Nirrot

Another noob needing help

4 hours ago, Matty36 said:

The only thing I can suggest is to unplug everything, and just plug in the speed controller in ch2, leave the servo unplugged. Turn on the transmitter, then plug the battery in, then hold the bind button then switch on the speed controller. If it doesnt then light up the receiver then it might be damaged due to being plugged in the wrong way before.

I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks very much. 👍

16 hours ago, Matty36 said:

The only thing I can suggest is to unplug everything, and just plug in the speed controller in ch2, leave the servo unplugged. Turn on the transmitter, then plug the battery in, then hold the bind button then switch on the speed controller. If it doesnt then light up the receiver then it might be damaged due to being plugged in the wrong way before.

So, I've tried the procedure you suggested Matty36 and unfortunately still nothing. Just a flashing green light on the esc and no light of any description on the receiver. To tear my hair out even more a new receiver arrived this morning (I'm a very inpatient person by nature) and have tried the same procedure with the new receiver too. My next question, because that didn't work is how do I unbind the receiver that did once work? Have to admit the instructions that come with the etronix kit a shocking for someone who has never done it before! There is no mention if any unbinding procedure, would that potentially help with a new receiver?

If I'm getting no light on either receiver it would seem reasonable to assume that the receiver isn't the problem, right? So I guess I need to work my way back through through circuit? But if there is a green flashing light on the esc then there must be power to it? So is it likely that somehow there is a problem between the esc and receiver? Call me stupid but I'm guessing the receiver can only get power from the throttle cable? Otherwise it is not connected to anything. I'm so confused, thanks for persisting with me.

16135592692622273598907552181776.jpg

16135593243297128584971751974568.jpg

If you want to eliminate the ESC from the equation, find a separate power source for the receiver. Did it come with an AA battery box? If it does, you can just plug it in with the correct orientation and try a bind according to the instructions (seems to be just a case of pushing/holding the button while the transmitter is on and nearby).

If power to the receiver via the ESC is the concern, then just make sure the ESC is fully wired up (i.e. plugged in to motor as well) and also make sure the battery has a good charge in it. If the battery is flat, it may not be enough to power the receiver properly (would need to be really flat for that to happen though).

I'd be really surprised if two receivers had the same fault.

25 minutes ago, sosidge said:

If you want to eliminate the ESC from the equation, find a separate power source for the receiver. Did it come with an AA battery box? If it does, you can just plug it in with the correct orientation and try a bind according to the instructions (seems to be just a case of pushing/holding the button while the transmitter is on and nearby).

If power to the receiver via the ESC is the concern, then just make sure the ESC is fully wired up (i.e. plugged in to motor as well) and also make sure the battery has a good charge in it. If the battery is flat, it may not be enough to power the receiver properly (would need to be really flat for that to happen though).

Thanks Sosidge, I feel the same about the receivers, it would be very unlucky. I don't I have a separate power source, other than the battery. Didn't know it was possible to buy one, certainly didn't get anything like that with the bundle. I have now emailed both Etronix/CML and the approved agent from the Tamiya website to see if they have anything to offer? I cannot find any answer to the flashing green light issue, doesn't even appear in the ESC troubleshooting guide. As I said I think I read somewhere somebody saying it was because there was no information coming from the receiver. But if I can't get power to the receiver there won't be any information coming back. Will look to see if I can find a battery box to test the receivers. Thanks for the advice.

Screenshot_20210217-151943_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Nirrot
Something like this?

11 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Normally something more like this:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/4-x-aa-battery-holder-rx-pack.html

These used to come bundled with everything but I suppose times have changed. An electric car doesn't need a separate receiver pack (unless it runs on a low voltage battery) so I wouldn't spend too much on your experiment.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

2 hours ago, sosidge said:

Have had a reply from the Tamiya agent who agrees that eliminating the receiver would be the first job, then most likely a blown BEC in the ESC. Will wait for battery pack to arrive and test the receiver....

Thanks to all for the help so far. 😁

On 2/15/2021 at 10:38 PM, Nirrot said:

I have checked the battery has power

Is it charged with full power ? not enough in the pack could affect things

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Is it charged with full power ? not enough in the pack could affect things

Thanks @KEV THE REV, yeah have made sure the battery is fully charged before every 'messing session'. Thanks for your thoughts. I WILL defeat this **** glitch. 🙏

Ok, so external battery pack arrived and receiver connected (see photo). It only flashes on for a millisecond but it must mean that power is getting to the receiver, right? Is it reasonable to assume then that with a functioning ESC/(BEC) (assuming that is the problem) that the light would come on and stay on, like it did when I first bound the transmitter (as in the third wire in the cluster does that? Can you tell I'm not electrically minded?!)

20210219_102543_064_saved.jpg

Well, in that picture you've got the battery box plugged in to the wrong terminal on the receiver (should be red middle and black outer, you have the black on the signal path, so I'm not sure what the light means).

Basically with the battery box powering the receiver, you should be able to bind. Transmitter needs to be on as well, obviously. You could also plug a servo in, and the servo should work from the receiver battery power.

Then to compare, remove the receiver battery pack and plug in the ESC instead. Power up the ESC. Even if the ESC is not set up properly for throttle, it should still power the servo.

If the first scenario works then your receiver is OK. If the second scenario doesn't, then the ESC is not supplying the power it should to the receiver.

9 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Well, in that picture you've got the battery box plugged in to the wrong terminal on the receiver (should be red middle and black outer, you have the black on the signal path, so I'm not sure what the light means).

Basically with the battery box powering the receiver, you should be able to bind. Transmitter needs to be on as well, obviously. You could also plug a servo in, and the servo should work from the receiver battery power.

Then to compare, remove the receiver battery pack and plug in the ESC instead. Power up the ESC. Even if the ESC is not set up properly for throttle, it should still power the servo.

If the first scenario works then your receiver is OK. If the second scenario doesn't, then the ESC is not supplying the power it should to the receiver.

😬, thanks. As I said, I'm not electrically minded so that may make a big difference! I'll give that a go now, thanks so much. 👍

Perfect, servo worked with power to the right connections! Bind was no problem but no power to the servo with the ESC as power source.

Will send the ESC back to the agent and try again.

Thanks all for leading through this, much appreciated.

My son has big plans for the paint job, will let you see the finished project when we're done.

Good to hear.

Maybe a bit late now but if you find yourself inclined to buy a new ESC after your frustrations with the TBLE-02S, the Hobbywing 1060 is less than £20 and is far superior. 

• Like 1

Thanks @sosidge, I'll definitely bear that in mind. Mind be worth having one around anyway. I'll see what happens with the replacement I get sent and if i have any issues with that one too I'll give the Hobbywing a go. 👍

• Like 1

New ESC has arrived and everything working perfectly. Thanks all for the help.

Just got to get the paint job right now! 😬

• Like 3