Hi everyone, new to the site and building Tamiya models. Have purchased a king hauler and asked this question of the supplier but the answer I got was a bit ambiguous. I am thinking of fitting it with lights and would like to know if they can be retro fitted after I have built it, which lights do I need for the tractor unit and can I then fit a separate set of lights to the trailer again which set are best and can all this be run of a 6 channel transmitter/receiver. Many thanks

Hi, yes you can fit lights after the truck is built, although it is easier to do it during the build. As to what to go for , that depends on what you want. Do you want all the sounds too ? if so there are various units that will give you sound and lights as well as acting as the ESC, The Tamiya MFC works well but there are other options. 

If you just want lights then something like the GT power light set works well, I have one of those in my Globe liner along with a stand alone sound unit. For the trailer it depends , if you have the Tamiya MFC then it will run trailer lights via a plug on the back of the tractor, my globe has a second GT power light kit in the trailer along with a a second reciever so the trailer replicates the lights on the truck.

Have a browse in the Trucks and Tanks section of the forum, there are loads of builds in there that will help.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the swift reply last night but will admit I am still confused lol I really would just like a set of lights on the tractor unit and a separate set on the trailer. I have seen the trailer set on modelsports website with the plug but just noe need a recommendation for a set for the tractor unit. Once again many thanks for your help 

• Like 1

I would recommend the MFC-01. It is made for the kit, everything fits the way it should. Makes it much easier on you. As far as the trailer goes, Tamiya makes the trailer light kit. That gives you the tail lights, turn signals, and brake lights. If you want additional lights like side lights, there are many ways to do this, which will involve drilling. How to control this depends on how many channel radio you have etc...

Gt power also made a 4 channel light kit only for the tractor which works ok. Pain to set up though and in the end I didn't really like it over the MFC. OBD also makes blue tooth stuff for the whole truck (2 piece kit). Which is made to be an add on to the MFC to add extra lights for truck and trailer.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the info I was just having a look on the modelsport site. I take it the trailer set you mention is the one with the grey plug on it that plugs into the mic. Can this be fitted after I have built it or during the build. Just another quick question though is the MFC-01 made by tamiya. Many thanms

the mfc is made by tamiya and the semi trailer light set is also and yes the trailer light set will plug into the mfc-01 again as it as already been said try and fit all the light while you are building the truck/trailer as you will have to take it back apart after if you decide to installe lights after you build the truck/trailer

you can buy other brands of truck/trailer lights and that then depends if you want sounds also you can also go for the tamiya tlu-02 and tlu-02 light kits but they can get expensive as they only come with a basic light set and you will need to buy more leds with them 

what i will say is try and buy it from a uk seller as alot of stuff comeing in from other countries is getting hit now with huge fees from the witch ever parcel company delivers it 

the semi trailer light set by tamiya will fit into the mfc and you will need to make a hole in the top of the rear of the shell witch is already marked for you .

i will say if you are using a mfc for the first time it can be a bit scary 

one a diff note what kind of trailer do you plan on buying

Once again thanks for all the help it really is appreciated. I will only buy from a UK supplier in fact I got the tractor and trailer from modelsport the trailer is the flatbed trailer. Will probably use this site for the light sets. As I am new to this its all a bit scary lol but hopefully it will keep me going in retirement in a few years time lol 

Put any lights in trailer before build. Do as much as you can (want to do)to it while building. It's just easier. It depends how far you want to go with it. The semi's are great to build and run. Very realistic and fun. The flatbed is a nice trailer.

Oh, I said OBD in my last post, I meant OB-1.

Don't stress out just enjoy. Take your time with it and plan what you want it to be. (many options) They have motorized trailer legs also.(should be done while building)

You can't have just one.