Eskay

Newbie help - TA02 convert to offroad

Hi all. First post here. Been researching the forum for a while and decided to sign up. 

Back in the day, I was running my TA02 Promarkt AMG at a local club, just for fun. Upgraded the motor but can’t recall what I bought.  

My neighbour’s son was out recently with a Lunchbox, and the old bug kicked in immediately!

So I just bought my young son a Rising Fighter, so he’s got something (cheap) to race with the other kid (Mostly because I wanted something to build!). I was going to buy something new for me as well, but all the kits I want are currently unavailable. 

So now I'm thinking about modifying my old TA02 for off-road. It’s stuck at my dad’s place, but I’ll go get it as soon as I’m allowed. Before that, I want to collect the parts I need. 

I’ve read a few posts on fitting DF01 suspension components, and have made a list of parts. I’d really appreciate help making sure I’m buying the right bits, and if there is anything else I need to consider.

so far I have:

Manta Ray D parts x 2

Sa8 shafts x 4

3x21 self tap screws x 8

3x50 steering rods x2

Blitzer wheels/tyres

I dont know what’s best route for suitable shocks yet.

Will the Blitzer wheels fit the axles already on the car? Are they likely to break easily like the Aqroshot breaks axles?

I want maximum ground clearance I can get, but if the Blitzer wheels are going to be a problem, then I’ll go with F150 wheels.

Sorry, this ended up being a long post, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a fun project!

A few thoughts:

With the longer suspension arms, would you not also want to run longer shocks and taller shock towers as on the DF-01?

I take it you have two sets of rear Blitzer wheels? The fronts won't fit,  being bearing-in-wheel.

Have you given a thought to lower gearing to account for the bigger wheels? And is your motor mount upgraded to alloy?

You'll be putting a greater load on your gears with this mod. Is your pinion steel, your idler gears plastic and your gearbox top retained with the bolt-through mod? And is your drivetrain ballraced?

15 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Sounds like a fun project!

A few thoughts:

With the longer suspension arms, would you not also want to run longer shocks and taller shock towers as on the DF-01?

I take it you have two sets of rear Blitzer wheels? The fronts won't fit,  being bearing-in-wheel.

Have you given a thought to lower gearing to account for the bigger wheels? And is your motor mount upgraded to alloy?

You'll be putting a greater load on your gears with this mod. Is your pinion steel, your idler gears plastic and your gearbox top retained with the bolt-through mod? And is your drivetrain ballraced?

This is great thank you. Just the sort of input I was hoping for. 

l would like longer shocks but don't know which shock towers will fit.  Is my best bet to go for F150 stadium truck shock towers, or will anything else fit! I want as long throw on the shocks as possible, so I suppose I’ll have to measure up when everything else is fitted.

I haven’t got any bits yet, but thats a good point about it needing four rear blitzer wheels. Thats a bummer because I bet I’ll have to get two full sets.

I think I geared it down when I upgraded the motor. I will check that.

Im not sure if I ball-raced either. It has to have been at least 25 years ago, and My memory isn’t up to much. 

I don’t know about the gearbox top bolt through mod, so I’ll research that.

Thanks again for your help!👍🏻

All for the fun of breaking new ground but doesn’t a TT02B scratch this itch quicker + with fewer compromises if taking an on road chassis into the muck ?  

Wheels and shocks will never get a TA02 to off road ground clearance - and something else will likely break first bounce ?

41 minutes ago, Eskay said:

I don’t know about the gearbox top bolt through mod, so I’ll research that.

The idea is to use a longer bolt with a nut on it to help stop the gearbox lid from lifting like so:

49716914332_3394351448_b.jpg

On the other side, you can drill through the front right screw hole and put a bolt all the way through with a nut on the end. This relieves the stress which often leads to the gearbox cracking at this point.

49716679301_02ab983ddc_b.jpg

Another thing you can do to reduce the risk of cracks is to drill out the first half millimetre of each screw hole as below. This relieves the stress from the very edge of the holes where the cracks typically begin.

49716597356_c43183f7db_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Eskay said:

l would like longer shocks but don't know which shock towers will fit.  Is my best bet to go for F150 stadium truck shock towers, or will anything else fit! I want as long throw on the shocks as possible, so I suppose I’ll have to measure up when everything else is fitted.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that your gearboxes are already cracked, which is to be expected after a while with no mods. Fortunately, if you order sprues 0005375 and 0005376, you will get the parts to replace them, along with the front and rear shock towers for the DF-01 buggy version which will give you plenty of throw. They are pretty tall though, so you might want to raise your shell mountings, cut some clearance holes for the towers, or go full buggy and get a Manta Ray or similar shell for it. This might be a good option, as then you and your son will both be running buggies.

11 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

All for the fun of breaking new ground but doesn’t a TT02B scratch this itch quicker + with fewer compromises if taking an on road chassis into the muck ?  

Wheels and shocks will never get a TA02 to off road ground clearance - and something else will likely break first bounce ?

Well I do love the Neo Scorcher, and was thinking about it. But I want to thrash to about over on the park, and I’ve read many accounts of this a chassis being too low for grass if it’s any longer than a bowling green.

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that your gearboxes are already cracked, which is to be expected after a while with no mods. Fortunately, if you order sprues 0005375 and 0005376, you will get the parts to replace them, along with the front and rear shock towers for the DF-01 buggy version which will give you plenty of throw. They are pretty tall though, so you might want to raise your shell mountings, cut some clearance holes for the towers, or go full buggy and get a Manta Ray or similar shell for it. This might be a good option, as then you and your son will both be running buggies.

Thanks so much for your help. This is great stuff. Your pics have just reminded me of the the old flimsy prop shaft. I guess that will have to go!

8 hours ago, Thommo said:

Hello mate. I’m really glad you dropped in. It was actually your F-150 that got me into this train of thought in the first place! Lol

I hadn’t seen the Brat before. Looks awesome, and has answered my question regarding which shocks to go for. Both these examples look like plenty of ground clearance. Is there a durability issue, as Superchamp suggests? Or does bolting the gearboxes solve all that? I mean, my chassis wasn't overused, but its still 25 year old plastic.

do you think Blitzer wheels will work? I noticed you stuck to narrower wheels.

Blitzer rear wheels will work, just gear down to 16t pinion (steel).  I suggest some top force universals or after market ones and alloy top force front hubs and 1150 bearings.  The TA02 rear hubs work fine, the front ones will not.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:44 AM, Thommo said:

You need this ...

So i need Top Force hubs and TA01 uprights with 1150 bearings. Got it. Cheers.

Out of interest, is there a reason you opt for Top Force parts instead of Manta Ray?

The top force uprights and carriers are the same   As are ones from the ta01.

• Like 1

Yeah and I would go for alloy hubs and you need the correct step screw / king pin because they are a different size to the TA02. Swapping to Top Force hubs is critical to match the DF01 / Top Force drive shaft length.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help on this. Im excited to get it done now. I just need to find somewhere I can get all the bits from. 

Hi there, 

I've also got a question related to TA01 Front Upright Knuckle Arms (JazRider, Yeah Racing, GPM) : I would like to know how tall they are, in order to evaluate if I can fit them in the original C-hubs of my Wild Dagger (WR-01) :

image.png.acf9b04c8a7ac0b6b03bacffae48774c.png

I understood from the above discussion that I will need different bearings to accommodate the new steering uprights compared to the 1150 currently used in the genuine uprights from my WR-01, right ?

Many thanks for your help,

G-rem

My professional opinion I wouldn't convert the TA-02 into an offroad car its chassis wasn't designed for it yes it can be done but the underside will get wrecked to badword... If you want to go offroad I would consider getting a TT-02B chassis or a VX-01 chassis instead.... It has much better clearance and is far more reliable & durable then the old TA-02