Boston Billy

Vintage Bruiser battery question

I recently picked up a original Bruiser after wanting one since I was a kid. I need to buy a battery & charger for it but am having problems finding one. I'm just getting back into the hobby and it's been years since I've read anything RC car related so any help would be appreciated. 

PS - I didn't even intend to get back into he hobby but came across the Bruiser re release. Went to buy it, the 180.00 shipping killed it for me, ended up buying a original (used) Bruiser with radio on E bay. Reading all the stories of other adults who also loved the Bruiser as a kid was really cool and brought back alot of memories. I wanted one for so long and honestly never thought I would get one. I love the restoration stories . Thanks for reading didn't mean to go on a rant.

ok! first question:

What does the power plug look like? if it's a regular Tamiya plug, run up to Hobby Etc in Manchester. they have some NiMH in stock: 

https://www.hobbyetc.com/shopby/category2006.cgi?catagory_id=269&firstcat=Batteries;browser=s62XMbNThLoGSNrvtAj49g

and also some Lipo: 

https://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=91470;browser=s62XMbNThLoGSNrvtAj49g

10 minutes ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

ok! first question:

What does the power plug look like? if it's a regular Tamiya plug, run up to Hobby Etc in Manchester. they have some NiMH in stock: 

https://www.hobbyetc.com/shopby/category2006.cgi?catagory_id=269&firstcat=Batteries;browser=s62XMbNThLoGSNrvtAj49g

and also some Lipo: 

https://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=91470;browser=s62XMbNThLoGSNrvtAj49g

It looks like the regular Tamiya plug. I remember you used to be able to get a bigger battery for the Bruiser that had longer run times than the 6 cell 7.2 volt batteries. That's what I was trying to find. Do you know if they still sell those? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. 

Yes. But I guess I'm just looking for the battery that will give me the longest run time. I always thought that was the purpose of that battery.

Not dumb questions at all, it can be tough getting back into this hobby and a bit overwhleming when it comes to options.  If you are just looking to run your Bruiser, then a 7.2v NiMh battery with the highest mah rating is what you want.  5000mah batteries are common (and cheap) these days, and they typically come with the Tamiya connector that you need (if you want to be sure just post up some pictures of the truck and we can tell you).  

Here's a 2-pack of 5000mah 7.2v NiMh batteries for $35 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Replacement-Connector-Airplane-Helicopter/dp/B08P35DRNP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rc+nimh+battery+5000mah&qid=1613786607&sr=8-5

You'll also need a charger.  If just looking to run the Bruiser then any NiCd/MiMh quick charger will do, there are tons of them out there.  If you think you'll be getting more vehicles and want to step up to Lipo batteries at some point then invest in a charger that will charge everything now, no need to spend the money twice.

Hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, Boston Billy said:

This helps. Thanks. What are Lipo batteries?

Lipo (Lithium Polymer) batteries are the best you can get for RC.  Great power and consistent power delivery, but they do take more attention to care for than NiMh batteries.  If you are just looking to run the Bruiser and not get more RCs then NiMh will be just fine.  If you are looking to expand in the future I would look into Lipo.  Plenty of info out there if you want to look into them. 

Here are what modern Lipos look like - https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Batteries-Dean-Style-Connector-Vehicles/dp/B076Z778MJ/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=2s+lipo+rc&qid=1613788908&sr=8-8

I went to all Lipo years ago and will never look back, they are superior in every way.   A charger will be more expensive and you will need to properly store the Lipos as they are a bit more volatile than older NiMh style batteries (I store mine in an ammo can).  

Doesn’t the vintage Bruiser have an old 3 step MSC ?

If so, I’d be wary of putting anything other than 7.2v through it at the efficiency it was designed for ?

8.4v and a LiPo at full tilt risks otherwise risks melting things

There are plenty of shorty NiCd 7.2v packs with decent Mah run time that will fit 👍

• Like 1

As above get the highest mah 7.2v NiMH you can fit , on the Bruiser the heavier the battery the better ! Within reason of course but the weight helps the rather stiff suspension to work and look more scale when driving .

The older battery you speak of is the 5 cell 4000 mah pack.  They don’t make them anymore and these weren’t all that great to begin with.  With a stock MSC a good 7.2 volt nimh battery is what you need. 

Not sure what your budget is but to make a good runner you would be better off going 2.4ghz radio to ensure reliability and a good brushed esc with reverse. 

On 2/21/2021 at 10:36 AM, Shodog said:

The older battery you speak of is the 5 cell 4000 mah pack.  They don’t make them anymore and these weren’t all that great to begin with.  With a stock MSC a good 7.2 volt nimh battery is what you need. 

Not sure what your budget is but to make a good runner you would be better off going 2.4ghz radio to ensure reliability and a good brushed esc with reverse. 

I want to thank everyone for their help. I bought the Bruiser on E bay. It came with a 4 channel radio (A cheap one) but I need a speed controller. Do you have any suggestions for that and a motor?

Congratulations - it’s a good day when hard work + research pays off isn’t it ?

Enjoy - it’s a lovely model 👍

Original 750 motors and MSCs crop up fairly regularly on eBay - with the just the obvious caveats around age / use

I’ll defer to younger / keener members for modern alts - not my thing with a vintage chassis 😂

Depends if you want to keep it mostly original (750 motor & MSC as @SuperChamp82 said) or if you want to modernize it a bit.  If you want to go more modern & user friendly, can't go wrong with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC and any decent 550 sized motor.  

4 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Congratulations - it’s a good day when hard work + research pays off isn’t it ?

Enjoy - it’s a lovely model 👍

Original 750 motors and MSCs crop up fairly regularly on eBay - with the just the obvious caveats around age / use

I’ll defer to younger / keener members for modern alts - not my thing with a vintage chassis 😂

I never knew how many people also lusted after the Bruiser as a kid. But everyone's story is the same as mine. I was going to buy a re release for 580.00 until I saw the shipping was 150.-180. Then I was going to buy a clone, but I knew I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had a original. I might have overpaid but I'm satisfied with it.

1 minute ago, Boston Billy said:

I never knew how many people also lusted after the Bruiser as a kid. But everyone's story is the same as mine. I was going to buy a re release for 580.00 until I saw the shipping was 150.-180. Then I was going to buy a clone, but I knew I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had a original. I might have overpaid but I'm satisfied with it.

Those speed controllers you mentioned cost alot less than I thought it would. I don't really care about if the motor and speed control aren't original. I just want to drive it then maybe restore. Is there alot of after market parts since it's older?

On 3/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, 87lc2 said:

Depends if you want to keep it mostly original (750 motor & MSC as @SuperChamp82 said) or if you want to modernize it a bit.  If you want to go more modern & user friendly, can't go wrong with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC and any decent 550 sized motor.  

Would this be ok ? Hobbywing QuicRun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC (2-3S).

7 minutes ago, Boston Billy said:

Would this be ok ? Hobbywing QuicRun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC (2-3S).

That's exactly what I run in mine (and most of my other crawlers as well), it's excellent. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:55 PM, 87lc2 said:

That's exactly what I run in mine (and most of my other crawlers as well), it's excellent. 

My Bruiser came with the a radio installed. It's a RadioLink RC4GS v2. I've never heard of this radio before. How do I make sure that the ESC has the same type of connectors as the receiver? 

Receiver/ESC connections are universally standard in RC so you shouldn't have a problem there, it will plug right in.

When I looked the radio up, since I never heard of it, it was only 65.00 and came from China. I was afraid it might not be compatible. As long as it works I really don't care. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order one.