Bunty

New member clod advice

Hi everyone, 

I have just joined the forum, and have my first clod buster kit about to arrive this week! 
 I have built a few kits when I was younger, and just recently built a midnight pumpkin which I thoroughly enjoyed building and using ( my son loves it too ). I think I have got the bug again! 

I have ordered a clod kit, bearings, battery, blue and grey tamyia paints, plus tamyia primer. I’ll be using my charger for the pumpkin, and a 6 Chanel radio ( the only reason I went for the 6 Chanel was it had a throttle limit so I can turn it down and my 4 year old can use it with me.)

I have read lots on the forum about mods ( I have the 5th shock mod on the pumpkin, and oil shocks etc) 

Other than bearings on the clod, is there anything you recommend fitting at the beginning?  I’m not building it as a racing machine, just a slow plodder.

it’s the first one I will have painted in ages- does the kit come with any masking stickers, or do you have to mask up bits using tape? 

thanks everyone!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunty said:

Hi everyone, 

I have just joined the forum, and have my first clod buster kit about to arrive this week! 
 I have built a few kits when I was younger, and just recently built a midnight pumpkin which I thoroughly enjoyed building and using ( my son loves it too ). I think I have got the bug again! 

I have ordered a clod kit, bearings, battery, blue and grey tamyia paints, plus tamyia primer. I’ll be using my charger for the pumpkin, and a 6 Chanel radio ( the only reason I went for the 6 Chanel was it had a throttle limit so I can turn it down and my 4 year old can use it with me.)

I have read lots on the forum about mods ( I have the 5th shock mod on the pumpkin, and oil shocks etc) 

Other than bearings on the clod, is there anything you recommend fitting at the beginning?  I’m not building it as a racing machine, just a slow plodder.

it’s the first one I will have painted in ages- does the kit come with any masking stickers, or do you have to mask up bits using tape? 

thanks everyone!

Because the Clod is not Lexan, you won’t need to worry about masking windows since you won’t attach the grill/bumpers/window until after the body is complete. The Clods do come with a graphic decal sheet though. If you are wanting pinstripes or some other painted graphic aside from box art, you’ll have to mask it. It’s all dependent on how detailed you want it and what pieces you want to paint.  You’ll enjoy it, it’s a great build!

I would say at the beginning, just keep it stock and see how you like it. I always eventually bend the steering rods so I eventually get some heavy duty ones to replace them.

Hi, thank you for that advice. That’s what I was hoping , I guess bearings are the only thing that need doing when you build it?

5 hours ago, Bunty said:

Hi, thank you for that advice. That’s what I was hoping , I guess bearings are the only thing that need doing when you build it?

Yep!  If you are going totally stock, get those in during the build!

👍 

I read about anti rotation brackets- and steel pinions. Are either of these needed or just as and when? 

Steel pinions would be great. Didn’t even think of that! Steel anti-rotation brackets are good if you want to avoid having to eventually locate an entire parts tree and have something that will never break. I have 3 Clods and have only broken one anti-rotation bracket ever. But I’m an old man driver now. 

• Like 1

Ok do they just wear out or something? 
do you know a good place to get them from? Or which ones to buy? Thank you!

5 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

Teamcpe.com 

Will have the metal anti rotation brackets and stronger steering rods etc. check am out.

Wow that site has loads of clod parts! I’m based in the uk , I don’t suppose there are any places over here that do those parts? 
would rather do without the whole shipping/customs faff!

29 minutes ago, Bunty said:

Wow that site has loads of clod parts! I’m based in the uk , I don’t suppose there are any places over here that do those parts? 
would rather do without the whole shipping/customs faff!

Actually, do a search on ebay UK: clodbuster anti rotation   (a few popped up when I tried)

That should bring you a couple local options. 

For pinions, the stock units are aluminum and will wear down over time and make a mess in the gearbox.  Not a big deal and they work fine, but if you must upgrade go with Robinson Racing 32P 13T steel pinions, best you can get and will outlast the truck.  If you're planning on running the truck a lot it's a good upgrade, but if jsut an occasional runner the stockers work just fine. 

Hi 87lc2,

That is fantastic info, thank you very much. I will order up a set so it’s just one job future proofed. 

So built the clod a month or so ago and love it! 
 So much fun, and was pretty easy to set it all up nicely.

one thing that I’m not sure about is the standard shocks. They rebound so fast it’s like having pogo sticks for suspension!

Any recommendations of oil filled units that you guys use at all? 
is it worth changing to one shock per wheel? Or keeping two? 

Thanks guys!

@BuntyI suggest 2 Sets (8pcs total) of 110mm oilshocks. (2 per wheel)

There are plenty of dual Springshocks for cheap on Ebay.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/4PCS-Rock-Crawler-Metal-Oil-Suspension-Shocks-Absorber-For-SCX10-D90-TRX-4-90046/233720757892?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item366ad7be84:g:68EAAOSwy45fTeLE&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkai8xCwosGKpC0NWj85e%2FB1wa%2Fz0XWdAPidV%2BnHXsCChLGesuGgMjf%2FbyTxna9eExF%2FBNNkPh5dUKW%2BGjNC8x2yujJDpQbHxOiWK0UMAvFeFQPgms1Cqm4bp4X9mOQHXEtDx94iB3lRlyUKzJE9mqOin1ayQEKOvoCVze%2Fda97YiVpZAn6FmtCrKXmoETKT5NQA9VA26NVlclBlBAALshIPjabmuwGrmKIWzTVHPU%2BqZ8810XdPPk%2FpeOc6NFN8qPNHxJuqCLg2%2Bt5R4UmMozdgo4cF3aWo23oN8S%2FVKInkMlM7Zo%2F1y9pviQi1BJH30JzVckbdHwF3bBhdHCSZqoiDQYyXYbH3HZ%2FFFIssCP1Ua4GuS8cvobyKgQa%2FKGGcUzhNv1mnSINEVm3Z9DLDrpUd7pm8Dnj8%2FHv2%2Fc50B3tYKQCf5tSzJH46uJopgp%2BbPUMEfeGAiLAi3V2RT%2BvMHLMK79K%2BLWUVtoHTFQA59hYpIEhSS4ZNIpJLFFr6sHqLF86KtGhwat%2FeZxpJNebTetgk8TCmoNEHm1aFcmJa8RDLTpU9kR5qh3Wj5tuH9OCZ4z%2F5d%2BhH7LW7jp2gyroSp8EpGhKGwJoUE2LnrSHCGmtSKxjZ8Gy0Uw00nIVjM0x8ki0MGDrT7FXUFv6Mp191N9JsayThsKlo4r8Ql0bss2nG0EhiV49FKur4Z5jtiWhV%2FGwMKng%2Fry%2BN2b4vpklQgkCqzO0lN%2FygeezCsfidNiqTRo8anZWcgfXLxn%2FSkyaisryMdHp%2BMXhmoMohyOclciPQ%3D%3D|cksum%3A2337207578921b5d494309654a5e86cc5e4149aedaca|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Thats an example, there are cheaper ones.

Probably the best are the Traxxas Bigbore Shocks, but you only need 4 of them. (1 per wheel)

A good Upgrade for a Clodbuster is a Axlemounted Servo.

Protipp:

Do NOT check the other Clod threads, that would in result in emty Pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s fab advice thank you!

I will have a hunt for a set👍

I struggled to find an axle mounted servo that’s in the uk last time I looked- can you recommend somewhere that sells them? 

thankyou! 

There is a shop on ebay called UK Monsters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=ukmonsters&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

Advice: befor you buy, tell us what you want to buy.

Some Stuff needs other Stuff to work right.

But the Servomounts (and ballbearings) are one of the "essential" Parts. Oilshocks are "nice to have" but a lot of people love the Pogoness of the Original! Try the Pogos first.

Yes, thats a axlemount for a Servo.

This is only the Mount without the Steeringlinks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UKMonsters-Clodbuster-gearbox-servo-mounting-plate-delrin-servo-posts-only/193932730503?hash=item2d274aa087:g:TAgAAOSweRBfeI-4

You can use the Steeringlinks in you Clodbusterkit. I reinforced the kits Steeringlinks with a carbontube and some shrinkingtube.

Either you buy 2 of these, or you buy 1 and put a steeringlock at the back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Clod-Clodbuster-Carbon-rear-steering-lock-out/193941319977?hash=item2d27cdb129:g:4kIAAOSwkrJdM2Ve

Superb, that’s perfect. 
Can you buy an extension cable for the servo so it can reach all the way to the front ? 

There are extensions, but i have 2 servos installed and the cable reaches with ease.

Build your Clod with Ballbearings and try it, maybe no special Hopups are needed for your taste.

A bonestock Clod is aprechiated by a lot of People.

For my Taste a stock Clod isn`t the type of RC i like to drive. My Clod has 2 Servos, a Servomount designed by @MadInventor in Front and the rear, Ball Bearings, Oilshocks (very soft Setting), a homemade Anti Swaybar and a Chassisplate for a wider Wheelbase because i have 120mm shocks (most People run 100 mm shocks, but i like more suspensiontravel) that are too long, so i had to widen the Wheelbase.

Here is my Clodject:

I´m mostly very happy with the outcome, the only thing is that i just want it to be a little bit faster, but i`m no lipo kind of guy.

@all, sorry about my bad english, the last time i`ve spoken a single word of english was 15 years ago :D

Your English is better than mine! 

I built up the clod a while ago with ball races, and I do love it!

I think the thing for me that is the biggest let down is how bad the 4x4 system seems to be. It struggles with pretty much the same terrain as my 2wd midnight pumpkin! 

The Offroad performene will be better if you use Oilshocks. But you will need to mount the Servos on the axle, because the standard middle mounted Servolinks and their Servosavers limit the Suspensiontravel.

I purchased these leaky golden dual spring shocks from China for around 30 Dollars for 8 shocks.

I must warn you: they are cheap china shocks and not nearly as good as tamiya plastic CVAs. But they look good and are still a huge step up performancewise.

The Traxxas BigBores are way better, but then you only can mount 1 shock per wheel and they do not look as good.

My dreamsuspension would look like this, only with anti sway bars 

Sadly my suspension is not as soft as this...