wintersdawn

New Vintage Sand Rover Finished & Run - Updated on Page 2

3 hours ago, Fuijo said:

You could get quick chargers that plugged into the cigar lighter socket in a car. They sounded like an egg-timer and took around half an hour to charge the battery.

It wasn't unusual to see people out with RC cars using a porter's trolley with a full-size car battery on it to charge their Ni-Cads.

Fun times! For whoever wasn't pushing the trolley. :)

No chance, 14-16 hrs down to 30 minutes, you are mistaken and remembering some other type of battery/charger.  A charge rate that could charge this battery in 30 minutes would have resulted in a boiled/fried battery, maybe good for cooking eggs not charging batteries.

33 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

No chance, 14-16 hrs down to 30 minutes, you are mistaken and remembering some other type of battery/charger.  A charge rate that could charge this battery in 30 minutes would have resulted in a boiled/fried battery, maybe good for cooking eggs not charging batteries.

:lol: You're funny. I just used this the other night. It'll do a 1200mAh NiCd in about 20 minutes, and an 1800 in about 1/2 hour. You have to restart the timer manually once it returns to zero, in order to reach the appropriate charge times. The green on the meter is where you want to adjust the knob so you get a 4A(4000mA) charge rate. Otherwise it trickles at 50-150 mA. As with a NiMH peak charger, the batteries only get slightly warm to the touch (if at all).

15_min_quick_charger.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

:lol: You're funny. I just used this the other night. It'll do a 1200mAh NiCd in about 18 minutes, and an 1800 in about 1/2 hour. You have to restart the timer manually once it returns to zero, in order to reach the appropriate charge times. The green on the meter is where you want to adjust the knob so you get a 4A(4000mA) charge rate. Otherwise it trickles at 50-150 mA. As with a NiMH peak charger, the batteries only get slightly warm to the touch (if at all).

15_min_quick_charger.jpg

Cool, a lot quicker :)

I paint it, decal it and run it if that was my buggy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

I paint it, decal it and run it if that was my buggy. 

Thanks, yes my decision to paint, decal & occasionally run, probably only indoors.  So far done the front lights.

IMG_20210228_171348.jpg

• Like 1

It’s your buggy so enjoy yourself. I hope you ha r some big indoor areas to run it or you will be bashing into things. I know I do t have enough apace or skill to run indoors 

• Like 1

Because it was a TV prop & possibly never run, it is like new so in theory should have plenty of wear left but I'm aware of the potential for accidents whilst running & also whether the plastic parts have become brittle & more prone to breakage. Might have to start off slow, get used to its handling and maybe then be a bit more confident of running it.

I don’t suppose you could get an image of the back of the decals for me please? I think I have an original set but I want to be sure! Thanks!

35 minutes ago, keithmanx said:

I don’t suppose you could get an image of the back of the decals for me please? I think I have an original set but I want to be sure! Thanks!

IMG_20210305_173203.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished the inaugural run and got 20 minutes from the battery, which I think is comparable to the original estimated runtime.

Ran it on tarmac so just a bit of dust on the tyres, no accidents! So glad it's a runner now. Did some 'full-speed' (!) turns after getting used to it and it's very stable. Nice bit of suspension movement on and off a shallow curb. Tyres help to absorb shocks as they are quite soft.

It's resting now after probably not been run for over 40 years but will gently run it now and then. The motor got warm, not hot, even though I ran it at full speed quite alot, which I estimate to be about 10 mph from the 380 motor.

It's like it was just taken off a model shop shelf or just built in 1979 as it is as new and would have been something I would have loved to have had when I was a kid. I paid £350 in March in its unfinished form, not sure what I've done to the value by completing it but not really concerned as intend to keep it. All I had to replace was the 4 AA battery box and replace the elastic bands that hold the main battery and battery box in place.

It was a bit stressful spraying and decaling but I think I did a decent enough job and am happy with it. I used a fairly smooth primer before the TS-12 top coat. The primer was light grey so wondered if the orange came out a shade or two darker but think it gives it a nice retro look.

• Like 2

That looks really nice, just how I remember mine. Except mine was white.... 

I've noticed that the rear  wire bumper is angled up in the air from the fibreglass spring. I seem to remember mine being flat with just the angle up at the end, mine got bent up like yours after I reversed it into something. You might want to flatten it back out so it looks 'out of the box'. On the other hand it could be considered part of the history of it so leave it as is.  Tamiyabase have a picture of one, which is how I remember mine 58024 - Tamiya model database - TamiyaBase.com

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

That looks really nice, just how I remember mine. Except mine was white.... 

I've noticed that the rear  wire bumper is angled up in the air from the fibreglass spring. I seem to remember mine being flat with just the angle up at the end, mine got bent up like yours after I reversed it into something. You might want to flatten it back out so it looks 'out of the box'. On the other hand it could be considered part of the history of it so leave it as is.  Tamiyabase have a picture of one, which is how I remember mine 58024 - Tamiya model database - TamiyaBase.com

Thanks for the info, hadn't realised. Will probably leave it as I'm used to it and not confident about bending it back down in case I damage/break something.