Nirrot

Masking for a paint job

Hi, anybody have any advice/experience/opinion on the best way to mask over PC spray when working on a paint job? I have liquid mask and tape but obviously don't want to lift off what I already have.

Thanks for any input. 

20210224_221306.jpg

8 hours ago, Nirrot said:

Hi, anybody have any advice/experience/opinion on the best way to mask over PC spray when working on a paint job? I have liquid mask and tape but obviously don't want to lift off what I already have.

Thanks for any input. 

20210224_221306.jpg

Tamiya`s tape should be gentle enough not to disturb existing colour when you peel it off as long you have left the gold long enough to cure, IE overnight

9 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

What colour are you painting the rest of it ?

The main body and spoiler colour will be purple/green, although there will be some black too.

1 hour ago, Wetman said:

Tamiya`s tape should be gentle enough not to disturb existing colour when you peel it off as long you have left the gold long enough to cure, IE overnight

Great thanks. There is no rush so will be leaving it a few days between masks/colours. 👍

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your sequence has been here but I assume you previously masked the wing in order to spray the gold?

What I would have done is left the masking on, and then backed the gold with something that would give it extra opacity to stop the purple bleeding through.

Silver or black would be your normal choices. Since you will be using black anyway you might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

The picture makes it looks like the gold is on rather thinly anyway (could be a trick of the light) so I would probably re-mask (accurately), add a couple more thin coats of Gold, then remove the masking where there needs to be black, and then lay on the black as a backing coat before finishing with the purple.

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

I'm not sure what your sequence has been here but I assume you previously masked the wing in order to spray the gold?

What I would have done is left the masking on, and then backed the gold with something that would give it extra opacity to stop the purple bleeding through.

Silver or black would be your normal choices. Since you will be using black anyway you might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

The picture makes it looks like the gold is on rather thinly anyway (could be a trick of the light) so I would probably re-mask (accurately), add a couple more thin coats of Gold, then remove the masking where there needs to be black, and then lay on the black as a backing coat before finishing with the purple.

Ah ok, I'm certainly planning to lay the black over the body and spoiler last as it is an iridescent paint. I was trying to decide whether to lay the purple/green over the gold or mask it off again and then lay the black directly over both (or the black over the purple/green, which is already laid over the gold).

I agree it does look a little thin, it may be a trick of the light as from other angles it seems well covered. I applied 3 coats at about 30-45 minute intervals.

3 hours ago, Nirrot said:

Ah ok, I'm certainly planning to lay the black over the body and spoiler last as it is an iridescent paint. I was trying to decide whether to lay the purple/green over the gold or mask it off again and then lay the black directly over both (or the black over the purple/green, which is already laid over the gold).

I agree it does look a little thin, it may be a trick of the light as from other angles it seems well covered. I applied 3 coats at about 30-45 minute intervals.

3 coats is normally fine. It's always worrying when you put the next colour on though - you never know what might show through!

3 hours ago, sosidge said:

3 coats is normally fine. It's always worrying when you put the next colour on though - you never know what might show through!

Yeah, especially when it needs a dark coat underneath to make it work! Am taking your advice and re-masking for more gold, juat in case. Think I'll put a thin layer of black over the gold before laying the iridescent paint on top and then the full black layer over that. Was also thinking that the spoiler will need layering as the side wings (no idea how else to describe them) will end up black on the outside surface if I don't. So really hoping a black layer between these coats works. 😬

Thanks for everybody's help. 👍

• Like 1

The purple green tamiya paint is nice, I painted a truck with it and a mustang a few years ago.20200503_154450.thumb.jpg.15cc5eae3b150a67655a0fa5ed67cf2a.jpg

9 hours ago, Matty36 said:

The purple green tamiya paint is nice, I painted a truck with it and a mustang a few years ago.20200503_154450.thumb.jpg.15cc5eae3b150a67655a0fa5ed67cf2a.jpg

What wheels have you got on there? They're nice.