Exit13

What motor will wake up this buggy

I’m super excited about my new to me car. It’s fun as can be but it’s noticeably really slow.  What motor do you guys think will wake up this buggy?  Surprisingly it came with a torque tuned but it’s still so slow. My Audi has the torque tune now and is quick as I need. 
04zHp7F.jpg

I know goofy buggies are not meant to go fast but my LB with 80’s “twisters” motor is scary fast on the pavement. Thanks what I want for my Honda City Turbo. open to any suggestions. Thanks. 

• Like 1

If you want to stick with a brushed motor go to a lower turn motor; 15t HPI Firebolt, 17t Reedy Radon, etc.  Or go with a brushless system if you really want it to fly.  Not familiar with that vehicle, but going to a larger pinion (if the desing allows) will get you some more speed as well.

I think 20T is the biggest it was meant to take and it has that installed already so I’ll try one of those motors. Thanks 

No problem.  Anything 17t or lower should wake it up pretty good.  I like the Reedy Radon 15-17t 3-slot motors, they should get that little Honda moving pretty good and they're cheap.

Might be something else wrong with the car? If the same motor isn't performing the same way. Any binding in the gearbox? Does it have ESC or MSC?

26 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Might be something else wrong with the car? If the same motor isn't performing the same way. Any binding in the gearbox? Does it have ESC or MSC?

It’s got a Tamiya ESC. It was a shelf queen in its previous life. Today was its first run ever. I even popped in a hobby wing 1060 just to rule out a problem with the ESC. it was just as slow with the 1060. 

10 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

It’s got a Tamiya ESC. It was a shelf queen in its previous life. Today was its first run ever. I even popped in a hobby wing 1060 just to rule out a problem with the ESC. it was just as slow with the 1060. 

Ooh, if it was a shelf queen perhaps the motor brushes have never been properly broken in...

12 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Ooh, if it was a shelf queen perhaps the motor brushes have never been properly broken in...

How do I brake it in?  Just run it?

4 minutes ago, Exit13 said:

How do I brake it in?  Just run it?

Run it on the bench at a constant low voltage (3-6V) until you hear the RPMs start to increase, then leave it there for a minute or two longer after they level out. Might take 5mins, might take 1/2 an hour. Make sure to lube the armature bushings first!

• Like 1

If it was a shelfer did u check to make sure all the gears were lubed properly? Bearings? 

48 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

If it was a shelfer did u check to make sure all the gears were lubed properly? Bearings? 

Yeah. I pulled the gear box apart this AM.  It has some lubricant but not up to my standard. I also noticed no bearings. So that will have to come later but it’s well greased now. And still slow. 

I had in my lunchbox a 3300kv brushless motor with 3s on a 19T hornet pinion.

I recommend such for all those comical releases :D

Well I’d say just check what pinion is in there. Tooth count will def make a difference. Fully charged battery? End points on throttle? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Yeah. I pulled the gear box apart this AM.  It has some lubricant but not up to my standard. I also noticed no bearings. So that will have to come later but it’s well greased now. And still slow. 

I fully agree with @El Gecko and @Finnsllc and their recommendations. The only thing I would add is that it looks pretty cold where you are at the moment, and if you have 30+ year old plastic bushings in there instead of ball races they might be causing a few issues too. They'll be quite brittle now compared to how they were when new and combined with the cold they might be binding and slowing up things. 

• Like 1

Hey one more question, any way to get a higher pinion on this buggy?  The motor hole Choices only say 18 or 20?

Unintentionally, Honda Civic Turbo was released as a slow vehicle. 

That's because WR02 wasn't designed for small tires.  It was designed for big tires of Wild Dagger and Wild Willy 2.  At least, the 20 teeth pinion gear is better than Wild Willy's 18t.  But about 16:1 gear ratio is too torquey and slow. It would run fine even if the gear ratio was 7:1. But that's not possible. As you know already, the only option is to go with a faster motor.  

Bearings should be the first to be upgraded (in my opinion). But even if you gain (the mandatory) 10% higher top speed, it's not going to improve much when your speed is down to half.  If you want to stick with a brushed motor, I'd recommend Super Stock motors.  Because of low gear ratio, BZ, RZ, TZ, won't matter. Any one of 3 models of Super Stock motors would do. Just get the cheapest one.  Or you could go with something like 17t motors or lower. (Cheap Chinese motors use thin wires. So their 17t motors work more like 23t motors.) 

If you want to get the brushless motor, and if you have TBLE02S ESC, you can get a 13.5t motor.  That's the limit for that ESC. Few people do have a problem in hot weather in taller gears. But 16:1 is seriously low, so I doubt that it would thermal out.  

In either case, you'd be running over 27,000 RPM (as opposed to 16,000 of Torque Tuned).  You'd probably want bearings.  Plastic bushings are not designed for that kind of RPM.  Bushings sapping 10% of 16,000 RPM of Torque tuned would get you down to 14,400 (about the silver can).  But sapping 10% off of 27,000 RPM gets you down to 24,300.  It's a substantial penalty. I think WR02 chassis require sixteen 1150 bearings?  That's the most common bearings.  You can search for "5x11x4mm bearings."  

You can get 20 bearings (MR115) for about $8.  It will take weeks to deliver from China, though. (but often Amazon sellers are located in China too)   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-MR105-2RS-MR115-2RS-Ball-Bearing-Miniature-Double-shield-5x10x4mm-5x11x4mm/324039311717?hash=item4b723f8165:g:LoQAAOSwoXRZkgeV

P.S. If you get a fancy brushed motor, you can connect it before installing it.  Use the trim to run it at slow speed for 20 minutes or so. Lubricate the axles. (No need to break in brushless motors because there is no brush to break in)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, Juggular said:

double post :P

Well the above info make the most sense to me why this car is so slow. I did but this motor into it 

ReYwY3I.jpg

and I’m saying Whoop -Whoop. It’s pretty quick now. I had to turn the steering way down because if you think it flipped before this is rolling over big time now. The plastics are getting less pretty

a54TYRP.jpg

bearings are still on order  and so it is a 15T motor  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, simalarion said:

@Exit13 - Cool Dumpster you got there to, is it Tamiya?

The yellow equipment in the background?  If so that’s 1:1 snow removal equipment. Not mine 

Hehe Yeah looked like a 1/10 scale Loader  for some seconds (think thats the correct name for it, not Dumpster truck ofc)