Sign in to follow this  
Daniel.S15

What gear ratio for the Sport Tuned Motor?

So i have got an FF-01 and a TA-02 and i have just finished building them and i have never driven neither the FF-01(the manual (Castrol Civic) wanted me to build it with toe out which is weird, but that's in another topic) nor the TA-02.

Both of them have the the gear ratio set to 6,7:1(66T Spur, 24T Pinion) and my question is:

Isn't it too tall for the Sport Tuned and the Torque Tuned? The motors are brand new and i don't want to cook them on the first run.

What are your experience if it comes to gear ratio on these mild(ish) old brushed motors?

Oh, and please excuse me for my bad English. I am a Hungarian living in Germany so English is not even my second language, but believe me i do my best :)

• Like 1

Gear ratio comes down to a few things (running surface, tyre size/weight, driving style) . Ultimately as you have mentioned you don't want to overheat the motor.

If you have the 71T spur try that with the 24T, or get a 21 or 22T pinion and use that. 

The Torque tuned is the slower of the 2 motors so start with that one. Run it for a few mins and keep an eye on the temps. Use either a heat gun or the old finger test. If you can keep you finger on the can for 3 secs it is OK. 

You just need to not worry about ratios (imho) but in terms of mountain bikes 

small cog at front (pedals/pinion) and big at back (wheel/spur) means it’s fast at accelerating and easy on the motor but will not go fast as the motor screams 

the ones your stated seem ok - there is nothing bonkers there are the cars are pretty light 

get a 2S LiPo in there and then things will get warm but soooooo much fun

JJ

Is that just the standard kit gearing?  I find that gearing works for silvercans, torque tuned and sport tuned and you don't need to change.  There is headroom built into the gearing to make sure the motors don't overheat and there isn't a huge difference between those motors anyway.

It matters when you get into racing classes with restricted motors as you are trying to extract the most speed from the motor and are often pushing it to its limits.  The way my 17.5T buggies are geared if I lose a motor fan during a race I'd probably lose the motor.