Yonzariq

What to build...

So, I recently sold one of my fast bashers to make room for, and fund a new build.
Could not get into it, bashing is not my cup of tea, so now I want to buy something new, which I can take with me anywhere, beach, forest, walks in the park, etc.

Already got a Super Clod Buster and DT-03 for bombing around.
Also got some crawlers and scalers (TRX4 & CrossRC) for those slow scale walks/trails but most of those take at least an hour drive from home to fully use their capabilities.
And they are not as fun on the more flat and less technical parts of the walks, as I live in the Netherlands that is about 99% of the parks around here :ph34r:

Would love to build a nice touring car or that new TC-01, but haven't got much space nearby to drive those sadly, so those are no option.

So now I am looking for something inbetween what I have, some speed for the flats, while still being able to do some technical stuff, and have been looking at the following models:

1 G6-01TR Dynahead
2 GF-01TR Monster Beetle Trail
3 MF-01X Mercedes Benz G320 (might be a bit too small?)

So far I am mainly pointed towards the Dynahead, especially due to the possibilty of adding 4WS.
But that would need some new wheels and tyres, the ones on it look way out of place on that truck.

But the Monster Beetle also looks like fun.

I'm not sure that either of the TR models will have any speed on the flats.  My G6-01 has a reasonable turn of speed over gravel, grass and patio with an older brushless system, but it has standard pogo shocks, chevron tyres and unlocked diffs, so I wouldn't expect it would be any good on technical stuff without some modification.  The G6-01TR has portals, which will reduce the top speed somewhat.  I don't know how they hold up to high-speed running but it's not really what they're designed for.  With good tyres and locked diffs I expect it will be good over technical stuff, but if you want a bit of speed, a better compromise might be the non-TR version with good-sized crawler tyres fitted and a torquey brushless install that can handle a bit of flat level speed and a bit of climbing too.

• Like 1

An MF01X has been mentioned, so surely that makes it socially accetable to suggest an XV01 variant? :P

A Rally car could provide the speed on the flats and some of the 'techincal stuff' (I'm not sure what that is really).

If you need a bit more ride height, the good old (and sometimes easier to find) XV01T can take some bigger wheels

In the below picture: XV0T > XV01 Rally > XV01 Touring Car

9287C6E1-C5DD-43D0-8823-1E5116322CA1.jpg

This way you're not buying another Monster Truck, Crawler or buggy?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

I'm not sure that either of the TR models will have any speed on the flats.  My G6-01 has a reasonable turn of speed over gravel, grass and patio with an older brushless system, but it has standard pogo shocks, chevron tyres and unlocked diffs, so I wouldn't expect it would be any good on technical stuff without some modification.  The G6-01TR has portals, which will reduce the top speed somewhat.  I don't know how they hold up to high-speed running but it's not really what they're designed for.  With good tyres and locked diffs I expect it will be good over technical stuff, but if you want a bit of speed, a better compromise might be the non-TR version with good-sized crawler tyres fitted and a torquey brushless install that can handle a bit of flat level speed and a bit of climbing too.

Not looking for crazy high speeds, that's not for me, but something faster than a crawler with 35t/45t motor while still being able crawl up some rocks, mud and sand

48 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

An MF01X has been mentioned, so surely that makes it socially accetable to suggest an XV01 variant? :P

A Rally car could provide the speed on the flats and some of the 'techincal stuff' (I'm not sure what that is really).

If you need a bit more ride height, the good old (and sometimes easier to find) XV01T can take some bigger wheels

In the below picture: XV0T > XV01 Rally > XV01 Touring Car

9287C6E1-C5DD-43D0-8823-1E5116322CA1.jpg

This way you're not buying another Monster Truck, Crawler or buggy?

Not sure on the MF-01X, added it because it looks fun hahaha

It looks like a small trail vehicle with the Mercedes or Suzuki body, but most reviews state it isn't really that capable offroad, so that would rule it out.

Had an XV-01, really a great vehicle, but it is a bit too low for what I want with it.
I know the XV-01T, but specifically didn't mention it as I don't like the looks of it that much.

The CC-01 also looks like something I could go to, as it can handle some speed while still being able to do some light crawling, but it seems those need quite a bit of work to get driving right...

The cc01 is great for light trail duties and can give a fair turn of speed with the right motor. Fitting a hot racing steering kit is highly recommended and the rear axle can be shimmed mostly with spare bushes from the kit, assuming you fit bearings. I think you need some 4mm washers to shim out the last half mm of play.

Otherwise they are fairly capable. Better tyres will be a massive improvement for climbing and and you will want to lock at least the rear diff. If you have problems with it hanging up on roots and stones then I can personally vouch for the junfac centre skid plate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yonzariq said:

Not looking for crazy high speeds, that's not for me, but something faster than a crawler with 35t/45t motor while still being able crawl up some rocks, mud and sand

Not sure on the MF-01X, added it because it looks fun hahaha

It looks like a small trail vehicle with the Mercedes or Suzuki body, but most reviews state it isn't really that capable offroad, so that would rule it out.

Had an XV-01, really a great vehicle, but it is a bit too low for what I want with it.
I know the XV-01T, but specifically didn't mention it as I don't like the looks of it that much.

The CC-01 also looks like something I could go to, as it can handle some speed while still being able to do some light crawling, but it seems those need quite a bit of work to get driving right...

I have the Jimny on the MF-01X and had the Merc on the same chassis. Hard dirt  or tarmac with not many lumps and bumps is my verdict on where they will work unfortunately. The CC-01 isn`t actually too bad and is more than capable on grass, dirt and medium lumpy bits i`ve found. My latest ones have only the standard silvercans in but I had a Pajero in a previous life that had the sport tuned in it and was ok. Should really put the torque tuned from the MF-01x into the CC-01 Hilux but I`m too bone idle to strip them both down

Thanks so far guys.

Thanks to facebook I am meeting with someone from my region at one of my local spots next weekend who has a CC-01, G6-01TR and CC-02 :)

Will see how that ends up

• Like 2

So I had a go with a few vehicles this weekend, started off with the CC-01 and CC-02.
Took my TRX4 with me for a bit of comparison

The CC-02 looks good but is way to "crawler" for what I want, it did everything great and it was about the same in speed as my TRX4 so both felt a bit slow on the open spaces.
Also didn't feel like it would able to handle more speed, if I wanted another (smaller) crawler the CC-02 would definitely be added to the list of possibilities.
CC-01 was quite a bit faster than both and was really at home on the light trails.
The rougher terrain with tree roots and rocks was quite hard with the CC-01, got stuck a few times and it flipped pretty fast, so a fun vehicle but also not really what I am looking for.

Next up was the G6-01TR, he said he had a Dynahead, so I assumed it was a G6-01TR, but it actually started its life as a King Yellow, now with Dynahead body and 1.9 crawler wheels and 114mm tyres, and he had the stock wheels and tyres to try.
But of course it didn't have the portals the G6-01TR has.
With the 1.9 wheels and tyres it did most about the same as the CC-01/02, but on the rocks and trees it didn't flip as easy as the CC-01 so it could follow the TRX4 on a lot but far from everything while still being able to handle some speed.

Compared to the CC-01/02 it felt a lot heavier which is of course also an advantage on rough terrain.
And the slightly larger tyres vs the CC-01/02 (114mm vs 96mm) gave it another advantage so it got stuck less, but I don't think much larger than 96mm suits the CC-01/02.
Steering sometimes was a bit slow with a large turning radius but that is to expect from a vehicle that size and one of the reasons I would add a switchable 4ws.
I hardly came above 60-70% of throttle with the 4620kv motor that was installed, even on the large open spaces, but I have other cars for more than that amount of speed :lol:
I have that exact same motor in my DT-03, great motor and the DT-03 flies with it, I think a bit too much for the G6-01 chassis, but to each his own of course

Quite a bit faster than my TRX4, while still being pretty capable, of course the TRX4 crawled better, but the G6-01 got to every place I wanted it to, sometimes took a few tries but in the end it got there.
I could even jump it a bit, something my TRX4 wasn't capable of.

He also had a brand new Axial Capra with him, another great vehicle I never looked into and it did everything fantastic.
Speed, crawling, trailing, no matter what, it could do it without issues.
Pretty steep rocks it climbed like a mountain goat while even my TRX4 had a pretty hard time with some of them, and that is already pretty dialed for the trails.
But as always, this comes with a cost and the Capra really is way above my price range.
The kit is already more than twice the price of a Konghead kit at my LHS (€410 vs €195), and then I still need to add all of the (strong) electronics and tyres.
He had around €900 in it, or about twice the amount of money I want to spend on a complete new car :ph34r:
And still hasn't got everything the way he wants.
Already got 2 running money pits, Super Clod Buster and TRX4, so no need for a third one :lol:

MF-01X or XV-01T will be too low for everything as even the CC-01 had some issues.

I think the Dynahead would indeed be a bit slow with the added reduction of the portals, read on multiple places they reduce the speed with around 50%.

So I think the G6-01 Konghead or King Yellow will be in my near future (or a Capra if I win the lottery) as I had the most fun with it and it was even more capable than I expected.
Add bearings, 1.9 wheels/tyres and a sensored brushless setup with around 3000-3500kv for more than enough speed for me.
And it will "only" cost me around the same as the Capra kit without electronics etc :mellow:

Aside from the body, what is the difference between the King Yellow and the Konghead that explains the €45 price difference? King Yellow is €150, and Konghead is €195.