TVG27

Thundershot Upgrading

11 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Silver Can < Sport-Tuned < UGT-Tuned < Super Stock

I would pair the Super Stock with a 13 teeth steel pinion and then look how it performs. It should be really fast. Again: watch temperatures.

My experience with the Boomerang (UGT-Tuned motor, 19400 U/min) vs. Top Force Evo (SuperStock BZ motor) is that both motors are very strong and fast, with the upper hand having the Super Stock (it is 23t). 

The fastest motor of the Super Stock series is the RZ with its 27500 U/min. I am just not sure if it is suited for a 4wd buggy. Tamiya only mentions the BZ (26500 U/min) and TZ (22500 U/min) for offroad. Tamiya says Super Stock and UGT-Tuned all have the same torque (49mNm).

I never used a Sport Tuned (18500 U/min) in an 4wd offroad buggy. It is „ok“-fast in my FF-01. So I don‘t think it would impress you in a Thunder Shot chassis.

Any thoughts on a Dirt Tuned in a TShot or TScorcher???

Terry

Also never used this one. It has a little less revs than a Sport Tuned. The Dirt Tuned (27t, 17000 revs and 39 torque) has a little more torque, though. Still fast and fun looking at the stats. Could look a little slow on larger tracks. You decide ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

Also never used this one. It has a little less revs than a Sport Tuned. The Dirt Tuned (27t, 17000 revs and 39 torque) has a little more torque, though. Still fast and fun looking at the stats. Could look a little slow on larger tracks. You decide ;)

one of our LHS has one and it looks juicy...

I mostly run in the backyard, so no real long straights.  If I do have long straights, it on grass at our local ball-field, so the extra torque will probably be more useful that the extra speed.  

I'll probably pick up the Dirt Tuned next time I'm near there.  I  just can't help myself...

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:50 AM, wtcc5 said:

Silver Can < Sport-Tuned < UGT-Tuned < Super Stock

I would pair the Super Stock with a 13 teeth steel pinion and then look how it performs. It should be really fast. Again: watch temperatures.

My experience with the Boomerang (UGT-Tuned motor, 19400 U/min) vs. Top Force Evo (SuperStock BZ motor) is that both motors are very strong and fast, with the upper hand having the Super Stock (it is 23t). 

The fastest motor of the Super Stock series is the RZ with its 27500 U/min. I am just not sure if it is suited for a 4wd buggy. Tamiya only mentions the BZ (26500 U/min) and TZ (22500 U/min) for offroad. Tamiya says Super Stock and UGT-Tuned all have the same torque (49mNm).

I never used a Sport Tuned (18500 U/min) in an 4wd offroad buggy. It is „ok“-fast in my FF-01. So I don‘t think it would impress you in a Thunder Shot chassis.

Thanks for all the replies.

So, I am leaning towards the bz motor. With the price being closer to 50, would you consider going to a brushless combo that goes for 100?

Just a thought. Seeing how you have done this before and the switching to brushless had to have come up in your upgrade history. Thanks, Tony

58 minutes ago, TVG27 said:

So, I am leaning towards the bz motor. With the price being closer to 50, would you consider going to a brushless combo that goes for 100?

Just a thought. Seeing how you have done this before and the switching to brushless had to have come up in your upgrade history. Thanks, Tony

Here is a list I made over the last few days (prices from RCMart):

Silver Can 540J - 27T - 14.5k RPM - 255 Torque - $14
Torque Tuned - 25T - 16.0k RPM - 305 Torque - $14
Sport Tuned - 23T - 18.3k RPM - 350 Torque  (some will say 27T) - $20
Dirt Tuned - 27T - 17.0k RPM - 380 Torque - $27
UGT Tuned - 24T - 19.4k RPM - 500 Torque - $24
Super Stock BZ - 23T - 26.5k RPM - 500 Torque - $38

TBLM-02S 10T - 24.3 RPM - xxxx Torque (brushless) - $70

I'm leaning toward a UGT at the moment (for my Super Mega Fire Dragon).  But a LHS has a Dirt Tuned on the shelf so I wouldn't have to wait for delivery...

Terry

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Here is a list I made over the last few days (prices from RCMart):

Silver Can 540J - 27T - 14.5k RPM - 255 Torque - $14
Torque Tuned - 25T - 16.0k RPM - 305 Torque - $14
Sport Tuned - 23T - 18.3k RPM - 350 Torque  (some will say 27T) - $20
Dirt Tuned - 27T - 17.0k RPM - 380 Torque - $27
UGT Tuned - 24T - 19.4k RPM - 500 Torque - $24
Super Stock BZ - 23T - 26.5k RPM - 500 Torque - $38

TBLM-02S 10T - 24.3 RPM - xxxx Torque (brushless) - $70

I'm leaning toward a UGT at the moment (for my Super Mega Fire Dragon).  But a LHS has a Dirt Tuned on the shelf so I wouldn't have to wait for delivery...

Terry

Rc Mart has a bunch of brushless combo for like 90. Thoughts on that?

I think they were hobbywing

17 minutes ago, TVG27 said:

I own a TrackStar combo.  And run a Tamiya TBLE-02 > TBLM-02 combo.  They are great.  But pricey. 

IMO, you can't beat $24 for a UGT that will run with the free TBLE-02.

YMMV...

Terry

23 minutes ago, TVG27 said:

17.5 or 13.5 brushless would be fine. up to you if you want to spend that much on a old vintage tshot chassis though.

1 minute ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

17.5 or 13.5 brushless would be fine. up to you if you want to spend that much on a old vintage tshot chassis though.

Yeah, I'm debating whether to "splurge" for a $24 UGT, or to just take the Tamiya 10T Brushless out of the Jumper...  The Jumper sits on the shelf most of the time, so I don't need a BL motor in it...

Terry

3 hours ago, TVG27 said:

For these Reres, I prefer to use the given esc and join it with a brushed motor. UGT or BZ are my choice for these chassis.

If you go for a brushless combo then I would prefer sensored motors up to 13.5t - 10.5t.

I have no experience with the cheaper combos -_-

I have run a bunch of different things in the Thunder Dragon so here's a couple of things i have found: 

1) If running lipo, the tble02s won't run anything more than a 17.5/2700 brushless without thermal shutdoen all the time. I have run tbles02s with 3300/13.5 with no issues in 2wd, i just think the extra drivetrain drag and weight makes it work too hard in the Thundershot chassis. That said, the chassis gearing is very tall and well suited to brushless. The 17t dt03 steel pinion gives great gearing for a 17.5 or 13.5. I run a 13.5 with a hobbywing 10bl120 esc and it's great. 

2) Running brushed that tall gearing works against you. Running on grass i had to design a new motor mount for a 12t pinion to get a 19t motor to run at a good temp, and @graemevw is running an 11t on the sane mount for vintage 17t doubles. If you are running on less draggy surface and more than 20t motors then the stock mount with a smaller pinion should be fine. 

• Like 1