Sign in to follow this  
Old Falcon Lad ll

Hotshot 2 front drive shaft Q

Morning all

My son took my old Hotshot 2 for a spin yesterday and its come back missing one front drive shaft. Can someone direct me to the replacement part please, hoping these are easier to source that the original Hotshot ones! Think they might be the same as the Boomerang?

And is there a way of using cable ties to hold them in place to stop this happening again?

Much obliged. P. 

Diveshafts normally only fall out when something else is broken or badly worn.

I think I still have some new vintage spares but will need to check.

Are you in the UK ?

Don't know if the vintage & re-re driveshafts are interchangeable.

What length is the driveshaft you still have ?

Have you found anything else worn or broken which would have allowed the driveshaft to pop out ?

I am in the middle of bringing back a Vintage Boomer. I bought re-re inner and outer cups with the driveshafts you posted. 

When the suspension is fully drooped... the one side binds. I believe this is common issue with the new driveshafts.

After reading up for a quick fix I ordered re-re Hotshot front driveshafts as they are supposed to be slightly shorter (9808128)

Also... keep in mind I have vintage gear cases. 

Will report back once the new shafts come. 

27 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Don't know if the vintage & re-re driveshafts are interchangeable.

What length is the driveshaft you still have ?

Have you found anything else worn or broken which would have allowed the driveshaft to pop out ?

Thanks, other one is in the car for now, will report details when I can extract it. On first glance no, uprights look intact.

25 minutes ago, DPR250R said:

I am in the middle of bringing back a Vintage Boomer. I bought re-re inner and outer cups with the driveshafts you posted. 

When the suspension is fully drooped... the one side binds. I believe this is common issue with the new driveshafts.

After reading up for a quick fix I ordered re-re Hotshot front driveshafts as they are supposed to be slightly shorter (9808128)

Also... keep in mind I have vintage gear cases. 

Will report back once the new shafts come. 

Brill thanks, advice would be appreciated. 

On 2/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, Old Falcon Lad ll said:

Brill thanks, advice would be appreciated. 

Just got a chance to do a bench test.  No more binding. The 9808128 shafts are a tad shorter then the  9805551 shafts. Seem to be just enough. I do not know if you need the re-re cups as well? 

Once again... the setup is a vintage Boomerang chassis, gear cases with the re-re parts in the links below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Hot-Shot-Super-Hotshot-Bigwig-Levant-9808128-19808128-Front-Drive-Shafts/293789621182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-SUPERSHOT-Axles-Bearings-HOTSHOT-BOOMERANG-SUPER-TP2/132417181670?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-SUPERSHOT-Joint-Propeller-Shafts-Pinion-Gear-HOTSHOT-SUPER-TP9/312014122000?hash=item48a57dac10:g:UX8AAOSwIJlaH79w

On 3/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, DPR250R said:

Thanks, by way of an update I may have found a solution. Pulled out the remaining front shaft from my HS2 and measured it - 76mm. Not sure this is correct as looking at the ones I have in my super sabre they are 77mm (77.3 I think), so maybe the previous owner put shorter shafts in hence the fall out?

Work around for now, I have 2 spare original HS1 rear shafts (77mm) which seems to fit. Any reason these won't work? Re re shafts may need new drive cups I'm told to work with the HS2. 

Cheers, P.