Sign in to follow this  
Finnsllc

Poly Body Cleaner Is AMAZING

Just thought I would throw this out there in case anybody could use the info. I painted a shell tonight, Hated the outcome. Then stripped 2/3 of the shell using the tamiya Cleaner. Its absolutely amazing. For $10 it should be in everyones box of stuff.  I took 3 layers of blue and a backing coat off Using paper towel squares i ripped up  and only used A 16th of the bottle. Down to clear lexan. Highly recommend

IMG_20210220_014541.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah fresh paint moves easiest with it, bit harder on old stuff, but still effective 

• Like 1

The results differ massively.

Fresh lexan paint and TS paint of any age will solve easily with paint killer. Old lexan paint and old car paint are very difficult to remove and need a lot of soaking time with a risk to ruin the body.

Still paintkiller is very helpful and I wondered myself why I never had one for many years.

If you want to save money and not buy the highly overpriced branded ones, search for Methoxypropanol. It’s the same, but costs a lot less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree,Ive alsi been trying to tell others@Finnsllc , in some other posts.

Yes there are many things out there that can take away paint and i tried a lot off them (also on 1/24 models), and again i must write that the only thing that leave the Lexan like new when job done is Poly Body cleaner. Other Allcohole based cleaners like Paint, nail will fog the lexan or worse crack it while others will make lexan oily so you must clean it with pure Alcohol, pure Alcohol is not very effective on removing TS-PS paint alone.

Sure its more expensive than buying other 1litre Alcohol based cleaners on a gass station, but in my experiense P. B.C is by far the best product for this job and its not like you are using a fortune on it either way.,,

I have heard this is great stuff for touch up cleaning OR stripping but the latter is a bit more work.

Only thing is finding the stuff! I think here in the UK you are lucky to find it. Probably to do with health and safety.Was the same with Tamiya extra thin poly cement,could not buy it in the UK,then it appeared,years after the rest of the world!

Like ours I've found it to be brilliant at stripping the paint but only if it's been recently done. 

I use desolvit if it's older painted shell, problem with that it can make the shell  brittle. 

I can't say anything about cleaning fresh painted shells but it seems it is not so good for older ones. I have recently try it on a Mondeo body and in comparison with Revell Color Mix it removes the paint very well but it seems to damage the shell. 

Here you can see a area cleaned with Revell Color Mix (takes a lot of effort):

IMG20210220140135_compress16.thumb.jpg.a813790f82cdbc5e05f8e2464e2401e0.jpg

This one shows the result of Tamiya PBC (the Lexan seems to get brittle and cloudy)

IMG20210220140109_compress84.thumb.jpg.113a41d6fb4292313f129f6c67aa7741.jpg

And the smell of it is very intensive.

Hmm thats exaclty what Body Cleaner does not do but so much else i tested does (as i wrote in previous post).

Heck i even use it to clean the outside off my lexan bodies when very dirty, all that happens is that they look like new.

so im thinking you might had other Chemicals on there from before and got a bad reaction, because that looks like a Nail polish reaction!

The only thing that was before there was silver paint. Maybe it's because of the age of the shell. I don't know. Hopefully I can finde a way to rescue this body.

May I ask where you bought it?  I'm in the USA as well and it's been on my mental list to source for a while, but haven't figured out where best to get it.

The blue on my 3yr old neo scorcher came off easy 

the metallic black on my 2yr old falcon wouldn’t come off for sht

hit and miss long term but it’s great on cleaning up over spray etc and taking off new paint easy

JJ