Re-Bugged

Super Mini CVA’s vs Yeah Racing Shock Gear 50mm

Looking for anyone’s experience with either of above mentioned Dampers for an M Chassis (mainly M-05). 

I dare say this has been covered before, just can’t seem to find it now.

I’m looking to upgrade the stock  friction shocks. The Super Minis are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, and with the Yeah Racing ones more readily available and the fact you get various springs included in the box they seem like a good deal in comparison for general leisurely car park running.

I’m probably just overthinking it again for a few dollars, but very interested in any input nonetheless. 

Cheers. 

I use both - Super Mini CVAs on my M-04 and M-05, Shock Gear ones on my M-07 and M-08. Both work great, but the Yeah Racing ones look nicer and are easier to adjust, whereas the CVAs seal better and have pre-threaded lower eyelets that are easier to attach. 

To get the best of both worlds, I build my Yeah Racing shocks with Tamiya diaphragms and and O-rings, and fit Tamiya lower eyelets. I also use Tamiya springs, as even the softest ones supplied with the Yeah Racing shocks are too hard for M-chassis use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Yeah shocks are getting pretty close to TRF quality. The springs and o-rings aren't even close, though, and the plastics aren't quite as good, but, with an o-ring and spring change, I can't tell the difference between the two in performance, they're cheap, and always available. Totally worth it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I use both - Super Mini CVAs on my M-04 and M-05, Shock Gear ones on my M-07 and M-08. Both work great, but the Yeah Racing ones look nicer and are easier to adjust, whereas the CVAs seal better and have pre-threaded lower eyelets that are easier to attach. 

To get the best of both worlds, I build my Yeah Racing shocks with Tamiya diaphragms and and O-rings, and fit Tamiya lower eyelets. I also use Tamiya springs, as even the softest ones supplied with the Yeah Racing shocks are too hard for M-chassis use. 

This is exactly my experience of the shock gear shocks. They're good once you have some tamiya rubber and plastic bits in them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

with the Yeah Racing ones more readily available and the fact you get various springs included in the box they seem like a good deal in comparison for general leisurely car park running.

I've found the springs to be much too stiff to be of any use whatsoever, which is a shame because YR shocks are otherwise not bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some great info Thank you, so it looks as though TC Rule #1 applies, Get Both 😉.

Super Minis come in packs of 2, except ones listed for TT01/2 chassis’s that are sold in a set of 4, so if in most cases you end up buying more springs anyway I wonder if they are worth getting. Mainly as most places I’ve checked only have one pack of 50746. 

I have purchased 54753 Super Mini's for my MF01X and M05ra, they come as a set of 4 in one pack they seem to be the same as the two pack and cost a bit less.

• Thanks 1

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully be along soon but the only difference between the two Super Mini sets is that the four pack has specific on-road springs - text from the Modelsport listing - 

This shock set includes parts from Item 50746 CVA Super Mini Shock Set and Item 53440 On-Road Tuned Hard Spring Set. It allows a total overhaul of the TT-02 suspension in one clean and economical swoop. This set is ideal for beginners or first-time upgraders!

• Contains parts to make 4 CVA Super Mini oil shock dampers.
  • Includes Yellow (medium) springs, for improved stability and to help the car hold uneven surfaces.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

the only difference between the two Super Mini sets is that the four pack has specific on-road springs 

This shock set includes parts from Item 50746 CVA Super Mini Shock Set and Item 53440 On-Road Tuned Hard Spring Set.

That was my thinking, and the general consensus seems to be that you will probably end up replacing the the supplied springs in any set you go for anyway 👍🏻

On 2/17/2021 at 4:14 AM, TurnipJF said:

I second everything he said.

springs in general too hard, they could be used for touring cars or nitro cars. I use their springs on my FF03.

I had the Yeah Racing ones and they are good hut tend to leak while the mini cva dont

I would go for the tamiya super minis.

• Thanks 1