Sign in to follow this  
Old Falcon Lad ll

Super sabre rebuild query - rear gearbox parts

Afternoon all, 

I'm trying to rebuild an ancient Super Sabre. I stripped it all down years back and have started on the rear gearbox. Previous owner had fitted bearings in the dim and distant. When assembling the box, I could not get the two halves to fit back together - something was too wide. Looking at the image from the manual (snip below) if I put a bearing where E11 was, then the BW2 washer and then a C ring then it would not fit.

For now I just put in a bearing and then gear SA6 which seems to work. Is that wrong - do I not need a thrust washer there too? Is missing the c ring out important? (I saved most of these little blighters - guess they hold the gear box joint cup (SA3) in place?). Any help appreciated. Not even sure what E11 was, I don't have one that's for sure...

Cheers, P. 

IMG_1395.thumb.JPG.13be0bebb8d97167fecf52038464a8a2.JPG

When you replace E11 with an 1150 bearing, you don't fit the BW2, it's not needed. The BR6 C clips are important, as they stop the drive cups working their way out. If in doubt, find a copy of an original hotshot or supershot manual, as they came as standard with roller bearings fitted instead of the plastic bushes fitted to the boomerang / super sabre.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 6:54 PM, MadInventor said:

When you replace E11 with an 1150 bearing, you don't fit the BW2, it's not needed. The BR6 C clips are important, as they stop the drive cups working their way out. If in doubt, find a copy of an original hotshot or supershot manual, as they came as standard with roller bearings fitted instead of the plastic bushes fitted to the boomerang / super sabre.

Thanks MadInventor, that sorted it nicely thanks. Got the C clips back on OK and for my hotshot project took advice on here and when I lost one manufactured another from a section on biro spring. If only all the fixes were that easy...

The Super Sabre needs new tyres next. Assume that's about £30 for supergrippers? And can anyone point me in the right direction for a how to / where to source a white pen for the tyre lettering please? 

Cheers

Just had a quick look at Ebay, and yes, £30 seems about right. I'd try and get new re-re tires rather than original vintage ones, my experience of buying a set of vintage pin spikes was that they cracked and split to the point of having to throw them away within 12 months of putting them on wheels. Can't help with the letter pen sorry.

That's great thanks, agree on old tyres as did that on my bear hawk - cracked after a year or so. That opens up a whole new question about storing the tyres when your cars are in plastic crates in the shed. I've read its best to take them off the car and use a glycerin coating in a bag - that the preferred method? And I guess that avoids flat spots too? Don't want to waste money on these things!