Sign in to follow this  
Nikko85

Brushless note

I've got the Hobbywing  Brushless 2030 18T 5200KV running in my fake Tamiya QD.

Whenever the car moves (or if you move the wheels when the power is on) there is a defined note or pitch that comes from the gearbox that lasts carries on for half a second or so after the car has stopped. This doesn't happen when the power is off. It's a strange noise, like someone tapping a spring or metal bar at a specific pitch. At first I thought it was coming from the springs in the dampeners resonating, but it's coming from the gearbox. It also only happens when the car is switched on.

I've never heard anything like this in my other cars, Is this coming from the brushless motor? The car has quite abrasive noise from the gearbox when at speed. I'm not sure if the whine is a brushless motor (this is my first) or just a crappy gearbox, or some resonance issue caused by bad luck, but it really squeals like a pig.

Thanks in advance, and sorry this is a very basic question,

Not sure but ESC will have a high pitch to it. (electronic high pitch) Brushless motor cans should not be tightened to tight, this will bind them up, and gets worse when they get hot. Should be snug but not cranked on. You have some gear lash between pinion and spur gear? (not to tight) Possibly something out of place or tight in gear box. With out hearing it, sounds like electronic noise motor or esc. (whine)

That's all I can think of.

Another thought. Try to hold wheels so they won't spin, and give it a little throttle, do you hear the noise still even though wheels/gears are not spinning? A brushless motor is more electronic than a brushed motor and could create a high pitch also. Also if you spin the wheels by hand, is there any tightness/binding or is it smooth? Check those few things and see what you find.