Sign in to follow this  
lifeofbrian2007

What alloy center prop shaft for Bigwig?

The Thundershot and Bigwig use the same propshaft, and there is a heavy duty sintered steel one on Shapeways which works with the stock drive cups. Not sure about an alloy option specifically for this chassis, but I think it was @ThunderDragonCy who came up with a way of making a TT-02 alloy propshaft fit using Hotshot drive cups?

• Like 1

Being a member of the Hotshot family, shouldn't the alloy propshaft and cups from the Hotshot and Super Hot Shot rereleases be a drop in replacement for the Bigwig as well?

I believe the Hotshot re-re drivecups listed as MR16 and propshaft listed as MR17 would replace the BA16/A3 drivecups and BC5 wire propshaft listed in the re-re Bigwig manual. 

I'm using the re-re Hotshot silver alloy shaft and steel drive cups on my Bigwig, it looks nice and works well.  I tried the slightly longer TT-02 blue alloy one as well (with the Hotshot drive cups), but the light anodised blue somewhat clashes with the yellow and dark blue plastics (in my opinion) so I stuck with the Hotshot one.

The other thing is if your running an 8.4V Nimh battery (which you should in a Bigwig) the stiffer chunkier alloy prop shafts make it a bit tight getting the battery in and out, especially with the TT-02 one.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Thundershot and Bigwig use the same propshaft, and there is a heavy duty sintered steel one on Shapeways which works with the stock drive cups. Not sure about an alloy option specifically for this chassis, but I think it was @ThunderDragonCy who came up with a way of making a TT-02 alloy propshaft fit using Hotshot drive cups?

As @NulnOilTycoon says the TT02 shaft will be a bit long, as for some reason the super hotshot shaft was a little short for the thunder dragon. The super hotshot shaft and cups should work perfectly for the bigwig.