Mechanic AH

Is doing non box art blasphemy?

9 hours ago, Snakehands said:

Some boxart is really boring, the 911 GT1 Street for example.

tamiya-47443-porsche-911-gt1-street-ta03r-s-kit_2.jpg

160614331_10157655714650919_9052513970015410829_n.jpg

I don’t mind the box art version, though I’d probably go with some sort of candy or pearl.  I couldn’t do the Rothmans graphics though, they just look hideous to me.

6 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

I couldn’t do the Rothmans graphics though, they just look hideous to me.

Hideous? 

3 hours ago, Snakehands said:

Hideous? 

Yeah, I just find it ugly.

10 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

I don’t mind the box art version, though I’d probably go with some sort of candy or pearl.  I couldn’t do the Rothmans graphics though, they just look hideous to me.

boxart porsche is not my thing, purple look a lot better 49792389366_ba123bb766_k.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BJoe76 said:

Yeah, I just find it ugly.

Well, thanks for your critique. Personally, I keep negative comments like that to myself. 

B040A5F5-A95F-483E-9ED1-67D8A4E7D94C.jpeg

2AB77A7C-382B-4167-8126-B54F5CE7229A.jpeg

@snakehands I don't think so either, the work is amazing on the 911 and the wheels on it look really good!

Personally not really a box art fan and much prefer to do my thing, however it actually ends up, although I have a dilemma with a Ferrari 599X in that really it should be red of some form, but I quite like the colour of the TDF F12.

If I can figure out a red that's slightly different I'll go with that, it's on a TA06 so I don't think like the 911 it will get much running until the summer, I'm quite nervous of the belts on them both.

My totally non box art selection!

DSC_0288.JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Problemchild said:

@Snakehands I don’t think it was a response to your work, just in general.

i like the Rothmans scheme 

JJ

This, I don’t have a problem with the work, I’m just not a fan of that paint scheme. Also not a fan of the different Grey colors that have come to the 1:1 automotive market either, they all look to me like the paint people got lazy and just decided to offer clear coated primer and a ton of people fell for it.....

• Like 1

Really, as long as it's well done, it's going to look really good in person. "Ugly" boxart or boring colors look like models when done to a high standard. The first Jagermeister 911 is saw fooled me into thinking it was a diecast, then I assumed that it was a hard body!

A really nicely finished one color wonder looks far better than a poorly done multicolor airbrush job.

• Like 1

I usually do the box art and then if I really like the kit, I would get another one to do in a different theme.   I have a thing with M38 Wild Willy's and own several of them in different themes.  This is a new build I did late last year in new condition although near 40 years old.

F67C8300-E47C-4D1C-955D-C10D056BA67F.thumb.jpeg.5e8ba41f1a268c7f47b41708274b468d.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello,

I love non box art, as much as I do love box art stuff... Generally I do mine non box art, at very few exceptions...

I restarted back R/C this year, and did build already a few cars either alone, either with my kids (a son, 13y, and a daughter, 11y).

Here is few non box art pics:

Tamiya DT03, two Racing Fighters, one Neo FIghter - none is box art

jCpeSp3.jpg?1 

Kyosho Turbo Scorpion - non box art 

QK0gmJv.jpg

Tamiya Hornet - non box art again (only one sticker used)

xc4JA2w.jpg

Super Storm Dragon (this is my son's work, not exactly mine) - non box art again

8dQ0MPP.jpg

Tamiya Lunchbox - non box art again, but it is Lexan body; the hard body included in the black edition kit will be definitely box art but dedicated to the shelves... The color was chosen by my daughter, and someone on another forum called it "Barbapapa", which is exactly what generated the idea for the decoration... And my daughter likes it.

uA9aENV.jpg

hZ72hDx.jpg

1GcwXJ1.jpg

Pth7hl4.jpg

The only kit where I did a box art like was a Mini Lunchbox... But a second body will get something different.

Ultimately, there is always ways to do something different, and If I wanted to do pure box art, I would buy a RTR kit... So, calling this a blasphemy would just not sound right. Box art is only a guideline for inspiration. We can all do so much to make them our own cars...

A+

Marc

• Like 3

I never do box art.

I remember that moment when I was a kid, eyeing some plastic model car and thinking "neat car, but the decals look.dumb..." and then it dawned on me "if the decals look dumb, you don't have to put them on..." *💡*

This is my mindset:

If it's vintage, and a model one would have a strong connection to, then it would most probably be boxart. 

If it is a rerelease or contemporary, or a vintage model you didn't hanker for up on the top shelf of a model shop back in the day, but your paper round money couldn't afford, then paint it any which way you desire.

Even then, some models are really difficult to see outside of boxart... it's almost like Tamiya nailed it with the colour, and no other colour looks better.

The best thing is, you paid for it, your imagination is king. Do what you like.

I find the box art of the Super Hotshot slightly boring...

Had to reinterpret it on my own way with translucent red, gold and black. White elements are vinyl stickers...

0DhN64h.jpg

• Like 2

I like that box art is iconic, so used it on some less iconic cars. 

The Mazda is non box art though. 

384440B9-A0EB-4A5A-9AED-1A2649A127A0.jpeg

I think it depends on the car/buggy/truck some just look better box art although it's all in the eye of the beholder? Example is I've seen a few good colour schemes on the egress but it just looks so right in silver IMO? and the likes of the hotshot/super shot can look with you own imagination! I did my expensive over priced super hotshot in tamiya gold but I have no idea what I did but it come out nothing like the colour on the lid??

20210328_135901.jpg

• Like 2

i have a hard time to actually do box art because i already have a paint scheme in mind for any build. the RTR slash body i have has some stickers removed and some other additions added for the LOLs. the TD will be box art but no others will be box art scheme. some will be custom and others would be alternate manufacture color options. the RX7 FD3S will be black, the Sileighty blue, the skyline R33 is wine red the rest are custom paint scheme ideas.

Often depends on both my willingness to go purchase new paint and the options in my current paint supply. If I find one that will likely look good in my cupboard of half used Tamiya paint cans, then ta-heck with the box art.