dc-arena

Falcon - Re-Release apparently coming

11 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Yes, his 15,000 subscribers and 6,000 views must save Tamiya a fortune in advertising to the masses :lol:

6000 ALL RC fans ;)

mans now there is a thread on Tamiya club talking about it 

how many people pre ordered a top force evo because they saw it on either his channel or Tamiya legends ;)

weirdly, before Xmas I saw clod blacks pre order at Tamico and stated as “release date” and I spoke to Tony Tamiya and he said he’d spoken to his contact and asked about re re and they confirmed there wasn’t a re re so assumed it would just be some extra stock found 

Tamiya could do things so much better on social media. 

JJ

The fact that no one on this forum has offered any verification for this supposed re-release makes me think that it just ain't happening??

Having said that, back to the 'if you throw enough............something will eventually stick' comment made earlier, this is true right??  I mean, so far it seems like a fairly glaring omission from the re release catalogue, and surely sooner or later it has to happen??  Unless of course there's a viable reason for why it hasn't happened??  Maybe this takes us back to the issue of trying to find a rhyme or reason behind Tamiyas re release planning.............

Somebody knows somethings, in the past two weeks there have been many Falcons going for as little as £110, including a shelf queen that went for £150.

I’ve contacted Tony at tonytamiyaparts who is an actual Tamiya dealer and he says it’s pure speculation. He hasn’t heard anything about the falcon. Could always change but that’s where things are right now. 

Does seem odd that after their initial announcments just a few weeks back that this would come out.

Look i hope its true, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, its in my opnion another of those iconic Tamiya body designs; and remember seeing it in the Tamiya catalog back in the day, but never being able to see one in person or at a LHS here in Aus, finally being able to get my hands on one would be nice.

Secondly, its the same chassis as the Bear Hawk, another in my opnion, nice looking body, so if that also means a chance at a re-re hawk then im all for it.

Would be good if tamiya did another large release of models at the end of the year...

Falcon, striker, bear hawk, king cab, hotshot 2, king blackfoot etc.....

End the year like it began!

3 hours ago, taffer said:

Would be good if tamiya did another large release of models at the end of the year...

Falcon, striker, bear hawk, king cab, hotshot 2, king blackfoot etc.....

End the year like it began!

Yeah. And sprinkle in a little sonic fighter or striker while they are at it. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 10:02 AM, Wandy said:

Kyosho will announce the Mid re-re this year, I am almost certain of it.

I really hope you are right on this one

I really hope this is true - if it is then its a must buy. Always wanted a Falcon!

On 2/28/2021 at 3:02 AM, Ryz82 said:

Secondly, its the same chassis as the Bear Hawk

Well they share the chassis tub and that's pretty much it. Same as the blitzer trucks and beetle, just the tub.  It's a huge amount of unique and fairly poorly desiged parts that would have to get made so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does get re released. 

I can't see it having mass appeal with its fragility. Hopefully it doesn't reflect in a hypothetical pricetag, more expensive for the collector.

9 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Well they share the chassis tub and that's pretty much it. Same as the blitzer trucks and beetle, just the tub.  It's a huge amount of unique and fairly poorly desiged parts that would have to get made so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does get re released. 

I can't see it having mass appeal with its fragility. Hopefully it doesn't reflect in a hypothetical pricetag, more expensive for the collector.

I thought they shared a bit more than that. Not that it really matters, as chances are neither will be getting a re-re and this is all hyperbole fuled by internet rumours.

Personally the fragility factor doesnt phase me too much. I think, that still comes down to how you plan to use/run them; knowing limits etc. I understand each kit has their own weak points, or parts, and people like to focus on them - recent VQS re-re apparently not updating a known weak component - but i wonder how many people who picked up the re-re (or didnt as a result of the lack of change to that part) are/were going to turn them into shelf queens vs occasional runner (with stock or slighly modded electronics) vs hardcore runner (upgraded eletronics) ?

If they are going to re-release the Falcon, it needs to be largely redesigned.   I wish all of Tamiya's re-releases could re-deigned to fix the weakness.    I think they could re-use the old gearbox internals and the suspension arms.   The chassis, the front bulkhead, and the drive shafts need a complete re-design.   The old Falcon design is unsuitable for today's power systems and the expectations of hobbyists.   Re-releasing the originals will just remind people about the poor design of these Tamiya products.   The weakness of the Striker chassis was even worse than the Falcon.   

Bear hawk re-release is probably redundant, but the blitzer beetle and stadium thunder might be popular if the designs were updated to make them more rugged.

• Like 2

Ampro does a front brace for the falcon already and the stadium blitzer, stadium thunder and blitzer beetle were rere years ago and were popular.

I have little sympathy with a hobbyist who would be able to buy a rere falcon and not realise its history and then complain the brushless system they put in has wrecked the car.

If buying a rere falcon (if and when available) , out of the box it will happily last for many years (just like some originals have). If installing a 20t motor for example id recommend also replacing the screw pins for shafts to reduce the likelihood of splits.

It would be fun to put a fresh version through its paces.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

I’d not buy one if it was a falcon shell on a new chassis :)

JJ

Lets say Tamiya change to new chassis and bulkhead mouldings that have the same overall dimensions and looks externally similar to the old one... Perhaps they could change it so the front bulkhead attaches with 6 screws instead of 4 and the chassis has properly engineered reinforcement around the mounting points.   So, if it looks 90% similar, but 200% better durability, then would you be curious to get a kit to see how they re-engineered the revised mouldings?

It's not really a falcon then....if they called it a hawk or similar and called it a dt-04?

Like the striker, if you run in spaces where collisions are unlikely (not in the street) then if should have a pain free life.

• Like 2

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this Falcon chassis issue for me. If the Bear Hawk and Blitzer trucks share the same tub chassis as the original Falcon, why do we not constantly hear about chassis/front end breakages on those? For years I've read a  Falcon chassis will break at the slightest provocation, yet the Blitzers are considered durable, reliable runners. I've owned Blitzers but never a Falcon so I'm curious.

Good question.   I am not 100% sure of the answer.   I think the front bulkhead in the Blitzer trucks is more rigidly designed, so the loading is more evenly shared between the upper and lower chassis bolts.   They both have a tendency to break as far as I know.

• Like 1

I’d rather fit chassis braces or buy new chassis at £14 each ;)

As a kid, my falcon was always dying but working out ways to fix it was great fun :)

I know what people are saying but nah ;) hahaha

JJ

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taffer said:

Ampro does a front brace for the falcon already and the stadium blitzer, stadium thunder and blitzer beetle were rere years ago and were popular.

I have little sympathy with a hobbyist who would be able to buy a rere falcon and not realise its history and then complain the brushless system they put in has wrecked the car.

If buying a rere falcon (if and when available) , out of the box it will happily last for many years (just like some originals have). If installing a 20t motor for example id recommend also replacing the screw pins for shafts to reduce the likelihood of splits.

It would be fun to put a fresh version through its paces.....

Can you elaborate a little re replacing the screw pins for shafts. I’m very interested in this as I just restored a hardly used Falcon and managed to split one of the front arms while reassembling despite being super careful. Where does one find these shafts?

I totally agree that IF the Falcon is re released it should be 100% original. Real cars break when you crash them so RC buggys should too......

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344533015/?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkn1K0-FgquEoWhosOHg3uo4YDKSuL8aBhKMuNspD7jhrd3-HZd1iNBoCnqQQAvD_BwE

A set like this should cover most of the screw pins, using the manual calculate which lengths you'll need....you may also need a tamiya shim set to take up any slack, there's also a dt02 shaft set for 22mm length

1 hour ago, taffer said:

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344533015/?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkn1K0-FgquEoWhosOHg3uo4YDKSuL8aBhKMuNspD7jhrd3-HZd1iNBoCnqQQAvD_BwE

A set like this should cover most of the screw pins, using the manual calculate which lengths you'll need....you may also need a tamiya shim set to take up any slack, there's also a dt02 shaft set for 22mm length

That’s good to know, thanks......

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this Falcon chassis issue for me. If the Bear Hawk and Blitzer trucks share the same tub chassis as the original Falcon, why do we not constantly hear about chassis/front end breakages on those? For years I've read a  Falcon chassis will break at the slightest provocation, yet the Blitzers are considered durable, reliable runners. I've owned Blitzers but never a Falcon so I'm curious.

It's largely exaggerated, in my experience. The "ears" that hold the front bulkhead to the tub are slender and thin plastic, not like the chunky Blitzer pieces, and I guess that's where they break. But I had one back in the 80s, and another about ten years ago, and never had any issues with breakage. I did break the top of one shock tower once, where the top bolt goes through, also a very slim bit of material. But that was when I was doing donuts in a baseball diamond and wedged it under a chain-link fence...

• Like 2

Chassis breakage is real On the Falcon. It didn’t take me long  since I started running my Falcon before I was breaking the chassis and the bulk head. A longer screw was the fix on the chassis after of course both top and bottom braces. Pin to Power to the rescue with the top and bottom braces and new bulk head.

YYiq7DX.jpg

• Like 2