rojo21

CC 02 Gwagon

Hi Just built up the chassis and fitted stock electrics , gearbox is the slower version. I usually built rc tanks , want it for trail /light crawling . It’s a little fast, any recommendations for esc and motors to make it better for trail running.  Usually run Tamiya tanks , changing the esc to Elmod  for scale speed.

Don't have a CC02, but there are a few ways to get less speed > You can limit throttle in your radio or in your ESC (if they have the ability), install a higher turn motor, install a smaller pinion gear.  Of all of these, I would go with a higher turn brushed motor (55-65t should do it).  A smaller pinion is also a good way to go, but not sure how small you can go on the CC02 and if it will be enough to get you where you want to be.

If you end up changing the ESC, get the Hobbywing 1080.  Fully adjustable drag brake (and other parameters, comes with program card) which is what you'll want on any crawler.

I’d suggest a Tamiya CR Tuned motor (35t) and an Axial AE-5 ESC. The CR motor, with properly seated brushes, provides great low RPM operation and easy maintenance.  The AE-5 ESC is economical, robust, waterproof and offers exceptional low speed throttle control.

The hobby wing 1080 crawler esc has a great drag break, really transformed my cc-02

• Like 1

Found out the Tamiya esc is dying, the servo plug to the rx is only showing 2.8 volts across red and d black now. Have wired another servo lead to the battery to give a good voltage, the rx is ratted up to 9v according to the spec for the Orange rx. Its l working for now, have ordered some brushed T55 /T80 combi units. Opened the esc up and its not the cable at fault, going to bin it. 

16134032235448995455313095508886.jpg

Tamiya ESCs typically have weak BEC output, but I believe the TBLE-02S is rated at 6v so that is indeed a bit low.  I would swap for the HW 1080, you'll be very happy with it.  In addition to the adjustable parameters is has an optional 7.4v BEC output which I love, especially for 4ws vehicles. 

Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Surpass Hobby 5 pole 16 turn motor. The 5 pole motors have better low rpm capability than a standard motor. I have this combination in a TRX4 and its great, will drive far slower than anything else I have.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 6:22 AM, FooRCscale said:

The 5 pole motors have better low rpm capability than a standard motor.

Does that mean generally lower RPM?  For example, 16t 5 pole would have similar RPM as 27 turn with 3 pole?   

• Like 1

Hobbywing 1080 and Team Brood 35t motor for me.  Still just a touch too fast...

Terry

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

Does that mean generally lower RPM?  For example, 16t 5 pole would have similar RPM as 27 turn with 3 pole?   

That is correct. These are the figures from the web site: 

550/5 Slot 16T
Turns:16T
No-load current:<1.1A
No-load PRM:9500±12%RPM
Plugging current:5.7-30.5A
Torsion:≥2068.1 g.cm

5505-SlotBrushed motor Specifications:
Brand: Surpass Hobby

Type: 550/5 Slot

Suit for 1/10 RC Crawlers  Car
Voltage(LIPO):7.4V
Shaft dia: 3.175mm
Motor dia: 36mm
Weight: 215g
Turn:CCW

I run it with the biggest pinion gear that the TRX4 motor mount will allow and on 3S lipo.

I have just bought a CC02 and plan to put a 550/5 slot 10T in it.

The other thing I had to do to get it running in the correct direction for the TRX4 was to turn the end bell through 180deg and I added about 10 to 12deg of timing.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned many times already, the HW 1080 is the right ESC. A lot of settings can be made. Perfect for crawling (and non-crawling applications too).

• Like 2