Sign in to follow this  
ewant81

Help removing bearings from old uprights

I’m in the middle of rebuilding my TA01 chassis and I need to replace the front uprights as they have cracked at the steering balljoint. 

I have a new set of uprights on order, I’m replacing them with the standard set. 

The problem is that I can’t get the metal bearings out of the old uprights, and I don’t really want to force them out!

Any tips for easing them out? 

I usually just tap them out with a 3mm allen driver, I tap the centre gently. If you are replacing the upright, can you not get new bearings, I was lucky and my old bearings came out when I replaced my front hubs last year.

• Like 1

get some WD40 in behind them and let it soak in for a while, then give them a good tap as @Matty36 said. 

If that fails you could put the uprights in hot water water for a while, as the plastic should expand more rapidly than the bearings, allowing them to come loose.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, jonboy1 said:

get some WD40 in behind them and let it soak in for a while, then give them a good tap as @Matty36 said. 

If that fails you could put the uprights in hot water water for a while, as the plastic should expand more rapidly than the bearings, allowing them to come loose.

Had been soaking them in GT85, but they weren’t for shifting. 

So I thought I would try resting them in some hot water whilst I prepped an old piece of wood for tapping them out with screwdriver and light mallet (drilled a hole bigger than bearing, but smaller than upright). 

Got the upright on the wood, placed the screwdriver on the centre ready to tap, and the bearing just fell out!

The hot water trick definitely worked and I got all 8 bearings out so easily. Thanks for the tip, worked wonders 😀

• Like 2