Tamiya1973

Tamiya Lunch Box

Hi

About to build a Lunch Box. Any tips and advice on how to stop it from doing wheelies and drive more like a Monster Beetle? I will upgrade the dampers to CVA to start with. 

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Many will suggest some variation of the gearbox mod. It comes in many forms, all of which feature updating the front mount of the gearbox to limit movement. Older variations are the '5th shock' mod you'll find googling. Newer variations are largely based on the update found in the Madbull: a hard mount point that lets the gearbox rotate without slapping against the frame on hard acceleration. The cheapest implementation uses fishing line, probably the most robust is AmPro: https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/transmission-brace-for-tamiya-rc-cw01-lunchbox

As to wheelies specifically: the wheelie bar has two mounting options. The standard 'up' position allows the vehicle to wheelie freely. The optional 'down' positions will hold the vehicle down. That down position will also cause the wheelie bar to dig in to the ground and limit movement offroad, so it's probably something you just have to try in your driving conditions. It's easy enough though, just rotate the mount with one screw.

You'll also see weights attached to the front of the chassis. These are often automotive weights intended for tire balancing. They are generally quite cheap and have adhesive backing.

The lunchbox is much loved on this forum, I imagine you'll find many suggestions. If you have not already done so, you'd probably get a lot out of perusing the showrooms for ideas: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/userrides.asp?id=663

• Like 1

Buy a Monster Beetle ?  ;)

Seriously though . The LB is a totally different beast from the the MB . It is designed to wheelie , You can add weight to the front in the 'pit' . Bearings in the wheels and gearbox . Oil dampers . Front tub brace , rear deck brace . Trans brace  - Double wishbone front conversion -  just to start with .

I am guilty of going overboard and doing all of the above to my Lunchbox, which now looks and handles nothing like a Lunchbox 😀

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Tamiya1973 said:

Hi

About to build a Lunch Box. Any tips and advice on how to stop it from doing wheelies and drive more like a Monster Beetle? I will upgrade the dampers to CVA to start with. 

Thank you in advance.

Shorten up the shocks in the front and give it a rake that’ll help.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, Tamiya1973 said:

Hi

Thank you in advance.

Incase anyone hasnt beaten me to it. The advice is DON`T. Build it and run it like a Lunchbox or you will loose the fun out of it