Killajb

What is the WORST Tamiya decal/box art scheme?

I just finished a Tamiya Agrios and before even opening the box, I had already made up my mind to forgo the box art look.  Mind you, this is strictly my opinion.. but I didn't care for the color scheme or the graphics at all.  It has to be one of the worst looking themes as well.  The thought of cutting all those pesky detailed lines was even more frustrating. I'll save the decal set to hack up for something else later I suppose.  In contrast, a Rothman's Racing Porsche 959 decal set seems well worth the effort (and I wish I had one to attempt to build).   I consider the appearance of the finished product as well as the difficulty of cutting the decals into this ranking.

So with that in mind, what are some of the worst Tamiya box art themes in your opinion?

AgriosStock.jpg

Agrios1.jpg

• Like 1

To me, it’s the current, standard edition SuperClod, not crazy about the 8-Bit graphics on the Black Edition, but at least it’s an improvement.

Agree the Agrios is rather bad, though its im going to assume, going for that 90s Monster Truck look, so i guess if you fan of monster trucks it might do something for you - much like Super Clod Buster; though that is at least more appealing and more real world monster truck looking

You can probaly look at this from, or break into, multiple categories:

1) Those where the design works, but perhaps its just the color scheme that lets it down

The Fox, Bearhawk and Topforce come to mind

2) Those where the design is too reliant on decals

The Fox again could fall into this, that large silver on the front/bonnet just doesnt need to be there in my opinion.

Plasma Edge, Neo Falcon, any of the monster or semi-monster truck styles; Aqroshot

3) Those where the design is just lacking in general, and is overall boring

The Vanquish/VQS

But overall, id have to say the Super Astute.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Killajb said:

I just finished a Tamiya Agrios and before even opening the box, I had already made up my mind to forgo the box art look.  Mind you, this is strictly my opinion.. but I didn't care for the color scheme or the graphics at all.  It has to be one of the worst looking themes as well.  The thought of cutting all those pesky detailed lines was even more frustrating. I'll save the decal set to hack up for something else later I suppose.  In contrast, a Rothman's Racing Porsche 959 decal set seems well worth the effort (and I wish I had one to attempt to build).   I consider the appearance of the finished product as well as the difficulty of cutting the decals into this ranking.

So with that in mind, what are some of the worst Tamiya box art themes in your opinion?

AgriosStock.jpg

Agrios1.jpg

I completely agree with you on this. When I was trying to think of the worst box art on any Tamiya I was thinking about this video I saw on RC kicks with the clod and yes the Agrioes !  The worst. You did good. I’m glad you didn’t do box art. 

The Agrios looks like it's trying to be something from Traxxas. Traxxas colour schemes are ... unique. That's about the nicest thing I can say about them. Really not my style.

I can't say I have seen every Tamiya colour scheme but most are pretty good. I'm not a fan of the Kong Head or the Clod Buster style. Thats just me though, I'm sure they are quite popular.

I'm not a fan of the style of Traxxas, it's all to e x t r e e e e e m e for me, and they all end up looking like shoes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the agrios one! (Has a character on the side)

Not so keen on the txt-1, bit boring.....(just the name, hardly any sponsors etc)

Worst is zahhak (no driver, dark windows, doesn't complement the body shape)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taffer said:

Had striken this from memory until now. And dont get me started on blacked out window decals, on any body: buggy, truggie or touring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taffer said:

@Problemchild did a great job with the Zahhak, by tweaking the body and wing color to light  gray. Looks much better than the pure white. It’s in the non box-art thread. 

Me personally, I struggle with the yellow-damper buggies where the body doesn’t coordinate with the dampers. The Manta Ray and the Falcon come to mind. In contrast, the Bigwig does a better job integrating the shock color. Even though it’s a polarizing body style, it just looks better to my eyes. 

• Like 1

@Killajb Hehe for me that artwork was not meant to be stylish or tastefull, its just the opposite, pure untastefull testosteron explosion (He-Man Master of the Universe comes to my mind), and i Love it!. 

Sure if you want to sit down and be fancy about it you can pretty much put your finger on everything here hehe

Edit: Oh, for me the worst is monster Beetle Trail original colours art, looks s bit to much Toyish for me, the chrome and bright yellow at the back does not help (some Tamiya kits are meant to look childish and fun and thats ok ofc, but not sure what the goal was with Monster Beetle Trail):spacer.png

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Asterion XV01T. Its like a satanic heavy metal band logo in my opinion. :/

I did mine box-art - Chevy S10 box-art! Much better fit!

4A4B3B3B-1F7A-4608-B2A5-C801FB430157.jpg

• Like 3

The Super Astute is UGLY. I did mine in black with red and yellow MCI decals. Much better.

Agrios, Konghead, and Zahak are all pretty nasty, too. Blackfoot Extreme has such a nice body spoiled by gross graphics.

The Top Force is sexy.

The Dark Impact is grim, as is the Zahhak

But for me Jeff, the worst box art scheme is the Top Force, purely because of how gorgeous it CAN look. 

That slab of green doesn’t work, but as soon as it’s in a different colour scheme eg the Evo, it’s a beauty 

But then I also think the Super Astute is proper lush, so....

13 hours ago, Ryz82 said:

Agree the Agrios is rather bad, though its im going to assume, going for that 90s Monster Truck look, so i guess if you fan of monster trucks it might do something for you - much like Super Clod Buster; though that is at least more appealing and more real world monster truck looking

You can probaly look at this from, or break into, multiple categories:

1) Those where the design works, but perhaps its just the color scheme that lets it down

The Fox, Bearhawk and Topforce come to mind

2) Those where the design is too reliant on decals

The Fox again could fall into this, that large silver on the front/bonnet just doesnt need to be there in my opinion.

Plasma Edge, Neo Falcon, any of the monster or semi-monster truck styles; Aqroshot

3) Those where the design is just lacking in general, and is overall boring

The Vanquish/VQS

But overall, id have to say the Super Astute.

Fox, Vanquish, Super Astute? Alltime Tamiya classics, perfect designs, box arts and graphics for me...

:o

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I did mine box-art - Chevy S10 box-art! Much better fit!

4A4B3B3B-1F7A-4608-B2A5-C801FB430157.jpg

I agree. Changed the blue to cherry red and got the decals altered by MCI 

FB9ADF29-BA50-42D9-A58D-6A42D9F8476F.jpeg.f6a909a7c5321e91e8706c9428d339a2.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, simalarion said:

@Big Jon - This 80’s «Flashdance» Classic is gorgeous! 😀spacer.png

So much neon! I need my Oakley Blades to look at it!

Maybe it's the time capsule looks that I dislike. It reminds me of neon everything from that time period. From wiper blades to socks, everything was neon. I had neon green shorts! I don't remember disliking the stock scheme BITD, but jeez, it hurts my eyes now. 

That said, one of my RC10s had all of the white plastics dyed neon pink, including the ball cups, and a blue and pink body. I thought that it looked awesome. That was a really weird time, man.

• Haha 1

The super astute box art is really good but then I like all the white box arts the buggy itself is not one of my favourites because of the decals so I'm waiting for some MCI decals to turn up for my super astute! The hotshot 2 was a strange one in silver! Does anyone know why tamiya decided to do that in silver? It's a bit random!

6 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Fox, Vanquish, Super Astute? Alltime Tamiya classics, perfect designs, box arts and graphics for me...

Haha, happy i could tick them off the list for you :)

Fox good design, just dont agree with blue/silver color scheme; a Fox is not aquatic, give me some gold, yellow, orange etc heck even white.

Vanquish/VQS just bland looking, great body lines though; needs to be metalic however.

Super Astuate, at leats im not alone based on a few other posts.

9 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Asterion XV01T. Its like a satanic heavy metal band logo in my opinion. :/

Thats why i turned mine into a rally converison haha.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, simalarion said:

@Killajb Hehe for me that artwork was not meant to be stylish or tastefull, its just the opposite, pure untastefull testosteron explosion (He-Man Master of the Universe comes to my mind), and i Love it!. 

Sure if you want to sit down and be fancy about it you can pretty much put your finger on everything here hehe

Edit: Oh, for me the worst is monster Beetle Trail original colours art, looks s bit to much Toyish for me, the chrome and bright yellow at the back does not help (some Tamiya kits are meant to look childish and fun and thats ok ofc, but not sure what the goal was with Monster Beetle Trail):spacer.png

I’m not sure what the goal on the MB Tr was either. The body wasn’t much of a match for the original Monster Beetle, the portals on a vehicle that was intended to wheelie didn’t make much sense either, though it was a good donor for my MF-01x, since I put the portals on that instead though!