lentner3

Perishing tyres on the shelf

So I have an integrated garage but it can get cold and maybe even slightly damp at times. But I have many shelters and some have new but perished tyres. A few are brittle and upon handling they rip others appear completely fine. In fact my runners seem to be in better condition. 🤔 anyone else have similar problems and or solutions. Short of removing the wheels and boxing them up. I don’t like the idea of them all cracking as I do plan on running some of them.  The worst ones seem to be the lunch box and monster spike ones.

I condition tyres with cooking glycerin . A wipe over the tyres so they are well coated then slip a sandwich bag over them and close in with an elastic band to keep them supple . When you take them out of storage give them a wipe over with sponge , then brush the tyres with a boot brush after they are dried  , as it is water based it won't harm them as will give them a new look . Keep the bags for future storage

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes , for sure , the longer you leave it the better , so storing tyres like this is good . I've done it many times , sometimes left them for months and even years . Even better for tyres off the rims as you can smother the inside too

For my shelfers I also use the glycerin, I brush paint in on and just turn the tyres every day or so initially, you may get a couple drips under them depending how heavy handed you apply it, it works wonders though