Collin

Where to buy new motor brushes

Hi.
I am restoring two nice Corally black sereies motors and I need new brushes and springs. The one I got are to big and does not fit well.

What I need is 3.8mm x 4.8mm ones. Can anyone tell me a source for universal brushes of this size?

• Like 1

Jep, tried it this way but very quick i took too much material off. Is it usual way to grind them down wiht the file?

It's possible. I'd lay the file flat and rub the brush up and down it so that you get a square edge. Might take a bit of practice, but possible if you can't buy the correct brushes I guess. Just go slow and take you time.

Okay, now we have a nice workaround. But still the question, what is a good source for coles and springs, even if I need to file them down?

I was hoping there are some new one which fit. This NOS is always a bit difficult.

There are quite a few companies in the UK that produce motor brushes, and I’m sure the 540 motor type is very common. They might be able to source you a set if you give them the dimensions?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 5:02 PM, Matty36 said:

I had a few sets but sold them last year. Are they standup or laydown brushes you need.

Personally I need a set of stand up brushes and springs for a Trinity Speedworks monster mash 16t single I bought for my blackfoot build...

8 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Personally I need a set of stand up brushes and springs for a Trinity Speedworks monster mash 16t single I bought for my blackfoot build...

These are standup in the picture 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/smd-long-life-motor-brushes-for-smd-power-tuned-motor-w-eyelet/rc-car-products/428010

There are quite a few springs for sale on ebay, different ones for modified or stock.

• Thanks 1

I found LRP and Carson which are good quality and soft enought, bot still available at shops. Got me some NOS Orion and Parma at the local hobby shop too. I am very good equiped now : ) Thanks guys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collin said:

I found LRP and Carson which are good quality and soft enought, bot still available at shops. Got me some NOS Orion and Parma at the local hobby shop too. I am very good equiped now : ) Thanks guys

Where did you find LRP? I have a few old LRP motors I want to restore. Original parts would be great

Okay, I visited a local hobby shop today, it was like time travelling.

I got some Parma brushes.

#3581 Power molded brush
#3582 RPM molded brush

Now I have no idear which are hard and soft. But they say more torque or more rpm. Anyone have a clue?

33 minutes ago, Collin said:

Okay, I visited a local hobby shop today, it was like time travelling.

I got some Parma brushes.

#3581 Power molded brush
#3582 RPM molded brush

Now I have no idear which are hard and soft. But they say more torque or more rpm. Anyone have a clue?

Just a guess but I'd say the RPM/speed brushes would be harder than the torque/power brushes. I believe a softer brush gives more punch on the low end but also more friction, possibly limiting top speed/peak RPM. Assuming all the dimensions of the brushes etc. are the same otherwise.

• Like 1

Mhm... sounds logical. Do anyone know some papers or website about brushed RC motor basics? Such as combinations of springs, brushed etc...

Edit:
Short research, this Youtube Chanel https://www.youtube.com/user/HolmesHobbies does have very nice descriptions about basics around brushed motors, even if it is mainly about crawlers. The guy is really good in front of the camera, no anoying jokes or unprecise descriptions.

Next I found is this, I am going through now, seems pretty much about everything. https://www.hobbytalk.com/threads/rc-motor-black-book.126994/

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

So great! They have even raw commutators, I was so much looking for them to restore some old stators. Now its really the question how easy they are to handle, hopefully not like Japanese auction houses.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, Collin said:

Mhm... sounds logical. Do anyone know some papers or website about brushed RC motor basics? Such as combinations of springs, brushed etc...

The March '93 RC Car Action has some possibly relevant info...

motor_brush_tech_rcca_march1993_01.jpg

motor_brush_tech_rcca_march1993_02.jpg

motor_brush_tech_rcca_march1993_03.jpg

• Thanks 1

Excellent, this is the summary I was looking for. This 90s RC magazines are pure gold.

6 hours ago, Collin said:

90s RC magazines are pure gold.

Indeed, they have been a source of essential information as I've restarted my RC journey... I'm glad I've kept them all these years!

For me too. Lot of nice how-to and tips&tricks. Great you have them on paper. A lot of 90s magazines are available as PDF but its just half the fun reading them on the screen.

So cool, found some replacement comms on aliexpress for 3-pole commutators. The look perfect! A drop of 2K-glue, resolder the wires and thats it. Now this blast the limitation on old racing motors away : )

comm.jpg

• Like 1