Bunty

New member clod advice

Wow, that suspension looks absolutely incredible, mine looks rigid compared to that! 

This might not be affecting your Clod but on mine the tyres can spin on the wheels & need something to prevent slip, rubber bands between the tyre & wheel at point of contact of a glue / adhesive

So 

I have the front mounted servo kit, and rear lockout kit .... yet to be installed but can’t wait!  At the same time I think I’m going to remove the bump stops on the original shocks to get some more travel.

My next thought is , getting it to go faster🤔

I have some 2s lipo packs for other cars, what is the easiest way of getting it to go faster.... a fair bit faster new esc and brushless motors but which ones would work well? 

Thanks guys, pretty excited to see what options are available 😊

• Like 1

More voltage is the cheapest bang for buck,, but the Tamiya ESC doesn't have a lipo safety cut off so you're better with a Hobbywing ESC or twin brushless in any speed choice from mild to wild..

Or even a 3s lipo with lipo alarm would be the cheapest bang for buck..

Hi wolf dog, thank you ,

so just try a 3s lipo and see what happens? I already have a lipo alarm.

What motor /esc/ battery setup do you have in there!? 

I think in the park pulling the kids it had the cheapo black brushless ""finned" 540 motor.. *. A smaller rotor, with cooling fins built in to bulk up the size to a normal 540 can.   They were 3000kv, and was running 2s lipo..

I currently have the full size 540 cans , think they are 4300kv.

I use 3 batteries, but I don't have 3x decent 3s batteries, so sometimes I run 2x 3s on the back and 1x 2s on the front.  Just to give the rear a bit more power.. 

3s is a bit too much with these motors,, you're gonna break stuff,, 2s is fine but not quite fast enough for me.  

You hit top speed very quickly on 2s, but ,on 3s, you need a lot more throttle control,

It's like an engine that only ran to 3000rpm now runs to 5000rpm.. 

I like the extra throttle control that  3s gives you..

4 hours ago, Bunty said:

Hi wolf dog, thank you ,

so just try a 3s lipo and see what happens? I already have a lipo alarm.

What motor /esc/ battery setup do you have in there!? 

I have 3 brushless ESC's, 3 brushless motors and a full light kit, and sound kit with 2 speakers. 

More wires than a telephone exchange. Lol

sXfLp11.jpg

Also used this configuration for a while when I broke an axle part, and I quite enjoyed it, it was a lot more stable with the longer wheelbase 

iNDQqWl.jpg

I could wire it up to run off one battery but runtime would be dramatically reduced..

And there's plenty room in this chassis to play with.

Tamiya legend says that one clodbuster tyre weighs the same as an elephant and when you punch the throttle on a Clodbuster, it doesn't travel forward, it actually pushes the world backwards..

It's great sport, chasing foxes in the park at night time..

Since that video, I've also added reverse lights..

2 hours ago, Bunty said:

Wow that’s some  serious stuff!

My standard Clodbuster never got used much, it was fun but not fast enough to impress anyone, and not stable enough to climb anything steep without tipping over,, since upgrading it, it gets a lot more use..

Especially late at night in the park chasing foxes, lol. 

The lighting kit is really bright..

My favourite night time basher .

So
After a while running it, I love the rear lock out, and front mounted steering servo. Had to upgrade the front servo to a metal gear one, and a metal servo horn as after one run they both broke!

I still have not done anything about motors/power etc. Will the stock tamiya esc cope with 3s? 
or is there a brushless esc/motor setup that works with a clod? 

ohhh dear now I have spotted uk monsters chassis kits which look incredible. Anyone have any of them on their clods? 

after looking into it , seems that people use the hobbywing 880 esc with a 3s lipo and leave the silver cans . So I’m going to try that and see what happens- would be nice to have a bit more punch! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunty said:

So
After a while running it, I love the rear lock out, and front mounted steering servo. Had to upgrade the front servo to a metal gear one, and a metal servo horn as after one run they both broke!

I still have not done anything about motors/power etc. Will the stock tamiya esc cope with 3s? 
or is there a brushless esc/motor setup that works with a clod? 

ohhh dear now I have spotted uk monsters chassis kits which look incredible. Anyone have any of them on their clods? 

Any brushless system will work, but you need 2 complete systems with zero timing, or adjust the timing with the program card.. join the 2 ESC's with a "Y" lead so they are both connected to a single channel on the receiver.

It's still going to be slow and heavy and bouncy, but it's a lot more fun when it's faster..