Lucero

XV01 Options for a confused amatuer

Hi all,

Got an XV-01 and whilst I'm not new to the RC scene, it's been more years than I care to remember since I last bought and built up a car. 

So, here I have the XV-01 Lancia. I want to swap out the standard silvercan for something more meaningful, perhaps sensored brushless, which can run off of 2S Lipos.

Ideally, I want speed/acceleration, but definitely don't want a handful. The car should still handle nicely. The balance is what I''m after.

Some kit I already have:

• 2 x 2S Lipo
  • Overlander balance charger
  • Futaba S3004 servo

Spektrum DX5C TX

What motor/ESC combo should I be looking at to get that balance or power, handling and runtime? Additionally, the ESC must fit without the need to modify the chassis or electronics bay. Would a Justock 13.5t be ok for the XV01?

Thanks

A 13.5T motor would be a good  fit, but I would get a programmable ESC like the SkyRC TS120 or cheaper Trackstar 80a Turbo, with the program card  (hobbywing will have heaps of options but I don't know them). This will give the ability to add in timing and boost from the ESC so a 13.5T can run like a 6.5T if you want more speed.

That servo could be improved. A cheap and cheerful JX or SPT or Trackstar servo would do the job better and cheaper. Look for .10sec and 6+ kg torque with metal gears

19 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

A 13.5T motor would be a good  fit, but I would get a programmable ESC like the SkyRC TS120 or cheaper Trackstar 80a Turbo, with the program card  (hobbywing will have heaps of options but I don't know them). This will give the ability to add in timing and boost from the ESC so a 13.5T can run like a 6.5T if you want more speed.

That servo could be improved. A cheap and cheerful JX or SPT or Trackstar servo would do the job better and cheaper. Look for .10sec and 6+ kg torque with metal gears

Thanks Jonathon. I used to have a HW1050 QR (I think it was) but that wasn't programmable, or sensored. Can I still run a sensored motor and if so, do you have a recommendation? I think the Justock is ok but soldering connections isn't my forte. Not sure if there are ready made spade connector leads I could use?

Do you know if the programmable ESCs you've mentioned will fit in the electronics bay?

8 hours ago, Lucero said:

Thanks Jonathon. I used to have a HW1050 QR (I think it was) but that wasn't programmable, or sensored. Can I still run a sensored motor and if so, do you have a recommendation? I think the Justock is ok but soldering connections isn't my forte. Not sure if there are ready made spade connector leads I could use?

Do you know if the programmable ESCs you've mentioned will fit in the electronics bay?

Sorry i don't know if they'll fit. I don't have an XV01 but have heard its pretty tight.

I like Surpass Rocket motors. I have the V4S and V5R but you can get the V3 or V2 cheaper. For bashibg around thats what i would get, one of the older ones as they are much cheaper and still perform well. I get mine from Banggood or Aliexpress. You will need to solder though, i don't know of any sensored combo that comes prewired

Personally I think the Justock combos are a bit of a bargain. You get a great quality sensored ESC and usable sensored motor for well under £100. The Justock ESC is pretty small although as I don't own an XV01 I can't guarantee it will fit.

13.5 is a good amount of power, unless you are an absolute speed demon I doubt you would be disappointed. We had the Justock 13.5 as a control motor in a race series I did a few years ago and there were no problems.

They only run in Blinky mode but in my opinion programmable boost is an extra complication that you don't need.

Not sure whether the combos come pre-wired or whether you will need to do some soldering yourself.

I also think the S3004 is a fine servo. I have several of the S3003 in use but a lot of people are using the cheap Chinese no-name servos without problems.

• Like 2

I highly recommend the Hobby King X Car 120A esc. For 25€ its the same as a hobbywing esc.

buy also the usb dongle and you can set it up over pc wi Th the hobbywing app.

had two so far. They run on 2 and 3s also sensored or sensorless.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-x-car-120a-brushless-car-esc-sensored-sensorless.html?queryID=a38647cc1360373527a7a564a7e9a693&objectID=39998&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Personally I think the Justock combos are a bit of a bargain. You get a great quality sensored ESC and usable sensored motor for well under £100. The Justock ESC is pretty small although as I don't own an XV01 I can't guarantee it will fit.

13.5 is a good amount of power, unless you are an absolute speed demon I doubt you would be disappointed. We had the Justock 13.5 as a control motor in a race series I did a few years ago and there were no problems.

They only run in Blinky mode but in my opinion programmable boost is an extra complication that you don't need.

Not sure whether the combos come pre-wired or whether you will need to do some soldering yourself.

I also think the S3004 is a fine servo. I have several of the S3003 in use but a lot of people are using the cheap Chinese no-name servos without problems.

Thanks everyone, for the input.

Is this ok then. I really just need something now to get my wheels moving. The chassis has been built for months and all the talk of brushless, sensored, sensorless, KV this, Lipo that seems to have just created a minefield of what used to simply be, TX/RX servo, motor, drive :D

Will this fit the bill for now and I'll have to scrub up on my soldering skills . Will I need anything additional (cables, wires) to get the motor running that's not in this combo?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-juststock-combo-xr10-js4-black-g2-1-13-5t/rc-car-products/1330346

The 13.5 on 2s should be right at the upper limit of Tamiya gear durability and keep crash damage mostly affordable.  

I just picked up a 17.5 Justock (7.2v NiMH) for a M-chassis and am very pleased with its reliability and simplicity. It runs cool enough to use without the ESC fan and the car is very planted at all speeds.  I'd vouch for it.  

You'll likely be thrilled with the Justock's performance.

• Like 1

The 13.5 Justock is about perfect for an XV-01. You'll need a 300mm sensor wire to reach. Aim for about a 6.5:1 FDR or so for cool, reliable running.

I'd want a much better servo with a good servo saver to control the higher speeds and to take advantage of the XV-01s agility, something like a Savox 1251.

You can fit an enormous Castle Mamba X in an XV-01 and still use the stock electronics cover.

35 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

The 13.5 Justock is about perfect for an XV-01. You'll need a 300mm sensor wire to reach. Aim for about a 6.5:1 FDR or so for cool, reliable running.

I'd want a much better servo with a good servo saver to control the higher speeds and to take advantage of the XV-01s agility, something like a Savox 1251.

You can fit an enormous Castle Mamba X in an XV-01 and still use the stock electronics cover.

Thanks Big Jon, any links for the servo / servo saver and sensor wire so I know what I'm looking for. Will I need 3?

RIP FUTABA :D

The sensor wire is a relatively common part, available from a variety of manufacturers. I use TQ or Pro-Tek. You'll only need one.

The Tamiya High Torque servo saver is 51000.

10 hours ago, Big Jon said:

The sensor wire is a relatively common part, available from a variety of manufacturers. I use TQ or Pro-Tek. You'll only need one.

The Tamiya High Torque servo saver is 51000.

Thanks, so will this fit the bill?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-juststock-combo-xr10-js4-black-g2-1-13-5t/rc-car-products/1330346

I'm unsure about the 13.5t part detailed in the specs though. It suggests that 1/10 on road with a 2S Lipo would effectively be 8.5t

Applications - 1/10, 1/12 on-road & off-road CLUB competition and normal training

(Motor) KV Limit - Brushless Motor Limit 2S LiPo/4-6S NiMH: =8.5T (1/10 on-road), =11.5T (1/10 off-road)
Brushless Motor Limit 3S LiPo/8-9S NiMH:=13.5T (1/10 on-road), =17.5T (1/10 off-road) .

On 2s esc limit is 8.5T motor

on 3s esc limit is 13,5T motor

Because higher rpm and all.

5500kv x 7.4V = 40.700rpm
5500kv x 11.1V = 60.050rpm

big differences the eac probably could not handle.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

On 2s esc limit is 8.5T motor

on 3s esc limit is 13,5T motor

Because higher rpm and all.

5500kv x 7.4V = 40.700rpm
5500kv x 11.1V = 60.050rpm

big differences the eac probably could not handle.

It's the current draw rather than the RPM that is the limiting factor but basically yes, higher voltage means the ESC could only tolerate a milder motor. 2s and 13.5 is absolutely fine for the Justock.

• Like 1

Oh got it. It's basically saying that if I run a 2S Lipo, then with this ESC I could run down to a 8.5t motor. As opposed to, if you run 2S Lipo, your motor will effectively run at 8.5t.

So I'm good to click "buy" ? :lol:

1 minute ago, Big Jon said:

Yep, you're good to go. It'll be nice and zesty.

Thanks for all your help Big Jon.

Will the ESC/Combo I linked to come with the motor cables and I just need sensor wire?  I'm guessing a nice bit of heatshrink at the motor terminals never hurt?