Scrumpy 61

General info.

Hi everyone, relatively new to this and have a couple of questions. Have just purchased an airbrush to paint some non rc models but was wondering if it is possible to airbrush the inside of a lexan clear body shell with it and what paint would be best to use. I have noticed that the tamiya rattle cans give of some very strong fumes which mean I am painting outside nit good in the weather at the moment. Have seen some Vallejo ready mixed paints are these any good. Secondly I have just finished building 2 cars and they both came supplied with controllers one a twin stick the other a single handed with trigger and little steering wheel. I prefer the second option but can I use it with both cars if I buy the same make receiver to fit or can I use the 6 channel transmitter for my truck with z 2 channel receiver in the cars. Many thanks

tbh stick with rattle cans to paint a complete shell 

you can use a airbrush to paint the any shell if you want 

all rattle cans give of strong fumes/smell if you can use a mask when painting 

you can always decant paint from a rattle can to use in a airbrush or use jars/tin/can and thin out the paint mixture 

best thing to do is try a test first use either a plastic spoon or the inside of a clear plastic bottle to test on

and if you want to use a single "6 channel" controller for all your rc's then go for it just buy the relevant receivers and bind then to the controller

Hello and welcome!

36 minutes ago, Scrumpy 61 said:

Have just purchased an airbrush to paint some non rc models but was wondering if it is possible to airbrush the inside of a lexan clear body shell with it and what paint would be best to use. I have noticed that the tamiya rattle cans give of some very strong fumes which mean I am painting outside nit good in the weather at the moment. Have seen some Vallejo ready mixed paints are these any good.

Airbrushing the inside of a polycarbonate shell is certainly possible. Some people do all of their shells this way. However I am not sure if the paint you are referring to is good at adhering to polycarbonate, which typically needs a specially formulated paint to stick properly without flaking off when the shell flexes.

39 minutes ago, Scrumpy 61 said:

Secondly I have just finished building 2 cars and they both came supplied with controllers one a twin stick the other a single handed with trigger and little steering wheel. I prefer the second option but can I use it with both cars if I buy the same make receiver to fit or can I use the 6 channel transmitter for my truck with z 2 channel receiver in the cars.

In theory you ought to be able to do this, but some makes use different 2.4GHz protocols for different radio sets, so you would need the same make and model of receiver, or at least one that uses the same 2.4GHz protocol, to be sure that it will work.

The Vallejo paints are good for static plastic models. I'm not sure they would be ideal for polycarbonate though.  

On 2/22/2021 at 12:36 PM, Willsls1 said:

The Vallejo paints are good for static plastic models. I'm not sure they would be ideal for polycarbonate though.  

I’m not sure about Vallejo, but I know Permatex makes bottle Airbrush paint formulated for lexan/  polycarbonate 

Hi Dakratfink, thanks for the help however I was perusing this site and looked at modelsports link and they are selling watermarked acrylic paints that they say have been tested on polycarbonate bodies and are specifically for airbrushes. Did not know if you had seen these at all.