Mrowka

Receiver antenna repair

Anyone know whether it is feasible to repair the antenna on a DSM type receiver? 

Long story short, I've pinpointed the problem in one of my buggies to a damaged receiver antenna. 

I think I have read its not only a simple wire, the last two centimeter of the antenna is some special bit. But I have to admit, I forgot the essence of the article. It might have been something like coaxial cable related...

Edit: Probably this helps. It looks pretty trustworth to me.

Also this one, which explainds correlation between wavelenght (Ghz) and antenna lenght.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

Anyone know whether it is feasible to repair the antenna on a DSM type receiver? 

Long story short, I've pinpointed the problem in one of my buggies to a damaged receiver antenna. 

I have had a couple ripped out (caught in a driveshaft) and was able to buy a new one for a few dollars from Banggood. This was FHSS if that makes a difference. They just have a small plug, unplug the old one and plug in a new one. Pop the case open and see how its attached

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I have had a couple ripped out (caught in a driveshaft) and was able to buy a new one for a few dollars from Banggood. This was FHSS if that makes a difference. They just have a small plug, unplug the old one and plug in a new one. Pop the case open and see how its attached

If you'd like to take a closer look. I replaced an FHSS receiver wire this way. It was (literally) a snap :)

IMG-20200710-123756.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read (can't remember where) that the last approx. 2cm exposed core of 2.4ghz antenna is critical. I had a receiver that had lost this section and consequently the range was absolutely abysmal. So I measured the exposed end core length on a working tx of the same model and then stripped back the external sheathing on the non working one and this seemed to fix the range issue. These recivers are the core rc / tamco / etronix 3-channel fhss ones that are now as rare as hens teeth.