wintersdawn

New Vintage Sand Rover Finished & Run - Updated on Page 2

Hi, I got the Sand Rover below yesterday with the original decal sheet and have been trying to decide whether to leave it as it is or paint/decal it, any advice greatly appreciated.  The background from the seller is that it was used as a prop in TV shows and looks like it has never been run.

Will I add value or reduce value by doing the paint/decals?  Cheers.

IMG_5525.JPG

I suppose you have missed the boat as an NIB model in terms of value but I think unpainted would still command a higher price. I would also make sure you look after the tyres. Sitting on them won’t do them any good?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I would also make sure you look after the tyres. Sitting on them won’t do them any good?

Thanks for the advice.

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I suppose you have missed the boat as an NIB model in terms of value

Yes, I see where you're coming from, as not NIB probably reduces its value considerably, maybe I'll just sell it on as an obscure curio of limited value.  Disappointed really as thought I'd finally found something of real interest/value.  Any pointers as to a reasonable price? Cheers.

s-l1600.jpg

17 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

Disappointed really as thought I'd finally found something of real interest/value.

Don't be. You have. The contents of that picture look like gold to me. It even has that antenna ribbon. Value? I don't know. Quite a lot.

• Confused 1

Sorry I didnt mean to imply it was not valuable just that its probably less than an NIB. Un assembled originals on Fleabay from £900 upwards up to £2500 (Yeah really):wacko:

• Like 1

I suppose the question is, why did you buy it ? Was it as an investment, or because you just liked it ? If it was as investment, then probably don't paint it and decal it. If you bought it as a nice shelf queen to look at, I'd paint and decal it box art and enjoy it as an ornament and not worry about the value.  (I assume you didn't get it to use as a runner :) )

What you've got there has got to be worth at least £300 of anybody's money,  could well be worth more. 

The battery is probably dead, but I would disconnect it as the speed controller is not in the neutral position.............

Edit: Sorry, seen you've already done that, was just looking at the last picture.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

I suppose the question is, why did you buy it ? Was it as an investment, or because you just liked it ? If it was as investment, then probably don't paint it and decal it. If you bought it as a nice shelf queen to look at, I'd paint and decal it box art and enjoy it as an ornament and not worry about the value.  (I assume you didn't get it to use as a runner :) )

What you've got there has got to be worth at least £300 of anybody's money,  could well be worth more. 

The battery is probably dead, but I would disconnect it though as the speed controller is not in the neutral position.............

I bought it as I wanted an original Sand Rover and intended to paint it TS-12 orange (have ordered the paint) and put on the original decals included but since have started to wonder, after all it has been the way it is for maybe 42 years and its something about its history, about leaving it untouched as its been that way for so long.  Also thinking of value, I have been advised that collectors prefer something without new paint on.  So yes, I'm torn but at the moment I think its going to stay white.  I already have a painted Sand Rover (although DT-02).

Thanks for the info about the msc position, am only just learning about these as have always had esc's.     

IMG_5517.JPG

The other deciding factor may be how much you paid for it in the first place. If it was a cheap “barn find” your quids in which ever way you go but if you paid top dollar then you may loose out. (Sorry about the mixed currency 😆)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

I bought it as I wanted an original Sand Rover and intended to paint it TS-12 orange (have ordered the paint) and put on the original decals included but since have started to wonder, after all it has been the way it is for maybe 42 years and its something about its history, about leaving it untouched as its been that way for so long.  Also thinking of value, I have been advised that collectors prefer something without new paint on.  So yes, I'm torn but at the moment I think its going to stay white.  I already have a painted Sand Rover (although DT-02).

Thanks for the info about the msc position, am only just learning about these as have always had esc's.     

IMG_5517.JPG

The sand rover was my very first proper RC model, so that is a trip down memory lane. The MSC is basically a big resistor, the neutral position is with the wiper in the middle, full travel to one side is full forward, and full travel to the other side is full reverse. It's a truly proportional speedo rather than the later 3 step MSCs, but they did have a tendency to burn out, hence the move in later models to the 3 step speed controllers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

The sand rover was my very first proper RC model, so that is a trip down memory lane. The MSC is basically a big resistor, the neutral position is with the wiper in the middle, full travel to one side is full forward, and full travel to the other side is full reverse. It's a truly proportional speedo rather than the later 3 step MSCs, but they did have a tendency to burn out, hence the move in later models to the 3 step speed controllers.

Thanks for the info :)

I don’t know a lot about the vintage Sand Rover except to say that one you have there is a beauty. 
I like seeing it side by side with you DT02 reproduction.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I don’t know a lot about the vintage Sand Rover except to say that one you have there is a beauty. 
I like seeing it side by side with you DT02 reproduction.

Cheers

• Like 1

Took busdriver's advice to protect the tyres.  Also fitted a new battery box and have steering and movement of the msc wiper but have to wait for the charger to see if the battery will power the rear wheels.

IMG_5545.JPG

14 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Agree with @MadInventor 

Enjoy this for whatever reason you bought it 👍

Mine is new built + in box art - and I love it ! 

Cool, would love to see it.

Like I said, the paint is on the way, but I'm still in two minds.  Did you have an original that you have only just built?

I could preserve this one as it is and maybe find another complete one or just a bodyshell that's already painted and has decals.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't have bought it in the first place because it's "too nice" for me. I like to drive all my cars, and I wouldn't even want to power this one up because it's so pristine (and has been kept this way for so long, it would be a shame to break that streak!).

I'd love to have a vintage Sand Rover too, but it would probably have to be a beat up basket case with no collector value for me to really enjoy driving it without fear of breakage. I've even been considering the DT-02 version lately but I've got a lot of other cars to fix before I start buying more :ph34r:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Just my opinion but I wouldn't have bought it in the first place because it's "too nice" for me. I like to drive all my cars, and I wouldn't even want to power this one up because it's so pristine (and has been kept this way for so long, it would be a shame to break that streak!).

I'd love to have a vintage Sand Rover too, but it would probably have to be a beat up basket case with no collector value for me to really enjoy driving it without fear of breakage. I've even been considering the DT-02 version lately but I've got a lot of other cars to fix before I start buying more :ph34r:

I'd seen so many rough vintage Sand Rover's come up and so I was glad to see this one in such good condition.  I have, with help from others here, decided that I will not be selling it due to the 'like new' condition and therefore do not need to keep it white for some future collector to pay me loads of money.  With that decided, I then moved on to the fact that the white colour is not my preference and so when the TS-12 paint comes I am going to spray it and put the vintage decals on. 

I know some here will disagree and that's fine, I too, up till today was going to keep it white but as I'm going to hold onto it I might as well make it the way I will enjoy it most - orange with decals.  Its going to be a bit stressful doing it and I just hope I can do a good job.  I am always hyper-critical of the things I do and have a tendency to focus too much on an insignificant or tiny mistake that most wouldn't even notice, so this is going to be a challenge!

37 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

i feel this way with a lot of used vehicles , My metallic edition Midnight Pumpkin was “almost “ too nice to run . Fortunately it, came with a few scratches, I have given it a few more.
I also almost hesitated on a Kumamon tea fire because of the rarity , but that little cartoon needs to drive! He doesn’t mind the nick on his right ear , he just wears his farmer hat cocked off to one side.  

9 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

I know some here will disagree and that's fine, I too, up till today was going to keep it white but as I'm going to hold onto it I might as well make it the way I will enjoy it most - orange with decals

If you're going to go for painting, are you aware that Tamiya do a red oxide fine surface primer? - https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Fine-Primer-L-Oxide-Red-180ml

This stuff goes on very smooth and shouldn't need wet sanding, just a wash over with water and dishwashing liquid before adding your TS12. The red colour will make the orange look better (warmer) than putting it on top of white primer.

And then if it does get scratched you wont get the stark colour of white primer showing through.

A couple of clear coats on top of the TS12 will allow you to polish to a nice shine without rubbing away the colour. Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs. :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

If you're going to go for painting, are you aware that Tamiya do a red oxide fine surface primer? - https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Fine-Primer-L-Oxide-Red-180ml

This stuff goes on very smooth and shouldn't need wet sanding, just a wash over with water and dishwashing liquid before adding your TS12. The red colour will make the orange look better (warmer) than putting it on top of white primer.

And then if it does get scratched you wont get the stark colour of white primer showing through.

A couple of clear coats on top of the TS12 will allow you to polish to a nice shine without rubbing away the colour. Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs. :)

Thanks for the advice 🙂

Got the charger this morning, battery charging (hopefully).

I can't believe people with these batteries had to wait 14-16 hrs to run their r/c. Could have had several batteries I suppose for a longer run time.

I think the Tamiya blurb at the time for the sand rover and holiday buggy said 20 minutes of run time out of a battery, possibly helped by the lower power consumption of the 380 motor.

1 hour ago, wintersdawn said:

I can't believe people with these batteries had to wait 14-16 hrs to run their r/c.

You could get quick chargers that plugged into the cigar lighter socket in a car. They sounded like an egg-timer and took around half an hour to charge the battery.

It wasn't unusual to see people out with RC cars using a porter's trolley with a full-size car battery on it to charge their Ni-Cads.

Fun times! For whoever wasn't pushing the trolley. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1