B.RAD

Do you keep the box?

37 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I'll sometimes look through the boxes stashed in the house and realize I've bought parts a few times over when it was right there all along...

That's my excuse too ;)

I keep them because when selling on at some point in the future they will be worth more ;)

not that I’m ever selling haha

JJ

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I like the boxart but not the space that the boxes take up, so I copied @Re-Bugged 

20200711_141020 20200711_135909 20200711_141044

They look great on the walls, wasn't cheap though but worth it

They look fantastic mate I'm well impressed! (And jealous) are they the actual boxes or prints?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, moffman said:

They look fantastic mate I'm well impressed! (And jealous) are they the actual boxes or prints?

Yep they are the boxes. I emailed a framing place a picture of Rebugged's Rough Rider he posted here and then took the boxes in.

I have 2 up in my office and so far no one has asked if thats a picture of toy car on my wall despite a year of zoom meetings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yep they are the boxes. I emailed a framing place a picture of Rebugged's Rough Rider he posted here and then took the boxes in.

I have 2 up in my office and so far no one has asked if thats a picture of toy car on my wall despite a year of zoom meetings.

Tamiya boxes are a work of art and framing them just demonstrates that! If I didn't know anything about tamiya I wouldn't think they were toy cars they look to good👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Tamiya boxes are a work of art and framing them just demonstrates that! If I didn't know anything about tamiya I wouldn't think they were toy cars they look to good👍

Definitely the original style ones, for sure.

I keep all boxes. I think it stems from my childhood, as always kept my Matchbox cars boxes. Most of the cars were kept mint as well, but sadly in one of my mums cleaning frenzies she binned all the boxes 🙄. My Monster Beetle houses spare sprues. All the others, bar one, is in the loft.

My favourite  is framed, (sorry to bore those that have seen it many times already!!)...

D2714483-CCD3-48D2-9421-5C0E5569FEBE.jpg

I just love the section through artwork on the sides of the box as well.

Hoping to add a Fighting Buggy done the same way.  A Scorcher would be great to but wall space would be a bit of a problem.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

My favourite  is framed, (sorry to bore those that have seen it many times already!!)...

D2714483-CCD3-48D2-9421-5C0E5569FEBE.jpg

I just love the section through artwork on the sides of the box as well.

I don't think anyone would get tired of that being posted, its the original afterall!

• Thanks 1

Yes, every single one, but they do get flat-packed and stored under the house. I had to be realistic: with almost 30 cars (currently) and 10 boats you just cannot store that many boxes!

• Like 1

i cant toss the boxes at all, i got 20 Gundam kit boxes that have the modesl built and none of them are flattened as i keep the spare parts from those kits in corresponding boxes and some connection PCs/joints are common size/form but named differently. i got to find space for 4 more Gundam kit/boxes unbuilt and my TT02D is currently serving as an over filled RC stock box. the Slash box will need to get flattened. i dont know where i will store the TD box when that finally makes its way to my hands so i might need to consider flat packing some boxes soon... i will need to clear some space and make use of plastic bins for RC parts storage very soon.

• Like 1

A few people in this thread seem to flat pack the boxes - what's the technique for doing so?

15 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

I've kept the ones with cool box art, the Vajra and TXT2 boxes I burned with a vengeance. Might have to look into framing some of them after seeing how amazing that turned out for @Re-Bugged & @Jonathon Gillham

Yeah I wonder why tamiya did that sort of  box art?(well photos actually) I haven't seen one I liked! Maybe it could be just I'm wanting to see the painted box art just as much as the model itself because the kyosho rc's are photos as is schumacher and I like the boxes they come in.......strange one?

• Like 1

I know! The Tomahawk and Optima boxes looks absolutely stunning! And the Top Cat and Masami XLS are no slouches either, but it seems Tamiya does a pin the tail on the donkey with the most uninspiring photo they could muster and are happy with that. It's a shame really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Yeah I wonder why tamiya did that sort of  box art?(well photos actually) I haven't seen one I liked! Maybe it could be just I'm wanting to see the painted box art just as much as the model itself because the kyosho rc's are photos as is schumacher and I like the boxes they come in.......strange one?

Case in point, the Vajra box art. With the Avante/Egress parts this was supposed to be something special, and it was -but more in the special needs kind of spectrum of the word. 

And then there's the Optima re-re, which proves that photoes on the box can be mouth watering if done right. Photo stolen from @Wandy's froth fest of a showroom. 

vajra.jpg

optima.jpg

• Like 4

I have bought limited edition kits just for the box. :P .....stuff like the Avante Black Special & Black Lunchbox come to mind straight away. Storage is definitely a headache though as stacking them on top of each other and leaving them like that for months/years inevitably results is some bowing of the box lids.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I have bought limited edition kits just for the box. :P .....stuff like the Avante Black Special & Black Lunchbox come to mind straight away. Storage is definitely a headache though as stacking them on top of each other and leaving them like that for months/years inevitably results is some bowing of the box lids.

I've got to admit I've bought a kit because of the box (terra scorcher) but your definitely right about the avante black special and I admit I'm biased when it comes to anything avante and I won't have anything bad said against the best rc buggy ever made but that box is just superb!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Case in point, the Vajra box art. With the Avante/Egress parts this was supposed to be something special, and it was -but more in the special needs kind of spectrum of the word. 

And then there's the Optima re-re, which proves that photoes on the box can be mouth watering if done right. Photo stolen from @Wandy's froth fest of a showroom. 

vajra.jpg

optima.jpg

Can you imagine if tamiya had spent the time doing a white box painting of the vajra? I think it would have sold far more and it would have looked brilliant!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I know what you've mean, I've been eyeing the Mardave Cobra Evo thingy, even though I've got no knowledge about Mardave -I just think the Cobra Sport box  looks splendid. And it's something alluring about a kit cobbled together in England. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moffman said:

Can you imagine if tamiya had spent the time doing a white box painting of the vajra? I think it would have sold far more and it would have looked brilliant!

Not only that, imagine if they'd also chosen a body that was just a fraction less nauseating -combined with proper 80's boxart that could've had potential. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Not only that, imagine if they'd also chosen a body that was just a fraction less nauseating -combined with proper 80's boxart that could've had potential. 

I mean it is an odd truck overall? Mixing quite a few parts that don't really work together like the cva's with arms that don't let the shocks do what they are capable of and wheels that make the chassis flex quite a bit more than it should but for me it's what make me look at it with fondness! A bit like the lancia rally 037 on the orv chassis........absolutely doesn't work but so does work (sorry for my oddness😊)

• Like 2

For sure, the parts themselves are great, there are probably others better equipped to judge this but if you see the pedigree of the kit it's sort of packed with Tamiya lore. But combined, eh it's more for show than go. Still, I bought one to try to turn it into a sort of King Cab and if I ever come across a fair priced kit again I'm sure it'll be hard to resist. So I think you sum it up quite nicely, @moffman

• Like 1