Jump to content
Smokeylocc420

Supah Clodbustah (Brushed) Motah Suggestions

Recommended Posts

Sorry I had fun with the title haha

Anywho, I got a vintage Novak SR and stock Mabuchis...I hear these can rip if powered decently, but does anyone have any suggestions for other motors? I read pros/cons about Titan 550s and HPIs, but any old school motors come to mind? I'd like to run at least 9 cells (NIMH 4200mah sub c) which the SR can handle...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Woops, sorry for asking...I just saw Paulyj's thread, gonna start there haha.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stock 540s on 2s lipo is a really nice setup. With a decent 4-link setup and some good shocks, step up to 3s but keep the 540 motors, and you'll put mod Clods from the '80s-90s to shame. Everyone's first instinct is to go for more motor, when simply using the right battery makes a far bigger difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smokeylocc420 - I’ve read so many threads and posts since I started my thread - I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to stick with silver can’s and add 3S power through my Hobbywing 880 when I want it to be quick... and later I have a pair of HPI Firebolt’s  to try when I fancy messing around with setups a bit... I have to agree with @markbt73 above - it does look like good battery choice makes a huge difference! (and a good ESC)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, paullyjay said:

@Smokeylocc420 - I’ve read so many threads and posts since I started my thread - I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to stick with silver can’s and add 3S power through my Hobbywing 880 when I want it to be quick... and later I have a pair of HPI Firebolt’s  to try when I fancy messing around with setups a bit... I have to agree with @markbt73 above - it does look like good battery choice makes a huge difference! (and a good ESC)

Someone I know well often says "Volt up and Gear down".  This is incredibly easy to do with Crawlers... But Clodbuster, notsomuch. 

You CAN fit Gear Reduction Units - but that'll make the Motors stick out farther than 550s would!! 😲 

3S will really give the Clod some PUNCH!!👊  The great thing about a Throttle is - it doesn't HAVE to be WFO all the time!! Spending time, running at half Throttle is STILL between 5.5 and 6 Volts. MORE than many of the NiCd Batteries back when the Clodbuster was NEW!! And, the Motors and ESC will cool down Quicker at reduced Voltage, than they would if you just stopped the Truck and let it Heat Soak! 

..... But, if you want MO POWEH BABEH!! 😜 In an Old School Motor.....  The old Trinity Monster Series on 3S would definitely do the trick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, Carmine A said:

Someone I know well often says "Volt up and Gear down".  This is incredibly easy to do with Crawlers... But Clodbuster, notsomuch. 

You CAN fit Gear Reduction Units - but that'll make the Motors stick out farther than 550s would!! 😲 

3S will really give the Clod some PUNCH!!👊  The great thing about a Throttle is - it doesn't HAVE to be WFO all the time!! Spending time, running at half Throttle is STILL between 5.5 and 6 Volts. MORE than many of the NiCd Batteries back when the Clodbuster was NEW!! And, the Motors and ESC will cool down Quicker at reduced Voltage, than they would if you just stopped the Truck and let it Heat Soak! 

..... But, if you want MO POWEH BABEH!! 😜 In an Old School Motor.....  The old Trinity Monster Series on 3S would definitely do the trick.

I got some monstah horsepowah motors but neither are reverse rotation, are they preset at zero timing you think? Or are you referring to the revenge of the monster?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took out the TEU-106 BK (stock Tamiya dual-motor esc) from my Agrios last night and installed a Hobbywing 880.  Still using stock silver cans and I also bought a pair of 3s 5200 mah lipos to test things out.  The Agrios is a little heavier than my Bullhead, which now has Sport Tuned motors and a Hobbywing 880 esc as well.  As of now, on 2s the Bullhead is faster than the Agrios (expect with a slightly lighter vehicle using slightly "hotter" motors).

I'm going to test the speed of stock silver cans on 3s (Agrios) vs. Sport Tuned on 2s (Bullhead).  Since I'm using new silver can Sport Tuned motors on the Bullhead, I may try them on 3s as well.. but I fear they might overheat quickly.  Will report back soon..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been running Torque Tuned motors on 3S in a few Clod based trucks for a while now with good results, Sport Tuned should be about the same.  The Agrios on 3S w/silver cans will definitly be faster than the BH on 2S w/Sport Tuned motors.  I think any of Tamiyas "stock" motors are great in Clods & TXTs when running on 3S.  That includes 27t silver cans, Torque Tuned, and Sport Tuned.  Enough power to be a bit of fun without breaking lots of parts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smokeylocc420 said:

I got some monstah horsepowah motors but neither are reverse rotation, are they preset at zero timing you think? Or are you referring to the revenge of the monster?

Those Motors are what USED to be considered "Stock Class", Timing locked at 12 Degrees. 

Revenge of the Monstah may work.....

Thinking about it, Holmes Hobbies 13T to 18T Crawlmaster Sport Motors would be best. Durable as all ****, and all Zero Timing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can report back and vouch for silver cans on 3s.  Plenty of power and on my Agrios the motors were barely warm after a bash session. 

 

I think other issues to factor into the decision are whether you are using stock wheels and tires and where exactly you plan to run.  If I run in tall grass,  will most likely cause the motors to heat up a bit more.. but I have fans installed so I'm not worried.  I have the stock Agrios wheels and tires which are not nearly as wide and perhaps not as heavy as Clod wheels and tires, even with included foam inserts.  Just things to consider.. but I am happy with the performance of the silver cans on 3s. 

Next I'll try my Bullhead with Sport Tuned motors on 3s.  I have heatsinks and cooling fans on there as well but I suspect 3s may be pushing towards the upper limit of what those Sport Tuned motors will tolerate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna stay stock cans for now, with a Novak Supah Roostah using some sub-c nimh 4200 9 cell pack (might try an 880 esc down the way)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...