Sign in to follow this  
isomer1

diff setups for a general yard runner - suggestions needed

I started rebuilding my thundershot a year+ ago and, as happens, stalled out about three quarters of the way through the build. At the time I didn't do anything with the diffs besides adding the ball bearings I couldn't afford as a kid.

I want to build this up as a general yard runner. Mostly grass, no monster jumps, only on tarmac sporadically. I *do* love to run in the rain however.

Am I correct in thinking a mostly open front diff, and mostly closed rear diff is a good way to go? I was thinking Tamiya anti-wear grease up front, with diff putty or high viscosity diff oil in the rear. A year or so back '3RAC-6503' ultra high viscosity gear diff oil was suggested by several people on various builds.

I know there are a million threads on thundershots and setups, but I didn't want to hijack one of those. Plus I figure maybe it pertains to more setups in general. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the other way around - a bit stiffer up front to help pull the front end around and reduce understeer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Turnip, open at the back will be less likely to step out under throttle too.

As a suggestion though, try assembling the diffs as per the manual and see how it goes and then tune as needed. I've come full circle with how I set up Tamiya gear diffs. Tried various greases and ways of limiting diff slippage. In then end I've gone back to the minimalist approach. Just enough grease for the gears and off I go.

• Thanks 1