Sign in to follow this  
Exit13

Falcon Rim Fail

I found these yellow rims and tire set on eBay and payed a pretty penny for them. But as I was building back my sonic I needed to move the white rims from off my Falcon and back on to Sonic (where they were originally from). So it made perfect sense to get these yellows. Plus look at the tires that came with. I’ve never seen them before so any help identifying them would be appreciated too As I’d like to put this rubber on the sonic. 
lxxH0JT.jpg
so on to my Issue. The snow on my lawn is at the perfect consistency this AM. A bit of freezing rain to pack it down last night with cold temps overnight left a hard Icey crust with plenty of stability to hold up a RC car. For about three seconds I was humbled and amazed at how well the AG rear tires dug in and how responsive these front spike were. And then without warning or any impact with anything I took a Corner and 

fU7uULd.jpg

uT4NjOI.jpg
 There the rim lay in to top of the crusted snow As if I forgot to put on a nylock nut, oh the agony! Did the eBay seller play me?  I’ve never heard of this happening on any of my Buggies  and I’ve had them since the 80’s  oh well  so on to the solution:

1. Does anyone know where to get some?

2. Yellow preferred but I’d paint white ones?

3 what other cars other than sonic share the adapter?  Looks like a 4 pronger.  I’d even settle for a mismatched rim that fits in size so I don’t have to steal from sonic to get back out there  thanks again TC

tamiya are apparently re releasing the falcon this year, so if you can wait until that happens, you'll be able to get some new wheels, same as the originals. 

2 hours ago, Exit13 said:

I found these yellow rims and tire set on eBay and payed a pretty penny for them. But as I was building back my sonic I needed to move the white rims from off my Falcon and back on to Sonic (where they were originally from). So it made perfect sense to get these yellows. Plus look at the tires that came with. I’ve never seen them before so any help identifying them would be appreciated too As I’d like to put this rubber on the sonic. 
lxxH0JT.jpg
so on to my Issue. The snow on my lawn is at the perfect consistency this AM. A bit of freezing rain to pack it down last night with cold temps overnight left a hard Icey crust with plenty of stability to hold up a RC car. For about three seconds I was humbled and amazed at how well the AG rear tires dug in and how responsive these front spike were. And then without warning or any impact with anything I took a Corner and 

fU7uULd.jpg

uT4NjOI.jpg
 There the rim lay in to top of the crusted snow As if I forgot to put on a nylock nut, oh the agony! Did the eBay seller play me?  I’ve never heard of this happening on any of my Buggies  and I’ve had them since the 80’s  oh well  so on to the solution:

I've had old thundershot rims do this down to plastic fatigue!

3 what other cars other than sonic share the adapter?  Looks like a 4 pronger.  

Grasshopper 2, fox, wild one????

1 hour ago, catman79 said:

tamiya are apparently re releasing the falcon this year, so if you can wait until that happens, you'll be able to get some new wheels, same as the originals. 

Where did you see that?

@taffer  thanks. That’s what I needed. G hopper 2 rims on order from RC mart. Spray can in hand when they arrive in three week. 

6 hours ago, catman79 said:

Does Tamiya actually crank out extra parts to sell separately for the re re’s?  With the Terra Scorcher re re last year I haven’t seen an increase in tire availability or other parts (front bumper, body shells, etc)?  They re re complete kits but those re re kits will likely need parts too yet where are the parts?

2 hours ago, H22A4 said:

Does Tamiya actually crank out extra parts to sell separately for the re re’s?  With the Terra Scorcher re re last year I haven’t seen an increase in tire availability or other parts (front bumper, body shells, etc)?  They re re complete kits but those re re kits will likely need parts too yet where are the parts?

I don’t know but when I go on RC mart I can buy thunder shot parts trees, bumpers and terra white rims. Where else are those parts from?  They can’t be left over from BITD. 

5 hours ago, Exit13 said:

I don’t know but when I go on RC mart I can buy thunder shot parts trees, bumpers and terra white rims. Where else are those parts from?  They can’t be left over from BITD. 

Good to know. I didn’t consider RCMart until you mentioned it and they’ve got parts there! Clearly I’m living under a rock.

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

@Exit13 You're not alone :ph34r:

gh_kyoshowheel_fail_01.jpg

gh_kyoshowheel_fail_02.jpg

That’s not going to glue back together as easy as mine did my BMX friend!!

There are guys who buy new kits to part them out , so you should be able to get something . I think the Wild One / Fox wheels fit on those mounts . I've had that happen on Wild One fronts .On later releases Tamiya did 'beef up' the W/O front and rear wheels to counter this . I did a reinforcement job by bonding a disc of plastic card to the back of my Wild One runners fronts to help prevent what happened in the second pic.

P6060003.JPG

P6060001.JPG

6 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

There are guys who buy new kits to part them out , so you should be able to get something . I think the Wild One / Fox wheels fit on those mounts . I've had that happen on Wild One fronts .On later releases Tamiya did 'beef up' the W/O front and rear wheels to counter this . I did a reinforcement job by bonding a disc of plastic card to the back of my Wild One runners fronts to help prevent what happened in the second pic.

P6060003.JPG

P6060001.JPG

Thanks. I got a set of white g hopper 2 rims coming from RC mart. I will Just paint one yellow With my lunch box spray paint. 

• Like 1