Mfdriver

Hornet front shock absorbers/dampers

I am trying to find some after-market oil filled front shock absorbers/dampers which fit directly to the Hornet upper link, or an adaption to allow oil filled shock absorbers/dampers to fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a quality product?

Maybe you will find answers here?

Ā 

basically the lunchbox has similar dampers, you need the ā€œUā€ brackets to Fit touring car dampers.

Thanks for the lead -in. All seems to rely on bits that were available a long time ago!

Food for thought though

Thereā€™s 3Ā options for oil dampers, 2 that use the stock damperĀ towers. Ā You-G is the better of the 2, but hasnā€™t been in production since the ā€˜80ā€™s. You can still find them occasionally on ebay. Ā Currently, a Chinese company is making something similar, but the dampers leakĀ and fall off in spirited driving.

CRP made a reasonable set in the ā€˜80ā€™s that required cutting off the plastic towers an bolting on an aluminum bracket with integrated shock towers. Ā It was an improvement because the dampers had more travel. Ā The dampers were similar to those found on SRB buggies; often leaky and not very smooth. Ā The spring collars were plastic and didnā€™t age well, but all-in-all was a better kit than the You-G. (I have a spare kit with broken collars that Iā€™d be happy to donate to a loving home.)

The best kit is from Ampro on Shapeways (3d printed). Ā It requires purchasing an A-arm kit, but it makes the frontĀ a double wishbone type suspension and you can use CVA dampers. Look on Youtube for Ampro videos to see that he offers.

Frankly, the most robustĀ Hornet front suspension is the factory set up.

Ā 

• Like 1

Thanks to both respondents. Could fabia advise specifically which Touring car dampers I should be looking at please. And are currently available.

I have contacted Tamico and if we can get over the delivery issue I might have some U-brackets!

I have the AmPro suspension on my Hornet. Love it. Just fine for my backyard bashing

I have XtraSpeed damperson on mine as I wanted similar front and rear. Think I got them from RCMart.Ā 

E934BABD-5282-476A-B68A-7F29398A8A98.jpg

Screenshot_20200426-2122472.png

Ā 

• Like 1

Just watched the AmPro video for the 20 degree offset bottom arms etc. Is it possible to buy all this as a package?

I googled X transpeed dampers and came up with nothing!

This is all new to me so any help would be appreciated

thanks

This is the link to the +20mm arms which allow you to use 60mm dampers. The +10mm allow to use 50mm (I think - check the listings). Can't remember which set I have! You may need some extra hardware too, I think I bought a screw bag mentioned in one of Alberto's videos. This is not aĀ  'one box' solution and a little work is required to get everything fitted properly.

Shapeways link

RCMart don't seem to stock the dampers any more, only 65mm but there are lots of 50mm and 60mm options on RCMart and eBay. You want the slimmest possible to work with the mounts and arms. Mine are a tight fit, work okay bit a pain to fit / adjust.Ā 

Plenty of background reading in this thread

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help all of you. Plenty of reading matter to follow up. Does AmPro have an agent in the UK?

Hi Guys - if you are still with me

I have ordered the AmPro kit from the States and some oil fllled dampers from Germany, and am now looking forward to it all coming together in a few weeks time. In the meantime I have bought some Tamiya front dampers off ebay which will work better than the friction thingies that come with the kit. Each time I get psyched up to have a test down the road it chucks it down with rain. I used to have foam covers for the motor and balloons covering the receiverĀ  and speed controller when I was racing with the Chesham off road club. I then had a Hirobo Alien and a Kyosho Optima. May get back to that before my 80th birthday

More later

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mfdriver said:

May get back to that before my 80th birthday

I think we'd all like to see that! It would be the longest awaited return from racing retirement ever šŸ˜