 (and i believe still the 2) can adjust from 250ish to 257ish