Sign in to follow this  
burakol

Rere Bigwig C1 and Upright difference

65C59EA0-0618-44A3-8F21-A198153520EB.thumb.jpeg.e64c3a08c90a8f1586d90bdc87860407.jpegCurrently in a middle of a build for the rere Bigwig. Just about to start Bag C and as I was inspecting the finished front steering, i did notice the limited swing/turn. Upon reading some threads, this seems to be the norm, but I decided to recheck it again and found out that there is actually two sets uprights that came the box... one set is included in parts tree C (C1 to be exact), and the other is just a pair found inside the metals parts box... 

upon looking closely at the manual, it says that C1 is not to be used... well, fool me... C1 is what we initially used... so I switch it to the correct upright... however, upon inspecting closely, i really do not see an obvious difference in its design and geometry except that the ball ends hole is predrille on the correct upright vs part C1... as for the steering travel, i do not notice any difference... it still feels limited... 

so whats the difference here?

Good question. The extra uprights (the ones not on the main parts tree) started showing up in the Hotshot rerelease. These extra uprights gave better geometry compare to the original 3 hole Hotshot and Super (Hot) Shot ones. Starting with the Boomerang, Tamiya changed uprights for the original Boomerang to the two hole variety from there on out including the Bigwig. Why they included extra 2 hole uprights for re-res past the Super Hot Shot and if they are different from the ones on the parts tree is a mystery to me, though I'd like someone with more knowledge to shed some light on the subject.

Perhaps the bearing depth in the upright is different? I don't know. Somewhere, in all this mess, I also question why Tamiya used equal length dogbones on the Boomerang, Bigwig and Super Sabre and not on the others originally but only used equal length dogbones on the Boomer re-re but not the re-re Bigwig this time.

I have no idea what the difference is, but the hotshot rere also has two of sets, which are different. Does anyone know why the set that shouldn't be used is there? Is it an original release part that has been updated in the rere and they just included a second set instead of changing the mold?

45 minutes ago, foz75 said:

Is it an original release part that has been updated in the rere and they just included a second set instead of changing the mold?

Yes, the extra uprights are an updated part in the Hotshot and Super Hot Shot's case and they left the original old style uprights on the parts tree instead of changing the mold.