Sign in to follow this  
Tamiya1973

Carbon Fibre Washer Upgrade for Blackfoot and Monster Beetle Gearbox - ebay link attached

There's been a few versions along similar lines already;

2010: Mine/Biggus's https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95689&id=169  and  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95681&id=280

2016: MHeald's https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/79740-monster-beetle-gearbox-mod-parts-now-in-production/

2020: Problemchild's https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94042-monster-beetle-frog-gearbox-fix-a-new-strengthener/&tab=comments#comment-798884

If the eBay version works in a similar fashion you should be ok, shame they don't have a pic of their product :blink:

Edit:
If you check out the last page of the 2020 thread, it looks like @Xeostar might be starting another run;

• Like 2

Because we’ve designed it to be 3D printed   we can do low number production run :)

i drove my beetle this weekend in a damp street (brushless 3s LiPo) and it’s bonkers!!!! But no clicking

anyway - speak to @Xeostar

JJ

Checked out the  ad.. It has pictures of the King Blackfoot and Blackfoot III which I think don't have the "frog" style gearbox.

I can appreciate the seller not having a pic of the washer, but having the wrong cars seems weird.

Xeostar's one looks to be on the money.

• Like 1

The issue with the ORV gearbox is the sides flex allowing the diff cogs to part

the washers just act as a way of reducing the diff cogs separating as much but the sides still flex the same

this just makes the diff tighter and could increase wear through additional pressure 

The @mheald version and the @Xeostarversion clamps the sides of the gearbox to keep it in place - as i said, my gearbox is handling 3s LiPo and a brushless motor now 

JJ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

Checked out the  ad.. It has pictures of the King Blackfoot and Blackfoot III which I think don't have the "frog" style gearbox.

I can appreciate the seller not having a pic of the washer, but having the wrong cars seems weird.

Xeostar's one looks to be on the money.

Exactly my problem with such an ad..  if the seller can't be bothered to present factual information(correct transmission which has the problem),  or post a drawing/photo of the actual item.. how good can this be?  I'm not saying that the product is a dud, but this isn't the best way to go about trying to sell it. 

Conversely, I purchased the 3d printed transmission brace from Xeostar and highly recommend it.  I'm using it on a Blackfoot chassis, Sport Tuned motor on 2s, ZERO issues and I drive it as if the gearbox were never a bother to begin with.

If the carbon fiber washer is a shim, CRP already made those. eBay it...

If the carbon fiber washer goes on the outside, then there are already several solutions. I like the MHeald plates but the Xeostar plate is very nice and also works as a skid plate.

Terry

• Like 1

The reason they don’t show pictures is because if you saw what it was then

1. you wouldn’t buy it and 

2. if you still wanted it you’d buy it elsewhere at 1/10th the price.

I haven’t bought one but I would speculate that it’s just a shim to take up the slack in the side wall movement - keeping the diff cogs tighter and thus reducing slippage BUT adds tightness into the system under normal loads that could lead to excessive wear.

You want to maintain the standard gear face contact pressure but stop them moving apart as the power is applied and the angle of the gears naturally forces things apart 

hence @Xeostar and I designed the brace as the next step on from the amazing work @mheald did with his solution 

JJ

• Like 2