Lukas666

Let’s see your Lunchbox

Hi Lukas thanks for that. 

As I’ve built it noticed how many plastic parts make it weak but easily sortable. I bought the bearings pack so all wheel bearings and gearbox have been replaced. Maybe look at gearbox parts being metal too. 

Ive got some new oil filled shocks coming to replace the standard as they are bad but also weak point. I’ve done the 3rd strut mod and stops the slapping. Almost finished it but I keep telling myself it’s for the kids but secretly I want it 🤣

16 minutes ago, Stretch79 said:

Hi Lukas thanks for that. 

As I’ve built it noticed how many plastic parts make it weak but easily sortable. I bought the bearings pack so all wheel bearings and gearbox have been replaced. Maybe look at gearbox parts being metal too. 

Ive got some new oil filled shocks coming to replace the standard as they are bad but also weak point. I’ve done the 3rd strut mod and stops the slapping. Almost finished it but I keep telling myself it’s for the kids but secretly I want it 🤣

I think the gearbox gears are plenty strong... they can handle way more than what I’ll ever throw at it. I think I’ll leave mine the way it is now and see what actually breaks and replace it accordingly. You can throw so much money and mods at these things and by the time your done you’ve spent 3 times what it’s worth haha. 

Haha I agree on the money. Think you’re right, I’ll upgrade as and when something breaks. 

Just ordered motor 🤣

38 minutes ago, Stretch79 said:

Haha I agree on the money. Think you’re right, I’ll upgrade as and when something breaks. 

Just ordered motor 🤣

Very cool RC I love it and would buy and build another in a heartbeat if anything happened to mine.... but I find there’s a fine line between wanting to change certain flaws and mod it but still run it while still wanting to take care and preserve it lol.... after all that’s what it was meant for to drive it. I just ordered a Losi LMT 10 I’ll get my speed and monster truck fix from that and it’ll keep me from pushing this dinosaur so hard and expecting the world from it.

I get that. Been thinking about a buggy myself for land speed stuff. 

I fly helis too as they’re quite complicated but recent weather makes it difficult. 

Thing is it’s a bug, you start tinkering and can’t stop but I will. Suspension failed again today so that’s a bad point of the truck. However it still wheelies and goes mental. Won’t be changing that appeal too much 

My Lunch Box is the Mini version, but is still a Lunch Box! This was a fun little build, more complex than you might expect for such a small car. The leaning steering suspension makes it quite nimble. I was able to set up a decent little track for it in our kitchen.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

• Like 2

The Frankenvan.

I wanted to do a Rollin Thunder replica, but as this was supposed to be for my children I went with their choice of colour and stickers instead. It's a kamtec/Parma shell. In the foreground is one of the steering rods which my youngest son managed to destroy on its first outing. ("Look daddy, it can do a flip if you go over that bump fast enough!")IMG_20210408_101446.thumb.jpg.71de8742c7767d427cfd33223db5d823.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there, first post so be gentle! 

Just getting back into RC after a long absence, after getting a Hornet one Xmas and taking it racing at the local club.

My brother bought me my Lunchbox a couple of years ago. I built it and ran it a couple of times without painting the body. Last weekend I finally painted it, fitted some LEDs for the headlights and installed a set of ball races. Other than that it's standard at the moment, running 3300 nicads which last forever with the stock motor. 

I want to add proper shocks, and will probably do the centre steering servo mod as the steering is awful at the moment, slow and not centring properly. Running on the flat it runs straight, but introduce some bumps and bounce and it starts pulling right. I suspect the bundle Carson servo is not really up to the job, I have a couple of new Futaba ones laying around so I try will one of those. 

I also want to get a 'basher' lexan body and keep the kit one for when it's on the shelf. I also want to get a warmer motor as the stock silver can won't wheelie from a standstill and is a bit gutless. I will stick with the stock ESC for now. 

Tx is a Spektrum DX6 with the throttle set to self centring, but no matter what I do I can't get the headlights to turn on and off from the Aux channel: the always stay on as soon as the car is turned on. I have tried programming the C switch several different ways. 

Colour is Tamiya TS34 Camel Yellow, over Halfords white Acrylic Primer and covered in Halfords Clear Lacquer once the decals were in place. I realised when I was putting them on that it's called the Lunchbox because Vanessa does lunch deliveries in it. As Wayne Campbell (one for the teenagers to look up) might say: "so it's not just a clever name....."

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

• Like 3

Very nicely turned out  . The wheelie bar is upside down though , which might account for the 'non-wheelie' situation . turn it over and see what happens when you run it . A lot of the steering issues are the nature of the van as the camber angle changes constantly as it doesn't have a 'double wisbone' arrangement  - all part of the fun apparently , that and coupled with general slop in the overall steering set-up makes it the driving experience it is . a lot of mods can fix a lot of it if you want to go down that route ?

Think the issue is the receiver i think if you can’t assign a channel to the lights. I have a dx for my helis. Do you have a standard receiver?

Also I have the tuned motor and get plenty of wheelies with that and it’s cheap

Edited by Stretch79

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

Very nicely turned out  . The wheelie bar is upside down though , which might account for the 'non-wheelie' situation . turn it over and see what happens when you run it . A lot of the steering issues are the nature of the van as the camber angle changes constantly as it doesn't have a 'double wisbone' arrangement  - all part of the fun apparently , that and coupled with general slop in the overall steering set-up makes it the driving experience it is . a lot of mods can fix a lot of it if you want to go down that route ?

D'oh! I had the gearbox apart last weekend (without the instructions, obviously...) when I was fitting the ball races and when I screwed the wheelie bar back on I thought "well clearly the open section faces down....." Cheers for that I'll turn it over.

Yeah I know it's bumpsteer city on compression, I may give it a bit more toe in on the RHS (it pulls right on uneven ground). But even at a standstill on the flat if you give it full right lock and release the stick it doesn't centre all the way, which makes me think the servo is a bit weak (it's a Carson one that came as part of the bundle). The trouble is the servo saver doesn't sit on the servo in a central position because of the splines; it's either one to the left or the right. I re-centred the servo and put a load of left trim on it and it is better (like I say on the flat it tracks straight). But yeah, all part of the fun! 

I probably won't spend a load on it, I know Amrpo do a load of suspension upgrades but I'll probably just get the rear axle locater part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stretch79 said:

Think the issue is the receiver i think if you can’t assign a channel to the lights. I have a dx for my helis. Do you have a standard receiver?

Also I have the tuned motor and get plenty of wheelies with that and it’s cheap

TBH I'm not sure what the receiver is - the Spektrum bound to it with no issues. It's brand new. I came into a load of RC plane stuff which is how I got the Tx and the light kit. I assigned aux1 channel to the switch, and in the monitor screen the switch does change outputs, so I'm not sure what the issue is. 

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 6:22 AM, Stretch79 said:

You’ve tried assigning it to another channel like gear?

Try assigning it on flight mode. 

I haven’t yet, I will have another tinker this weekend.. You mean assign a switch to gear on the Tx and then plug the lights into the ‘gear’ channel on the Rex?

i was wearing my face mask that i ordered from Amazon today, its a movie themed design and i had a horrible, funny and crazy idea and it involves the Lunchbox. im considering a mini for the size as it wont take up too much space but with the idea of different stickers to apply and the comparative costs to the 1:12. a mini might cost a bit more than 1:12 with a few hop ups ie bearings, 370 sport tuned motor and that arm to link it to have 4 tire steering (wheelie control) and the needed electronics of the 1:24.

LHS has stock mini going for almost the sale price the sale of the lunchbox on RCmart yellow at $100USD/$122 CAD the 1:12 will take more space but gives more options for sticker size so im now looking at 1:12 despite the size. i ordered a Flysky GT5 TX so binding a few RX wont be a big issue/added cost to a separate single bind TX/RX.

oh and what is that crazy idea for a lunchbox?? here's a hint

EDIT: i choose to go for the 2005 1:12 Lunchbox with ESC. havent yet begun to order other parts for it but i really need to get some multi level storage for the kits now...

the RC bug is really nasty but once i got the idea for the lunchbox, it wont get out of my head...

I have one Lunchbox, and have done 2 different body for it

• One is for my daughter

hZ72hDx.jpg

• and the second one is for my own usage

pSzuXMG.jpg

(for that one, I did not have dark gun metal, so I improvised. And I like it, as the man who likes a plan to come together :-) )

• Like 2

I like the A-Team styled Lunch Box as the A-Team is a part of my childhood. But I think I would prefer the Barbapapa Lunchbox as it looks like so much fun. Great work!

13 hours ago, Aerobert said:

I like the A-Team styled Lunch Box as the A-Team is a part of my childhood. But I think I would prefer the Barbapapa Lunchbox as it looks like so much fun. Great work!

It seems you are not alone to have some leaning toward the Barbapapa's one... It got great feedback everywhere I put this picture on. Many people were actually curious about the way I done it. I use my Silhouette Cameo 4 to cut colored vinyls and weed those directly on the body (you won't be able to get all the details otherwise for both Barabapapa and Lunchbox logo)...

After few weeks, I just finished the hard body. Plan for it is shelf exposition. I prefer the lexan bodies for running.

6V0CVJD.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely loved this build.

Not as detailed as almost all of the other posted on this thread but it’s going to be used!

976281FB-E878-4600-86B1-B6AD73005B3B.jpeg

• Like 3

i finally got my yellow lunch box kit in today, i got some oil shocks ordered for it and will have an interesting looking lunchbox.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Does this count?

b8cMlXD.jpg

J6ho9or.jpg

What it does best,

QQ0MxGw.jpg

LOL  it's on donky tires.  Ie big rims and minimal rubber tread. 

On 4/18/2021 at 6:22 AM, Stretch79 said:

You’ve tried assigning it to another channel like gear?

Try assigning it on flight mode. 

So I tried that last night, checked the Tx in the monitor screen, and it made no difference. The LEDs are illuminated all the time. I even tried plugging them directly into the Rx, same result. I think I am going to need a cheapie switch. The various plugs on the controller board for the lights are all different frequencies of flashing (as I said it's for a plane with red and green marker lights etc) none of them actually  have a switched 'on' or 'off'. I thought setting the Tx switch to either 'gear' or 'on and off' would do the trick but I guess there is always some voltage at the Rx socket and this is enough to light the LEDs (I'm not an electronic engineer!).