bavee

bavee's project thread

On 9/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, bavee said:

At the moment we are enjoying some nice weather. Could be the last warm days of the season so I painted two bodies last week. Not my most favorite job...

First a Mad Fighter. That was easy. Then The Frog. My first lexan body. Masking alone took me three evenings in a row. Painting took me one whole afternoon.

Paint_01k.jpg.11d89e05b532e45b7184f34242645848.jpg

Paint_02ks.jpg.f8d0ef5d69cdb5c01f8cef67b2e3dc53.jpg

Some mistakes were made. Some lessons were learned. But all in all I am pretty pleased with the result. This is supposed to be a hobby after all?

I have two kits lined up for fall / winter now. And the painting is already done.

16 months later...

1674420090758.jpg.38909f905da4c69a9e4bbc86c7d2b1e7.jpg

Until now The Frog really isn't my cup of tea. Such a strange chassis... I always thought I also wanted a Blackfoot but I don't know with this chassis.

I hope I will soon find out if it gets any better with the completed body on top of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bavee said:

16 months later...

Lol, the story of many an RC project😂

On 1/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, bavee said:

1673553795610.jpg.1282b8776837362de4cdb20513cc46c0.jpg

They are back together and almost ready to sell! Little cleaning left.

Sold both of them for a fair price. Packed them tonight and plan to ship them tomorrow.

First RC's I sold since I started this hobby. Bit sad to see them go. But they provided pleasure, I learned a bit about them and we have our sights set on getting the Monster Racer and the Madcap in running condition now.

So. It is good they found a new home.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 9:44 PM, bavee said:

My wife won't let me buy a new kit before I finish The Frog :blink:.

No. That is BS. I don't like myself when I lose interest. So I will get to it. After the Stadium Blitzer.

It is finished!!!

1675111715578.jpg.027fef014408840d1bb038989170738c.jpg

1675111633309.jpg.8f969f91218cbb0aaaaf18443c23fc76.jpg

1675110925985.jpg.a53b4079aa0f08fbf3d490741363658b.jpg

This is my Frog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This takes me back!. Not as much as Black Foot & The Grasshopper but way up there among our beloved RC Seniors

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bavee said:

It is finished!!!

1675111715578.jpg.027fef014408840d1bb038989170738c.jpg

This is my Frog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is for fighting, this is for fun..... 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:25 PM, bavee said:

Don't worry, some stuff is already on its way. They don't count :ph34r:.

But after that it's done.

And, as you may have seen already, some of it arrived yesterday.

1675196296290.jpg.235676c0e886b197c66a8e3920ca0777.jpg

The Monster Racer will be used as a donor car so I can fix some issues on our runner Monster Racer and we have some, probably much needed, spares.

The Madcap will be restored to running condition to accompany the Monster Racer on our outings. This is what lives underneath the body at the moment.

1675284469259.jpg.2d350a1da28e1cc70df866c29d17e90d.jpg

Thanks to @Kol__ I now know that the shocks are from a Super Astute 2008. And look at those front tires. No cracks. They look brand new!

• Like 3

The goal is to run the Monster Racer with @ThunderDragonCy and @Sgt.Speirs TRF201 Transmission Conversion. All parts arrived last month. Thanks again!

1675286422166.jpg.b1540fca1ff2cca40cbf662e08ec3003.jpg

For the Madcap the goal is to get it running with the, more or less original, ball diff. I hope this will work because its wheels are smaller compared to the Monster Racer and a silver can is fast enough for us.

Will use new internals and the metal motor mount from the Monster Racer parts bin. Also @Muso31 diff housings if available. Some other goodies from him already arrived.

1675286384453.jpg.f201c5b3ed248503dc75c1cf88773ca1.jpg

The wing is needed because the Madcap wing is cracked and the decal is also not correct.

Last but not least this has arrived.

1675286384118.jpg.db5c7ba3808a729d4db82413007270c6.jpg

1675286384341.jpg.5af8c491c6976e24210e7a4182d98a20.jpg

It is not complete. The seller stated a reseller had used it for parts. It is missing a lot of the screw bags, the rear tires and the wing amongst other things. But a lot is there. Including a decal sheet I forgot to get out of the box. And a pair of brand new front tires.

So. I think I am done for the next month or so.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bavee said:

1675286384118.jpg.db5c7ba3808a729d4db82413007270c6.jpg

1675286384341.jpg.5af8c491c6976e24210e7a4182d98a20.jpg

Oh mate! What a score, nicely done😎 Are you planning to build an NIB one for the shelf from this? I have a small selection of original hardware somewhere, so give me a shout if there's anything specific that you need bud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bavee

9 hours ago, bavee said:

The goal is to run the Monster Racer with @ThunderDragonCy and @Sgt.Speirs TRF201 Transmission Conversion. All parts arrived last month. Thanks again!

Your welcome! If you need any help, advice,... with the assemby, let me know.

9 hours ago, bavee said:

And a pair of brand new front tires.

Are these front tires not also traded like pure gold? ;) 
Like the rear tires of the Hilux Monster Racer / King Cab?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Oh mate! What a score, nicely done😎 Are you planning to build an NIB one for the shelf from this? I have a small selection of original hardware somewhere, so give me a shout if there's anything specific that you need bud.

Thanks! Have been thinking about building both a runner and a shelfer. But although most of the plastics are there a lof of the steel parts are not. And buying all the screws etc. as individual items would set me back a couple of hundred euro's. I'm not willing to invest that much extra money in a Madcap shelfer. Not least because I'm going to set a limit to the number of cars we own.

So my plan is to build a hybrid. One car. With a battered body and wheels when it is running and a new body and wheels when it is on the shelf. I will only run it lightly in dry weather so it probably will sit on the shelf from October until April.

Thinking about doing the same with the Monster Racer. But need to find a new body :ph34r:. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Your welcome! If you need any help, advice,... with the assemby, let me know.

Are these front tires not also traded like pure gold? ;) 
Like the rear tires of the Hilux Monster Racer / King Cab?

Thanks. Will drop questions in the TRF201 Transmission Conversion thread if needed.

Indeed, have seen these tires go for crazy money on Ebay. I now have a pair that has always been stored in a box and wrapped in plastic. They are really brand new and I think I am going to use those for when our Madcap is on shelf duty. And I have a pair that came on the build car. They look really good. Almost brand new. No cracks but not as supple as the other pair. So I'm not sure what to do with them. I think it wouldn't feel good to run them and I'm thinking about running the Madcap with Grasshopper II tires.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

TGB do a re-pop body if that’s any use to you for a spare body??

https://teambluegroove.com/products/tbg-toyota-prerunner-hilux-hi-lux-monster-body-tamiya-monster-racer

Thanks. I do have a NOS original decal sheet so I would really prefer an original body too...

Maybe I'm going to try to strip the paint from one of the used bodies I have. But I'm a bit scared to damage the body in the process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bavee said:

…thinking about running the Madcap with Grasshopper II tires.

…or the rib-spike tires from the Dyna Storm, Super Astute,…

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

…or the rib-spike tires from the Dyna Storm, Super Astute,…

They are a different size if I'm correct and I'm planning on using the original wheels. Doesn't leave much choice.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

@bavee I can double-check this evening. Both, Dyna Storm and Grasshopper II, are parts of my car collection :) 

I can confirm that the Madcap/Saint Dragon/Bear Hawk front wheels are significantly smaller and the Super Astute/Dyne Storm front tyres are too large unfortunately. The only viable options are to run GH2 front tyres as you suggest @bavee (possibly some other tyres will fit, such as Wild One tyres) or switch out to the 60mm front Star Dish type wheels which will enable you to run a variety of different front tyres. But yeah, you lose the originality there by not running the OG wheels.

I run some 60mm/2.2" Schumacher pin spikes on my Madcap/Astute mongrel on a set of yellow Star Dish wheels and they have a real look of the OG Madcap tyres about them.

yM4a0MV.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bavee said:

So my plan is to build a hybrid. One car. With a battered body and wheels when it is running and a new body and wheels when it is on the shelf. I will only run it lightly in dry weather so it probably will sit on the shelf from October until April.

OMG @bavee, don't run it mate! These kits are so rare, I've one seen one complete for sale (for like £600-700) in the past 18months and one incomplete kit. Of course bud, it's yours so do as you wish, but a new chassis is particularly rare, so I really wouldn't run it if avoidable, as you have a runner anyway I mean.

4 hours ago, bavee said:

And I have a pair that came on the build car. They look really good. Almost brand new. No cracks but not as supple as the other pair. So I'm not sure what to do with them. I think it wouldn't feel good to run them and I'm thinking about running the Madcap with Grasshopper II tires

Oh yes, I wouldn't run those tyres either, a new pair is £90-100 and a used pair with glue damage sold for £42 on eBay UK this week.

These Madcap parts in new condition are very rare and imo should be cherished if possible. Then again I'm a bit of a Madcap nut, its become my speciality😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

yM4a0MV.jpeg

Such a beautiful car!

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

OMG @bavee, don't run it mate! These kits are so rare, I've one seen one complete for sale (for like £600-700) in the past 18months and one incomplete kit. Of course bud, it's yours so do as you wish, but a new chassis is particularly rare, so I really wouldn't run it if avoidable, as you have a runner anyway I mean.

Oh yes, I wouldn't run those tyres either, a new pair is £90-100 and a used pair with glue damage sold for £42 on eBay UK this week.

These Madcap parts in new condition are very rare and imo should be cherished if possible. Then again I'm a bit of a Madcap nut, its become my speciality😂

But... I mean... It is not complete huh. Missing lots of bits and bobs. I think it could easily cost me another € 200,00 maybe € 300,00 to turn it into a complete car...

And then shelf it? But then I will always know that it is not a completely NIB build. With a repro wing. Because finding a new wing will be near impossible i think.

Now I feel almost ashamed to further break it up (I already feel al little bit ashamed for my plan to use the Monster Racer as a donor car). :ph34r: Should I sell it to someone that wants to preserve it?

Or should I build a runner Monster Racer and Madcap and then drive them like they are stolen knowing that I probably have the spares to repair them when something breaks?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for reading my rambling. The above is going on in my head right now (and already has been going on for a couple of days/weeks ;)).

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to buy a complete used vintage Saint Dragon a couple of weeks ago. For cheap. That would have solved al my "problems" :D.

1675350375492.thumb.jpg.0fb04070b1101996657d45650daaf832.jpg

1675350413558.thumb.jpg.0875797cfca8aa8c9d2d6e8ef1d4de6c.jpg

1675350375437.thumb.jpg.7d883fd8afa0550bf4a1c1573fd9bfae.jpg

1675350375276.thumb.jpg.66453635ca098ffc6ab809c24bc57ae2.jpg

Here it is.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bavee said:

With a repro wing. Because finding a new wing will be near impossible i think.

Never say never again. Just keep your eyes open for the parts. That's what I did with my Monster Racer with the rims, front tires, rear tires and now the body set of a King Cab. Step by step ;) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bavee said:

But... I mean... It is not complete huh. Missing lots of bits and bobs. I think it could easily cost me another € 200,00 maybe € 300,00 to turn it into a complete car...

And then shelf it? But then I will always know that it is not a completely NIB build. With a repro wing. Because finding a new wing will be near impossible i think.

The hardware is pretty straight forward, mostly shared amongst other kits, so it is findable. There are a few screws that are this model only, which I might have some of. And there are some that are shared with the King Cab. You look to have most parts there, so I wouldn't think you'll need to spend a fortune. The only parts I think I can see that you don't have are the gearbox drive cups, and they are quite rare. I know a few places to source some of the parts, if you decide to go ahead and build it, let me know mate.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Never say never again. Just keep your eyes open for the parts. That's what I did with my Monster Racer with the rims, front tires, rear tires and now the body set of a King Cab. Step by step ;) 

Totally agree, this is sound advice from my good friend here. Plus there is the thrill of the hunt, and you will find the parts eventually. Sometimes, to acquire a particularly rare part you have to buy more than needed to get the part and then sell on the rest to end up having paid a fair amount, or sometimes nothing, for the part you needed🙂

6 hours ago, bavee said:

Thanks for reading my rambling

No such thing on here bud, most of us have these kinds of thoughts going round our heads 24/7😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

yM4a0MV.jpeg

That thing is the reason that when I do take on a resto project it'll probably be a Madcap! 

• Like 1