Jonathon Gillham

Sand Scorcher availability

So maybe its the wine and I'm feeling brave, but looking at ordering a SRB for my birthday. This is for the build so happy for it to be set aside for the right time, and also I don't mind if its well past my birthday in July. UK shops like Fusion and Modelsport have it showing as available in may(ish) but no other sites show that.

Is the Sand Scorcher due another run soon?

Tower has it in stock but I don't think they ship down here, but have sent them a message to check.

I should add that I want a SRB but really for the build and the fact they are a Tamiya classic, not for sentimental reasons as they are well before my time. I like the rough rider looks best but over the last few years have come to see the Sand Scorcher as THE one to get. 

RCMart and RCJaz have the Fighting Buggy available so should I just get that instead? Its not the Sand Scorcher but is essentially the same build and would do for me, but its not the Samd Scorcher or Rough Rider.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Only just seen this thread, a bit late to answer as you’ve now ordered one but I believe there is another run of SS coming. A few Aussie shops have been showing ‘coming soon’ etc for them for a while. I’ve put in some notify me’s but haven’t heard anything yet.

What pre fill your cart wine do you recommend? As I’ve had a Fighting Buggy sitting in the cart to long?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Only just seen this thread, a bit late to answer as you’ve now ordered one but I believe there is another run of SS coming. A few Aussie shops have been showing ‘coming soon’ etc for them for a while. I’ve put in some notify me’s but haven’t heard anything yet.

What pre fill your cart wine do you recommend? As I’ve had a Fighting Buggy sitting in the cart to long?

So Tamico refunded me overnight, back to square one.

The wine was one my wife found, good discount and I think its a flash version of a cleanskin but it was pretty good. 2 bottles last night good (shared between us...honest! You know thats true otherwise I wouldn't be typing this at 7am...)

• Haha 1

There's a nice Rough Rider on TM at the moment.

I don't know about RcMart or RcJaz, but I ordered some parts from a Hong Kong hobbyshop and they only do surface shipping now - 2 months plus transit time.

• Like 2

That’s a shame for the refund @Jonathon Gillham 😬. Dang it, so close.

Small consolation, but I got the same for some M Chassis springs from Wah Wah’s, ordered yesterday, refunded today 🙄. It’s not the first time from them either.

The Cleanskins are really good for the money. Mrs RB even cooks with them if there’s any left.

We also have a taste for ‘Tokay’ dessert wine at the moment 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Crashalot said:

There's a nice Rough Rider on TM at the moment.

I don't know about RcMart or RcJaz, but I ordered some parts from a Hong Kong hobbyshop and they only do surface shipping now - 2 months plus transit time.

I almost bought that one a month or so ago but decided not to as I want to build it. Was very close though, it looks nicely built (assuming its the same one...)

RCJaz shipping is a killer, about $170! RCMart is better but still a lot.

15 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

That’s a shame for the refund @Jonathon Gillham 😬. Dang it, so close.

Small consolation, but I got the same for some M Chassis springs from Wah Wah’s, ordered yesterday, refunded today 🙄. It’s not the first time from them either.

The Cleanskins are really good for the money. Mrs RB even cooks with them if there’s any left.

We also have a taste for ‘Tokay’ dessert wine at the moment 👍🏻

I found emails from them in my junk folder. They cancelled it because they need to investigate shipping to NZ and expect a surcharge on the shipping and that it will take a few months. I'll pass as the exchange rate was worse on Paypal than i expected anyway (i expected $570ish and it was $609, that seems a lot).

Hopefully they'll make an appearance in local shops soon enough.

I don't understand, whats leftover wine?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I don't understand, whats leftover wine?

It’s when you get to the point of putting the bottle down somewhere on the way to get some more nibbles, and subsequently forget when you left it. Only to discover it again the next day and ends up in the Spag Bol. 

• Haha 1

@Jonathon Gillham, My LHS has one out back, do you want me to ask if he'd sell it?

Edit:

I lie, he has two, ones on layby for a customer and ones his own... do you want me to ask?

4 minutes ago, berman said:

@Jonathon Gillham, My LHS has one out back, do you want me to ask if he'd sell it?

Edit:

I lie, he has two, ones on layby for a customer and ones his own... do you want me to ask?

Is it new in box or built as a display? Don't make a special trip but if you remember next time you're there, thanks for the offer.  I'm not in a hurry as it will be put away until July, and it sounds like more are due in a few months anyway. The price will be interesting of the new ones as last time here they were $489 but the prices seem to be going up all the time

It's NIB. $549 if you want it. The other guys one has a $589 sticker on it 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I almost bought that one a month or so ago but decided not to as I want to build it. Was very close though, it looks nicely built (assuming its the same one...)

This one is new.

I just received mine today that I bought from Tower that was on sale earlier this week. Just under $300, $6 bucks shipping.. 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:22 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Which Aussie shops are listing them? My wife decided she wants one because they're 'cute'. Luckily her birthday is in July, so I have some time.

3 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

Which Aussie shops are listing them? My wife decided she wants one because they're 'cute'. Luckily her birthday is in July, so I have some time.

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Tamiya-110-Sand-Scorcher-2WD-Electric-Off-Road-RC-Buggy-Kit-58452?gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3ktqtuOvuY2RUJKksC0ngSyGzsaPS4cr4Y_YQsGSXGKTIKRhAHjAJSxoCQ9sQAvD_BwE

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/tamiya-1-10-sand-scorcher-2wd-off-road-racer-kit-5

These two spring to mind, I dare say Hobbytech in Perth & Metro Hobbies would get some in if/when they become available (unlikely before Easter?). At least they are in the free shipping bracket 👍🏻

On 2/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, berman said:

It's NIB. $549 if you want it. The other guys one has a $589 sticker on it 🤷‍♂️

Found it! 

Sorry everyone, this is for some PMs, you've probably worked out that Sand Scorchers are still hard to find!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you going to get a ball diff?  I remember seeing one few weeks ago. It made an impression because those things are not available everyday.  If you are running on loose surfaces, you'd wouldn't want a diff, though.  (Come to think of it, I care awfully a lot about ball diffs, ball bearings and lubricants! Oh no. I hope that's not a sign that I'm about to join the other team. I hope not. Not that there is anything wrong with it--then again, those 3 make things very efficient).  

• Like 1

If you plan to run it then replace the flexy fiberglass chassis with an aluminum one. Your body will thank you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Juggular said:

Are you going to get a ball diff?  I remember seeing one few weeks ago. It made an impression because those things are not available everyday.  If you are running on loose surfaces, you'd wouldn't want a diff, though.  (Come to think of it, I care awfully a lot about ball diffs, ball bearings and lubricants! Oh no. I hope that's not a sign that I'm about to join the other team. I hope not. Not that there is anything wrong with it--then again, those 3 make things very efficient).  

RCMart have the ball diff in stock, so I am thinking about it. I will probably get one but if it hasn't arrived it won't stop me building it. In some ways I'd like to try both to compare.

13 hours ago, Shodog said:

If you plan to run it then replace the flexy fiberglass chassis with an aluminum one. Your body will thank you. 

This one is pretty much for the shelf. My rereleases don't get run often and that includes the capable ones. This one will most likely be run once or twice a year and gently.

• Like 1