Problemchild

Monster Beetle - Fixing hard bodies

My beetle is proper fast and the shell is taking a massive beating (especially the rear end as it wheelies too easy)

mLzW80E.jpg

there is no point me getting a replacement as a new one will end up in the same condition in minutes 

so apart from some trimming and tidying - I’m after some advice on how to repair and repair so it’s strong 

JJ

Doesn't look too bad - should polish out with T-Cut...

Seriously - glue some styrene scrap to the inside to reinforce any cracked areas - won't win any prizes for looks but will hold the body together which is all you want. 

• Haha 2

Yes , I agree . reinforce with plastic , I use Gorilla glue for this sort of caper , you could back it all up when set with epoxy resin . You could fashion thin alu plates and glue / screw it onto the affected areas ( most of the shell !! ;)  )

This went from busted to #46

SS cut shell refurb 002.jpg

blacked roll bar .JPG

• Like 5

Thanks. Dumb question incoming but are they compatible with tamiya axles etc or do you need mods to make the wheels fit correctly? 

The fronts use 850 bearings , easy . The rear needs mods . I cut down Lunchbox rear axles and made the cut to fit into the UJ . Then adapted a Lunchbox 5 stud wheel mount and a slight mod on the rear wheel so that I could fit the wheel mount into the wheel 

• Thanks 1

Only thing I can think of stronger than Problemchild's suggestion is to use some flat aluminium bolted to the body with 3mm bolts. Not as clean looking. I've used that approach to repair/strengthen chassis, but that is hidden by the body.

At least the epoxy/matting will flex a bit. I've had good success with expoxy and gorilla glue.

Also, a wheelie bar will help. :) 

11 minutes ago, LeftyAl said:

Only thing I can think of stronger than Problemchild's suggestion is to use some flat aluminium bolted to the body with 3mm bolts. Not as clean looking. I've used that approach to repair/strengthen chassis, but that is hidden by the body.

At least the epoxy/matting will flex a bit. I've had good success with expoxy and gorilla glue.

Also, a wheelie bar will help. :) 

Yes was going to look at one :)

ok matting and gorilla glue epoxy it is 

JJ

If your standard shell is taking such a beating, would you consider a polycarbonate replacement if the repair doesn't hold together? Kamtec have some nice-looking ones that should significantly out-last the injection moulded stock item.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:24 AM, TurnipJF said:

If your standard shell is taking such a beating, would you consider a polycarbonate replacement if the repair doesn't hold together? Kamtec have some nice-looking ones that should significantly out-last the injection moulded stock item.

Did consider this 

i like the monster beetle look and decals 

I’d have to shell out £30 to just get it smashed up again 

wheelie bar needed most as it’s the shell tearing across the grass that’s damaging 

JJ