Exit13

Boomerang 1st Run (in a few decades)

Many of you have seen my other thread where I on un-earth my collection of vintage Tamia buggies. On this thread I decided to dedicate it just for the boomerang since it took me one month and 22 days of fixing, running / breaking aka being into the hobby before I got the boomerang going. Somehow my sonic fighter in its rather dismal previous State beat the boomerang to the road but all is right with the world because I ran the boomerang today. The first stop was popping of the front gear box so I can fix the steering and behold!  The only problem was the servos saver c was popped off. Well that was a quick fix, now let’s shove some Electronics in and a fresh battery.  And here goes

haMH8Wi.jpg

xb4f8bP.jpg

D3fq2tZ.jpg

uSJ7b3l.jpg

Well it runs. It seems kind of sluggish. As in it has some unexpected resistance.  I have to say as compared to all my other buggies it doesn’t really go that fast. Turns great though. I wonder if the vintage purple label Parma motor is the culprit or maybe the fact that it hasn’t run in decades and this should be the first one that I take apart, disassemble, clean and otherwise  go through everything grease it up and put it back together nice. Maybe I’ll do both that and put a fresh silver Can in it and try the Parma motor somewhere else.

• Like 4

I'd remove the motor and examine the rolling resistence of the various drivetrain parts; I suspect that one or more of your bearings may be partially siezed with rust or debris. I'm assuming you have bearings in it of course :) 

• Like 2

love to see old buggies revived and enjoyed!

agree with the others - claggy grease and seized bearings would be my first port of call, followed by battery and motor.

let us know how you get on!