Then I got held up for a bit waiting for a shipment of upper link parts to avoid having to use the kit-supplied step screws.  So I built some of the 54670 dampers...

50953512102_ea68a275e0_b.jpg

And inserted some foams...

50953408806_6085d37a3e_b.jpg

Awesome, I love these, if they were cheaper I'd get one for my daughter as she loves her yellow Tonka dump truck and crane (and she loves putting stones in the back of my KBF-bodied G6-01 :lol: )

I didn't realise the bodies were pre-painted - normally I'd complain about that but in this case I'd be OK with it, I can't imagine an alternate colour scheme for one of these :p 

What parts have you used for the upper links?  I've been considering swapping mine.

Do you think the foams will make a difference?  The standard tyres are quite hard, they don't sag under the weight of a KBF body.

I have been eyeing this kit for a while.  This is not helping!  Portals from the Dynahead would be cool...

21 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I may have to put some foams in my g6-01(King Yellow) one day. Are you planning to set up 4ws or 2?

I was so torn about that decision, but ultimately decided on selectable 4ws as I've done on my Clod.  Although I haven't driven it yet, the front turning angle actually looks quite good and 4ws may not be necessary.

14 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Awesome, I love these, if they were cheaper I'd get one for my daughter as she loves her yellow Tonka dump truck and crane (and she loves putting stones in the back of my KBF-bodied G6-01 :lol: )

I didn't realise the bodies were pre-painted - normally I'd complain about that but in this case I'd be OK with it, I can't imagine an alternate colour scheme for one of these :p 

What parts have you used for the upper links?  I've been considering swapping mine.

Do you think the foams will make a difference?  The standard tyres are quite hard, they don't sag under the weight of a KBF body.

Nice! I have a 3.5 year old boy and I'm pretty sure it's going to be impossible to keep this one away from him.

I agree on the prepainted body in this case.  Nice to have.  The stickers on the cab will still keep me busy for a while I'm afraid.

Upper links were inspired by @toyolien again.  I'll post more details soon, but basically enlarged the holes in the chassis and used a flanged tube + machine screw + ball nut, and simple home made links.

Honestly, I have no idea on the foams.  I agree that the tires are quite stiff, so it's likely unnecessary.  Habit maybe?

10 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

I have been eyeing this kit for a while.  This is not helping!  Portals from the Dynahead would be cool...

Haha.  Portals would be interesting.  It would be wise of Tamiya to sell those separately at a reasonable price.  

• Like 1

Progress!

One set of Stainless Steel Shaft w/ Aluminum Support Bridge For GF01 WR02 (54695) and one set of Stainless Steel Suspension Shaft Set For TL-01 (53301) was enough to replace all of the screw shafts...

50972708903_f05c4265c4_b.jpg

50973503777_a969ba7f88_b.jpg

For the upper suspension link mounts, I followed @toyolien's lead once again and drilled out the chassis holes to 4mm, inserted a 4x6mm flanged tube (50593), 3mm machine screw, sometimes a 4mm shim (53586), and a ball nut (53599).  Links were made with some 3mm rod and medium length 5mm reinforced ball end adjusters (54868).  I like these rod ends because they didn't need to be trimmed when making such short links.

50972711643_b84e480895_b.jpg

50973401656_e30062601f_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks loads for sharing all the part numbers - I was planning on doing exactly the same with mine (my screw pins have rusted and will seize the arms if not changed soon) and having the part numbers makes it so much easier :)

• Like 1

To tighten up the steering, I used the aluminum steering arm (54588), aluminum servo stays (54587), and a trusty Kimbrough #124 servo saver.

50972718378_d961088806_b.jpg

Out back, I agree with @toyolien's assessment that the servo should be mounted lower and the drag link longer.  After some fiddling, it ended up looking like this in the end...

50972719858_823989df5e_b.jpg

50973410001_9a0bd24f43_b.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toyolien said:

Wow. That looks great in yellow. Can't wait to see it running!

Thank you!  Yes, certainly the most colorful chassis I have ever built.  I really enjoyed building something pretty different than anything I've ever built before.  And from driving impressions of others, the G601 sounds like a fun runner too.

There was a small handful of yellow tipper parts that got painted TS-4 German Grey.  Front bumper, electronics, and dump bed are in.  Decided to go with a HW 1080 for the better BEC spec over the 1060 for powering two servos.

50980176326_e62ae8120b_b.jpg

50980177281_f66276c037_b.jpg

On this model, I like how I can keep the cab on and only remove two body clips to tip the dump bed to access the battery.  Very quick and convenient.

50980179291_95e305282b_b.jpg

• Like 10

I gotta quit coming back to this...  I am going to end with one real soon here I think.

Very nicely done!  I like it!

Nice build @schlabinski! I'm getting ready to build my own but the trail version; Dynahead. I'm just wondering what do you plan on doing with the extra pair of dampers you got? I'm assuming you bought two pairs of the 54670 damper? If you're not keen on keeping it, might you consider parting with it and sell it to me so I would only need to buy 1set for my own build? 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, kwkenuf said:

I gotta quit coming back to this...  I am going to end with one real soon here I think.

Very nicely done!  I like it!

Thank you very much!

On 2/26/2021 at 4:21 PM, burakol said:

Nice build @schlabinski! I'm getting ready to build my own but the trail version; Dynahead. I'm just wondering what do you plan on doing with the extra pair of dampers you got? I'm assuming you bought two pairs of the 54670 damper? If you're not keen on keeping it, might you consider parting with it and sell it to me so I would only need to buy 1set for my own build? 

Thank you, and great idea about sharing that second set of dampers.  My only hesitation is that I'm liking the G601 so much that I already picked up a King Yellow kit and will likely use them.  Sorry mate!

Stickers!  Overall, I'd say these went on very well.  By far the most challenging were the grey ones at the outer lip of the wheel wells with compound curves.  If the body wasn't pre-painted, I would've opted to paint those.

50980289177_f48652f669_b.jpg

50980180966_739ef67247_b.jpg

50980291317_6344ffb675_b.jpg

Does anyone else see a resemblance to a cartoon animal in the head-on picture?  Rhinoceros maybe?

50980292052_a9d263d840_b.jpg

Thanks for following along.  I hope to get some outside pictures soon.

All other pictures here:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUkRMFH

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, schlabinski said:

Thank you very much!

Thank you, and great idea about sharing that second set of dampers.  My only hesitation is that I'm liking the G601 so much that I already picked up a King Yellow kit and will likely use them.  Sorry mate!

No worries! This hobby is addictive... better watch out... hehe... did you get your king Yellow from Tower? They had it on sale over the weekend I think... 

Anyhow, your build looks great! Any plans of putting a servo on the dump bed? 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, burakol said:

No worries! This hobby is addictive... better watch out... hehe... did you get your king Yellow from Tower? They had it on sale over the weekend I think... 

Anyhow, your build looks great! Any plans of putting a servo on the dump bed? 

Oh yes, the addition already has a firm grip and has for years.  I did get that one through Tower, hard to resist.  Now I'm resisting a Dynahead, so hopefully you don't post too many pictures of your build or else I'll be in trouble!

It would be neat to try to find some linear actuators to replace those grey cylinders, but I haven't looked into that much yet.

21 minutes ago, schlabinski said:

Oh yes, the addition already has a firm grip and has for years.  I did get that one through Tower, hard to resist.  Now I'm resisting a Dynahead, so hopefully you don't post too many pictures of your build or else I'll be in trouble!

It would be neat to try to find some linear actuators to replace those grey cylinders, but I haven't looked into that much yet.

My A60H will be arriving today... **** it. <_<

Hung out here too long, like I said! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kwkenuf said:

My A60H will be arriving today... **** it. <_<

Hung out here too long, like I said! :rolleyes:

Awesome!!  

2 hours ago, schlabinski said:

I've been watching some YouTube videos lately on some very capable Dynahead crawlers... Hopefully my build won't disappoint... This time, I will take it nice and slow... Tower would also discount the kit from time to time so watch out for it... 

Great build. I'm amazed that the chassis is just a huge transmission full of gears. How am I going to sneak one of these into the house without my wife seeing? :D

On 3/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, RichieRich said:

Great build. I'm amazed that the chassis is just a huge transmission full of gears. How am I going to sneak one of these into the house without my wife seeing? :D

Thank you.  I agree, it is amazing that the entire chassis is full of gears.  The G601 has a healthy dose of that Tamiya quirkiness that I adore.  And so far I am really enjoying driving it...very fun.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:13 AM, RichieRich said:

Do you have children?  It's big and yellow, just like a kid's toy dump truck.  You did buy it for the kids, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1