Heliwilly

Honda Africa Twin

Just a question regarding micro-set and micro-sol. Where can I get it??  All uk suppliers seem to be out of stock. Postage from US is prohibitive.

Bill W.

33 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

Just a question regarding micro-set and micro-sol. Where can I get it??  All uk suppliers seem to be out of stock. Postage from US is prohibitive.

Bill W.

First suggestion will be brick and mortar hobby shops, or alternatively, try Mr Mark Setter (my preferred), £9 on Ebay. Also available will be Tamiya own Decal Adhesive + Mark Fit, also around £9 each. Another one will be Revell Decal Soft. I had not used the Tamiya or Revell ones before personally. 

3 hours ago, Heliwilly said:

Jeremy, 

I realised that and edited my post, two above yours. My mistake for not looking properly in the first place!!! 
Cheers Bill W.

Have you tried Hannants for Micro sol/set

9 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Have you tried Hannants for Micro sol/set

They have Zero stock on both.

2 hours ago, Heliwilly said:

They have Zero stock on both.

I just want to say if you cannot get Microsol, try Mr Mark Setter. It works good in Tamiya decals (different solution may work differently on different brands of decals) probably because GSI is also a Japanese company. 

Going to try Mr Mark. Ordered Setter, Softer more of  a problem. No stocks in uk. Still looking.

Bill W.

23 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

Going to try Mr Mark. Ordered Setter, Softer more of  a problem. No stocks in uk. Still looking.

Bill W.

Usually, you should not need Softer unless you are applying decals over, say a 1/35 tank engine grills.

I will see how things go with the setter and take it from there. Thanks for all the info.

Bill W.

I will see how things go with the setter and take it from there. Thanks for all the info.

Bill W.

Hi All,

Change of plan. 
I was going to build a New Old Stock Honda CB750 Racing Type, as I had already built one, and enjoyed it, so I bought this new old stock one.

Since then I have decided that I would rather build another Africa Twin in the alternative paint scheme.

If anyone has an unopened Africa Twin  and would like to swap. I would be interested.

Rather than buy another kit I would like to swap it. 

With the CB750 Racing Type, because I had problems with the decals on the one I built, I got RC Decals to make me another set. 

Thanks

Bill W.

PS
Just looking on Fleabay, and there are none available in the UK.

I will leave it on here for 7 days. If no swaps, it will go on Fleabay.

Cheers

Bill W.

Now posted on Fleabay. Bill W.

A6029AAC-8F0E-4FAD-B9AA-CB36399EB2C5.jpeg

3106D722-3ABF-4ED1-B7C5-886E5C5DA9C7.jpeg

On 1/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, alvinlwh said:

Usually, you should not need Softer unless you are applying decals over, say a 1/35 tank engine grills.

Hi alvinlwh,

I used the  Mr Mark Setter on the fairing numbers of a Tamiya Honda CB750 racing type motorcycle. The flatter surface side numbers went on OK. The number on the nose of the fairing is made in 2 halves as the nose is a complete double curve. These went on OK but would not conform to the shape of the nose. I have left it for now but would like advice on what strength of tamiya, strong or super strong to use to get it to drape over the nose of the fairing. Any other  advice gratefully received.

Bill W.

4 hours ago, Heliwilly said:

Hi alvinlwh,

I used the  Mr Mark Setter on the fairing numbers of a Tamiya Honda CB750 racing type motorcycle. The flatter surface side numbers went on OK. The number on the nose of the fairing is made in 2 halves as the nose is a complete double curve. These went on OK but would not conform to the shape of the nose. I have left it for now but would like advice on what strength of tamiya, strong or super strong to use to get it to drape over the nose of the fairing. Any other  advice gratefully received.

Bill W.

If that fails, next one to go on is Mr Mark Softener (Green cap). 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/mr-hobby-mr-mark-softer-neo/

"Mr Mark Setter should be applied to the surface where the decal is to be applied to help the decal stick to the surface. Once dry Mr Mark Softer should then be applied to the top of the decal. To help the decal to conform to things like panel line and rivets. Leave the decal for a few hours to comply dry."

The strongest is Microsol (red), an almost" one shot" solution for really complex decals, but that, you said is sold out all around the UK? 

For Tamiya, I believe their Decal Adhesive is weak while Mark Fit is strong. However, they are actually really slow in getting into the game with these liquids and by they time they did, I am already well invested in other brands so cannot advise you much on Tamiya's own brand. 

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

If that fails, next one to go on is Mr Mark Softener (Green cap). 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/mr-hobby-mr-mark-softer-neo/

"Mr Mark Setter should be applied to the surface where the decal is to be applied to help the decal stick to the surface. Once dry Mr Mark Softer should then be applied to the top of the decal. To help the decal to conform to things like panel line and rivets. Leave the decal for a few hours to comply dry."

The strongest is Microsol (red), an almost" one shot" solution for really complex decals, but that, you said is sold out all around the UK? 

For Tamiya, I believe their Decal Adhesive is weak while Mark Fit is strong. However, they are actually really slow in getting into the game with these liquids and by they time they did, I am already well invested in other brands so cannot advise you much on Tamiya's own brand. 

Just ordered Mr Mark Softner. Fingers crossed. Bill W.

6 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

Just ordered Mr Mark Softner. Fingers crossed. Bill W.

Remember, if it is as difficult a surface as you say it is, it may require more than one application. Thing about Tamiya decals is they are often too thick and don't form well to difficult surface. This is well known in the static world.

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Remember, if it is as difficult a surface as you say it is, it may require more than one application. Thing about Tamiya decals is they are often too thick and don't form well to difficult surface. This is well known in the static world.

As you say, the Tamiya decals are fairly thick. I will see how it reacts to one coat and take it from there. Thanks Bill.

I managed to get the Microscale Set and Sol from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh. Arrived in 2 days. Excellent customer Service and the products were very well packed. They both seem to have worked very well indeed, eliminating problems with double curves decals draped very well with the micro-sol.

Bill W.

40 minutes ago, Heliwilly said:

I managed to get the Microscale Set and Sol from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh. Arrived in 2 days. Excellent customer Service and the products were very well packed. They both seem to have worked very well indeed, eliminating problems with double curves decals draped very well with the micro-sol.

Bill W.

Yes, I like Wonderland. For me, they are my "local" model shop, "just" 300+ miles away including a 7 hours ferry ride. Glad that the Sol works, just be sure to let it dry and harden completely before handling. 

• Haha 1

Well, it seems that after about a year on and off the Africa Twin is completed. There are things I would have done different order but overall I am very happy. I am really glad that I did the metal spoked wheels.

Plus another two Hondas.

07873580-545F-4238-9826-1129986A6FBF.jpeg

• Like 3

They all look brilliant. I really must dig mine out and finish it off