Parksey78

Vintage Thunder Shot loft find 😍

So I retrieved my original (1987 I think) Thunder Shot from my parents' loft today, and it's in a fairly sorry state.

The plan is to restore it, it certainly needs some front end suspension parts, but I've got the original instructions and so hopefully eBay will come to the rescue.

The motor and electrics don't look in too bad a state, but not sure how easy it is to upgrade to a modern ESC and receiver, so would appreciate any advice? I've got a spare 540 motor.

The whole thing generally needs a good strip down and clean, but the body is in surprisingly good shape. It'll need new tyres all round too.

And bonus points for anyone who can tell me where it was originally bought from?

20210228_163231.jpg

• Like 8

Doesn’t look like it will be a bad restoration at all.

Modern esc and RX are actually super easy to uograde to . There are plenty of inexpensive ( not cheap quality only cheap price ) brushed ESCs that will plug and play with your existing 540 motor

26 minutes ago, Parksey78 said:

So I retrieved my original (1987 I think) Thunder Shot from my parents' loft today, and it's in a fairly sorry state.

The plan is to restore it, it certainly needs some front end suspension parts, but I've got the original instructions and so hopefully eBay will come to the rescue.

The motor and electrics don't look in too bad a state, but not sure how easy it is to upgrade to a modern ESC and receiver, so would appreciate any advice? I've got a spare 540 motor.

The whole thing generally needs a good strip down and clean, but the body is in surprisingly good shape. It'll need new tyres all round too.

And bonus points for anyone who can tell me where it was originally bought from?

20210228_163231.jpg

I got a metal A5 part and metal terra scorcher shock tower from RCMart for my thunder shot. Works like a charm. What else do you need?

Fj1ZUxd.jpg

• Like 1

You can shop goo the tyre splits and cracks, will keep them going as runners (I've done this may times on rebuilds).

Full strip and rebuild I'd recommend, parts are all fairly reasonably priced at the moment....

A Hobbywing 1060 ESC would be a good option. I use them on my F103/201 cars where space is scarce, so should be OK in the Thunder Shot.

The re-re manual shows an ESC install on page 2

Nice! Looks like another vintage TShot will be on the road again soon.  

Keep us updated on the progress. 

I replaced the MSC with a Hobbywing 1060 ESC last year and haven’t looked back.

I've started stripping down the Thunder Shot to assess what needs replacing/upgrading to get it going again. 

The body and wheels have all had a gone clean, at some point in the future I may replace the shell, but will leave it with the "patina" for now. I also found a second set of wheels/tyres too, with the tyres particularly still looking useable.

I definitely need the A5 part, sounds like that's a known weak point on these original Thunder Shot kits, plus a few C parts. eBay sellers seem to have these available for a few quid, so all good. The shocks are in reasonably good shape, they'll get a good clean and I've got some spare oil from the Lunch Box shocks. I'd seemingly been running it as RWD when I'd last used it, as both front drive shafts were missing, but the parts were in a box of spare bits with the car.

In taking out the front gearbox, my main concern is that the point where it screws in to the chassis on the left-hand side is on the brink of snapping off, so not currently sure what to do about sorting that? Replacement chassis seem to be rarer than hen's teeth! 

Minded to upgrade the MSC to the Hobbywing ESC that's been mentioned, which I think will enable me to run modern NiMH batteries too (please correct me if I'm wrong). For the sake of another few quid, I'll buy an upgraded bearing set too, as I was going to strip and clean both gearboxes anyway.

Other than that, it's not looking too bad. I've got the original instructions too which was an unexpected bonus, and has certainly made dismantling and sorting the various parts much easier. 

20210301_174053.thumb.jpg.258d243c483d0e25ee2a30b0ace0378b.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 10:12 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Beatties purchase  , what did I win ?

Haha, 10/10, although you only win the pride. I have seen these bags sell on eBay for comparatively silly money though.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:02 AM, H22A4 said:

Nice! Looks like another vintage TShot will be on the road again soon.  

Keep us updated on the progress. 

I replaced the MSC with a Hobbywing 1060 ESC last year and haven’t looked back.

Just been reading your thread on your Thunder Shot restoration from a year or so ago, plenty of useful tips there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parksey78 said:

In taking out the front gearbox, my main concern is that the point where it screws in to the chassis on the left-hand side is on the brink of snapping off, so not currently sure what to do about sorting that?

Could you bond in a thin strip of plastic card to the inside as a back up ? it could then be painted black so wouldn't look too obvious

Yes the 1060 is a good standard esc, except in tamiya chassis it's nice to have a proper switch in the proper location....

I have a few 1060' but prefer modelsports xt-20 (or even xt-12) esc, proper switch that can be screwed on the chassis.....just another option to consider

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Could you bond in a thin strip of plastic card to the inside as a back up ? it could then be painted black so wouldn't look too obvious

Bond on the outside of the chassis, I think the inside will be too tight!?

• Like 1

The postman brought me the first of the replacement parts today; a new C part tree, and some shiny new bearings. This should allow me to start rebuilding the chassis, at least up to the point where I need the A5 part, which is on its way. Everything salvageable has otherwise had a good clean and degrease, and looking pretty much like new (well, as best it can for a 30 year old car). Once the ESC arrives as well, I'll hopefully be in a place to actually get it running. 

20210305_141055.jpg

• Like 1

The Thunder Shot is back up and running! :wub:

Not gonna lie, the rebuild was more fiddly than I anticipated, but my sausage fingers aren't well suited to the tiny nuts and bolts involved...

The more observant of you will notice the resistor, as I'm still running it with the original MSC and servo (and receiver). I just couldn't get it wired up properly with the Hobbywing ESC, such that the receiver didn't get really hot. May stick up a separate thread for this.

But yeah, it works, and surprisingly well for a 35 year old car. Happy days.

20210314_174616.jpg

• Like 3

Nicely done and it’s great to see another TS roadworthy!