chrisandsally

Hot Shot Assembly Help

Hi Folks

I bought a reck of a Hot Shot and ended up replacing practically everything bar the suspension coil assembly. New Chassis, Gears, Housings, wings etc. Even got a new set of Wheels & Tyres. Although they are not put on yet.

However I have two issues that I hope you can help with.

1) Front Right drive has no slack like the others and cause the whole right assembly to wobble. When turning the wheels it definitely has a tight spot. Lifting the suspension does help but still there. See VIDEO 1 for example of this, running at low speed.

2) If you press the body down it does not spring back to the top. Is this normal and and recommendations to improve? This is shown in VIDEO 2

Thank you!

In Video 1, it appears that the dogbone is too tight in the outdrive and axle cups. Are you using the correct red upright on that side? My kit came with two kinds, and it would do that if I fitted the wrong one. You might also check that the inner bearing is fully seated, there aren't any O-rings where there shouldn't be, and that the dogbone itself is the correct length.

Video 2 is entirely normal. You can increase the spring preload if it bothers you.

Dear TurnipJF. Thank you for you reply. The Upright is one of the few components I did not get, so this may be it. I have checked the inner bearing and that is seated flush and no "O" rings. Drive shaft is same length of left hand side and new genuine. 

Thanks for confirming Video 2.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I definitely think that's the wrong upright in video 1 it doesn't look like my one on my hotshot? And video 2 looks normal to me that's what you want it to do because if it comes all the way quickly it will want to bounce if anything change the oil to a slightly thicker one in the front shock to make it do the same as the back?

When it’s going it works itself back up. So I wouldn’t worry on the shocks but yeah get that wobble sorted. That doesn’t seem right. I love hot shots. I used to have one and I wish I still did. 

Hi Folks, Thank you for your help here. I pretty much replaced everything bar these, so the previous owner installed these ones. I looked against the manual and yes indeed the wrong ones.  I can't believe you spotted this on the video that does not show the whole view and I had to compress the video to make it upload to the forum.

You are amazing. Thank you.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisandsally said:

Everywhere is out of stock of Tamiya TA01 Touring Car Front Upright 50648

Any suggestions or wait it out?

These should do the trick. DF 01 parts are the same too 👍