87lc2

Cutting out panels in lexan/polycarb

Wondering if anyone has  any easy tricks for cutting out panels in lexan/polycarb bodies.  Not talking about cutting/trimming the body or reaming post holes, talking about cutting sections out (windows, truck beds, etc).  I currently use a variety of methods (Xacto blade, Dremel cutting bits, etc), but it's one of my least favorite things to do and wondering if there's a tool I don't know about that makes this easier.  

I would make a daisy-chain of holes close to the edge around the panel to be cut out with a reamer, and then use a file for the rest. Slow, but guarantees no mistakes.

• Thanks 1

I cut small holes in the corners, and then "connect the dots" with an X-Acto knife. 

Sometimes, I cut away the center part first if it is a larger panel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

I cut small holes in the corners, and then "connect the dots" with an X-Acto knife. 

Sometimes, I cut away the center part first if it is a larger panel.

Yes, I have tried this method and it does work well.  Only gives me trouble on thicker bodies where it's hard to cut through the lexan.  A lot of my truck bodies are really thick and a real pain to cut.  On thin bodies this works great.

I was thinking there was a tool out there that I was unaware of that would make this really simple, but looks like it just takes some time and patience.  

I do the score and break method. Seems to work so far.

Clean up edges with a nail file or Dremel.