Heliwilly

Honda Africa Twin

Hi, I am about to start building a Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin and was horrified to find that I needed about 15 TS aerosols @ approx £10 each. As I am not a serial modeller, most of the aerosols would be wasted. Does anyone know if there are any X orXF colours that equate to the TS aerosol colours that I need, or indeed any other paint producers, ie Humbrol that do similar colours.

Many thanks

BillW.

I have made a start by making a spare set of wheels using the metal spoke kit available. Took a lot of figuring out but turned out OK

Bill W

C6896E62-E5C3-4BDC-8914-F19D227D4D2F.jpeg

1ED691AA-D35B-4D08-B4F0-EB0FCF605BE0.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve got one under the bed still not started. I agree the paint combination is startling. If you google model paint comparison charts that may help you. You would not believe the different blacks greys etc that there are. Would love it if you were to do a build thread. Don’t think there would be any complaints from Admin as it’s Tamiya. I certainly would follow, might even get it out from under the bed!!!

• Like 2

Huh... I always assumed the X/XF numbers and the TS numbers were the same. Apparently they aren't? That's disappointing. I've never bothered with Tamiya spray cans, but then I rarely build anything "by the book" anyway.

A good example is Olive drab. There are several different xf versions but only one ts and it’s different to all of them. I have to decant the spray if I need to touch up.

Edited by Busdriver

On 2/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, Heliwilly said:

I have made a start by making a spare set of wheels using the metal spoke kit available. Took a lot of figuring out but turned out OK

Bill W

Those look great!!! How are the spokes attached to the rim? Are they glued in or do they have a proper threaded nipple? If so do you need a jig to get the hub to sit in the centre of the wheel?

Markbt73, the X numbers  are gloss, the XF are Flat and the TS I think are just gloss. There are AS for acrylic spray and LS for Lacquer Spray. That’s my interpretation.

Superluminal.

The spoke kit I used came with brass eyelets that requires the rim drilling out to 1.3mm, taking into account the angle the spoke goes from the rim to the hub. When fitted and I was happy with it I put a small amount of epoxy, Araldite, on the top of each spoke and let it dry. For my next set, l have bought some 0.7mm steel rod and some alloy tube with a 0.7mm inside diameter. That way both the spoke and nipple are the same colour. Just need a coat of clear lacquer. Cheers Bill W.

• Like 1

Superluminal. 
There is a jig supplied with the kit to help line up the plastic spokes if you are using them. I used the jig to line up all the plastic spokes, then I cut off the guide spoke half way and removed the spokes from the jig. Then I noted the angles the spoke entered the hub, I then drilled the hub about 2mm deep. I refitted the spokes to the jig and checked the spoke I had just drilled fitted by passing some 0.7mm rod through the rim and made sure it fitted the hub OK. Then I drilled the rim out 1.3mm to fit the nipple. Once that was checked I used a 2mm drill to ease out the rim to take the head of the nipple. 
That was one spoke, it was the same procedure for the other spokes. That’s probably why it took about 6 hours to do a wheel, with breaks for a cuppa. Cheers Bill W.

• Like 1

Wow! That sounds intense. It looks well worth putting in the effort though based on how good they look.

Have you got the metal link chain kit to go with it?

Superluminal,

I have a chain that I bought for a 1/6 scale Honda CB 750, thinking it would fit all Tamiya 1/6 scale bikes. I found this was not so. Contacted Tamiya and was told that it had been their intention for the chain to fit all the 1/6 bikes but the idea was shelved so it only fits the AfricaTwin.

My son has just bought a 3D printer. When he gets more proficient with it, I might ask him if he can do a CB750 rear and gearbox cog with the same tooth spacing as the Africa Twin.  
Cheers

Bill W.

• Like 2

Another bit done. This has been ongoing for a while as the parts are so small and fequire a magnifying lamp, tweezers, a steady hand and patience.

Cheers. Bill W

B3ABFB92-7DC2-4335-821A-EFD676AA9EF4.jpeg

• Like 2

The engine and the frame are the easy bits. Now the fiddly bits start! 
It is definitely a build you can’t rush. Too easy to cement a part in and realise there are a few more steps to take before that part is cemented and it has to be carefully deconstructed and done in the right order. No second guessing.
Plenty of dry constructing before the final assembly. Should be worth it in the end.

Cheers Bill W.

I have made a few sets of the Africa Twin metals spoked wheels for a few who have asked.  The rims can be painted scheme “A” TS 21 metallic Gold, or scheme “B” TS-29 (X-18) Semi Gloss Black. If anyone wants a set making, I will need the sprues “K”, “L” and “M”.
Depending on the level of the finished wheels needed, for a completely finished Front wheel I would need G24 and G25, along with G35 x 12 and S 1 and screw ME1 (1.6x3mm) x 12.

For the Rear wheel I would need G7, G14, G33, S2 and ME1 x 9.

If anyone is interested the cost would be £50.

e-mail me at       bill@worsley.karoo.co.uk

Cheers Bill W.

Edited by Heliwilly
  • Like 1

Thanks for that alvinlwh.  Seem to be spending a lot of time making metal spoked wheel sets for people than working on my own Africa Twin. I seem to have acquired a quantity of Tamiya paints. The conversion tool will be very useful.

Thanks.

Bill W.

I have an Africa Twin that is now at the engine in frame stage like yours. 0EAA5AD1-D63D-44E6-B804-70BBB037720C.jpeg.2e954f01229187eb00be9b090935456b.jpeg
374BF9A1-6F63-4255-A893-515C2F80DF51.jpeg.996e31c03984d168bd627fa68622b7b5.jpeg

A82C235D-48AE-4F2B-93F2-8F8E180D6980.jpeg.2ed5c280b69f2aeedc7c46675d5d8276.jpeg

I also have the chai set boy is that going to be a labour of love!!! I would be very interested in you doing a metal spoke job on mine. I presume your in the UK? I’ll pm you 

C48B7CA2-F253-45D5-957C-E494EE6E822F.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes I am based in the UK in Hull East Yorks. Chain is very fiddly with a lot of very small pieces. What colour scheme are you going with? Black wheels or Gold ones.

Bill W.

Best to email me bill@worsley.karoo.co.uk

Still undecided. Gold is more dramatic so probably that. I’ve already glue the rim halves together, that’s not an issue is it?

No problem at all. When you do decide the colour scheme and want me to do them, just take all the parts of the K, L and M sprues and depending on the level of completion and painting you require, the other parts mentioned from the  G and S sprues and the ME1 1.6 x 3mm screws. Package them well and send them to me. 

Cheers Bill W

9 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

No problem at all. When you do decide the colour scheme and want me to do them, just take all the parts of the K, L and M sprues and depending on the level of completion and painting you require, the other parts mentioned from the  G and S sprues and the ME1 1.6 x 3mm screws. Package them well and send them to me. 

Cheers Bill W

Will do. I suppose we should get a moderator to move this to the static model thread?

3 hours ago, Heliwilly said:

Probably a good idea.

Bill W.

Can you either pm me or email 

hollands.family@ntlworld.com an address and I’ll get the bits boxed up. How do you want paying? Can do PayPal or direct fast payment to a bank a/c?